News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Traditional Radio Faces a Grim Future, New Study Says

Started by ZLoth, September 07, 2017, 04:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Well, they're one of my presets, so you know I disagree with you on that.

I hate advertising in all forms, so I can't stick with just one radio station.  When the ads come on, I just gotta flip to another station.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

I always know I'm up north when the radio stations are tagged "The Bear/The Wolf/The Fox"  FM.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jakeroot

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 02, 2018, 03:22:49 PM
The weird thing about those Jack/Dave/Ben/Bob/Mordecai FM stations is that their tagline is inevitably "we play whatever we want,"  but they play utter shite.

Disagree. Jack FM here in Seattle has a great playlist. Their last three songs as of 0139/3rd Nov 2018 were "Panama", "Smooth Criminal" (Michael Jackson), and "Into the Great Wide Open". That's my kind of playlist!

kphoger

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 03, 2018, 02:27:41 AM
I always know I'm up north when the radio stations are tagged "The Bear/The Wolf/The Fox"  FM.

Wichita has a Spanish-language FM radio station called "Radio Lobo."
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: jakeroot on November 03, 2018, 04:40:34 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on November 02, 2018, 03:22:49 PM
The weird thing about those Jack/Dave/Ben/Bob/Mordecai FM stations is that their tagline is inevitably "we play whatever we want,"  but they play utter shite.

Disagree. Jack FM here in Seattle has a great playlist. Their last three songs as of 0139/3rd Nov 2018 were "Panama", "Smooth Criminal" (Michael Jackson), and "Into the Great Wide Open". That's my kind of playlist!
OK, those are three good songs.

jakeroot

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 03, 2018, 12:38:13 PM
OK, those are three good songs.

Three songs that are indicative of their overall playlist. The last four artists just played were MC Hammer, Journey, Pat Benetar, and Kenny Loggins. Another great lineup.

briantroutman

I was looking at a review of a Volkswagen on an EU-based website, and I noticed on the screen image of the radio's touchscreen that it was tuned to "RADIO BOB!"  in Germany. Of course this thread came to mind. I had no idea that other countries were afflicted with the Jack/Dave/Frank/Bob format.

abefroman329

^^^^^^

Yeah, it looks like the UK has Jack-FM, Sam-FM, and Bob-FM.

I hope Bob-FM's bumpers include Rowan Atkinson saying "Bob" from the Blackadder TV series.

Mr_Northside

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

abefroman329

Quote from: Mr_Northside on January 16, 2019, 03:58:42 PM

Yep, just like that.

What happened to english si?  Haven't seen him around here since before Christmas.

bing101

kevinb1994

SP Cook

$12.5 Million for an AM that is currently 24th overall in its market; 8th among non-music stations. 

Grim future, indeed.

golden eagle

Radio can come back if the Telecommunications Act of 1996 could be abolished. There was a time when one could own only one FM and one AM in a single market. Behemoths like Cumulus and iHeartRadio/Clear Channel were born out of this. They sacrificed local content and now, you can hear stations in the same format play the same songs in the same order.

kevinb1994

Quote from: golden eagle on June 28, 2019, 09:01:10 PM
Radio can come back if the Telecommunications Act of 1996 could be abolished. There was a time when one could own only one FM and one AM in a single market. Behemoths like Cumulus and iHeartRadio/Clear Channel were born out of this. They sacrificed local content and now, you can hear stations in the same format play the same songs in the same order.
Unfortunately that can't easily happen due to the interests in Silicon Valley and elsewhere.

briantroutman

Quote from: bing101 on June 27, 2019, 01:42:43 PM
Cumulus has sold WABC-AM New York to Red Apple.[/size]

Note that buyer "Red Apple"  is the company primarily known for Kwik Fill gas stations (with their Red Apple convenience stores) and Gristedes grocery stores in New York City. For the company's billionaire founder, John Catsimatidis, who has hosted a vanity radio show on a lesser New York talk station in his spare time, the purchase of WABC at a fire sale price translates to a mere 1/2500th of his net worth–equivalent to a middle class American worth $500,000 buying a $200 toy.

kevinb1994

Quote from: briantroutman on June 29, 2019, 06:07:47 PM
Quote from: bing101 on June 27, 2019, 01:42:43 PM
Cumulus has sold WABC-AM New York to Red Apple.

Note that buyer "Red Apple"  is the company primarily known for Kwik Fill gas stations (with their Red Apple convenience stores) and Gristedes grocery stores in New York City. For the company's billionaire founder, John Catsimatidis, who has hosted a vanity radio show on a lesser New York talk station in his spare time, the purchase of WABC at a fire sale price translates to a mere 1/2500th of his net worth–equivalent to a middle class American worth $500,000 buying a $200 toy.
I was wondering how I seemed familiar with the naming of that company. Now it all makes sense to me.

bing101

bing101

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/KNBR-Sports-Radio-Expands-to-FM-at-the-Expense-of-KFOG-558365091.html

http://www.knbr.com/2019/08/26/knbr-680-to-be-simulcast-on-104-5-fm-starting-september-6/

Cumulus has announced on September 6th that San Francisco's KFOG-FM will Simulcast Sports/Talk KNBR Radio.

KFOG was once known for Rock for 37 years and is now going away for Sports/Talk.

bandit957

Quote from: bing101 on August 27, 2019, 12:19:24 PM
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/KNBR-Sports-Radio-Expands-to-FM-at-the-Expense-of-KFOG-558365091.html

http://www.knbr.com/2019/08/26/knbr-680-to-be-simulcast-on-104-5-fm-starting-september-6/

Cumulus has announced on September 6th that San Francisco's KFOG-FM will Simulcast Sports/Talk KNBR Radio.

KFOG was once known for Rock for 37 years and is now going away for Sports/Talk.

Just more proof that radio is dead. Dead from self-inflicted wounds.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bing101

US71

Quote from: bing101 on January 15, 2020, 01:05:08 PM
https://radioinsight.com/headlines/183270/ongoing-list-of-those-affected-by-iheartmedia-cuts/   
Iheart is facing nationwide layoffs/ cuts as of January 2020 for "restructuring'" reasons.

Betcha they go to a satellite feed ala Sirius XM.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Brandon

Quote from: bing101 on January 15, 2020, 01:05:08 PM
https://radioinsight.com/headlines/183270/ongoing-list-of-those-affected-by-iheartmedia-cuts/   
Iheart is facing nationwide layoffs/ cuts as of January 2020 for "restructuring'" reasons.

Probably because iHateRadio sucks and is what's wrong with terrestrial radio at this point.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

thenetwork

Celebrities and other creative elements (Car Pool Karaoke, etc...) are what make late-night talk shows popular and profitable on TV.   

Spending money on good athletes to lead your team into playoff contention is what makes sports teams profitable and popular.

Eliminating talent and large music libraries (on non-current hit stations) while airing 5-10 minutes of straight commercials is NOT going to make your radio stations profitable nor popular.

iHeart, Cumulus and Entercom don't get it.

US71

There was a radio station when I was in college that preached "less talk" but it often felt like 5-10 minutes where they preached "less talk".

Less talk, less talk, less talk...did we mention less talk ?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.