Song by a great artist but was definitely something that sucked

Started by roadman65, July 09, 2019, 09:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on July 17, 2019, 08:50:57 AM
I'm not a Beatles fan, so any of their stuff would go under my "worst of..." collection.
I still have to say that I really dig how you don't like anything anyone else likes. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on July 16, 2019, 08:50:45 PM

Quote from: kurumi on July 09, 2019, 09:48:46 PM
Stand - REM (even worse than Shiny Happy People)

I could go either way with 'Stand', but that's kind of how I feel about the whole album.

Hmm.  I just listened to the album again while washing up after dinner, and I remember my least-favorite REM song:  'The Wrong Child'.  I know it sounds the way they intended it to, but it just feels off to me, it's repetitive, and the vocals get piercingly annoying.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bing101

Quote from: kurumi on July 09, 2019, 09:48:46 PM

Stand - REM (even worse than Shiny Happy People)

Yes, these are all older songs, back when I listened to the radio, and you were sometimes "stuck" waiting out a bad song to get to the next one. Less of an issue now.

The inverse of this:
Beautiful Stranger - Madonna. Most of her other stuff I won't say is bad, but I dislike it. "Beautiful Stranger" (which she wrote) is far ahead of anything else she recorded IMO.

Shiny Happy People on of REM's worst songs happens to be on the same Album (Out Of Time) where REM's best Song Losing My Religion was big.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_Time_(album)

kphoger

'Out of Time' and 'Automatic for the People' were the best REM albums ever, hands down.  I like all the songs on both of them.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

golden eagle

Quote from: roadman65 on July 16, 2019, 12:25:14 PM
Hold On My Heart from Genesis kind of sounds lame. I think it's it's a failed recreation of In Too Deep.

That's one my favorite Genesis songs, but that's soft even for them.

golden eagle

Quote from: inkyatari on July 16, 2019, 11:39:00 AM
People dog on Susudio by Phil Collins, but I like that song.  It's a fun piece of fluff.

Dance Into the Light, however... *shudders*

The only issue about Sussudio is not the song itself, but what kind of name is Sussudio?

Not only do I agree about Dance Into the Light, but I despise Phil's remake of True Colors.

inkyatari

Quote from: golden eagle on July 18, 2019, 07:18:01 AM
Quote from: inkyatari on July 16, 2019, 11:39:00 AM
People dog on Susudio by Phil Collins, but I like that song.  It's a fun piece of fluff.

Dance Into the Light, however... *shudders*

The only issue about Sussudio is not the song itself, but what kind of name is Sussudio?

Not only do I agree about Dance Into the Light, but I despise Phil's remake of True Colors.

I forgot about that.  Probably for good reason.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

inkyatari

Quote from: kphoger on July 17, 2019, 09:49:57 PM
'Out of Time' and 'Automatic for the People' were the best REM albums ever, hands down.  I like all the songs on both of them.

I don't own Automatic for the People, but I think Green is WAY better than Out of Time, and, as previously stated, I like SHiny Happy People.

roadman65

Quote from: golden eagle on July 18, 2019, 07:13:06 AM
Hold On My Heart from Genesis kind of sounds lame. I think it’s it’s a failed recreation of In Too Deep.

That’s one my favorite Genesis songs, but that’s soft even for them.
Most Genesis fans consider all music after the departure of Steve Hackett as bad Genesis due to their switch in genre from And Then There Were Three on to their demise.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on July 17, 2019, 10:43:52 AM
I'm not a Beatles fan, so any of their stuff would go under my "worst of..." collection.
I still have to say that I really dig how you don't like anything anyone else likes. :D

I was always a Stones person in the great Stones vs. Beatles debate, but prefer Zeppelin to both of them.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

inkyatari

Quote from: roadman65 on July 18, 2019, 10:23:20 AM
Hold On My Heart from Genesis kind of sounds lame. I think it's it's a failed recreation of In Too Deep.

Most Genesis fans consider all music after the departure of Steve Hackett as bad Genesis due to their switch in genre from And Then There Were Three on to their demise.
There's very little before Phil took the band over that I like.

Mark68

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 15, 2019, 05:09:09 PM
I always thought 52nd Avenue was his best album.  But I have to go with Ellentown as his best song.

Personally not a big fan of Downtown Diva.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

Mark68

Quote from: roadman65 on July 18, 2019, 10:23:20 AM

I consider myself a fan of prog rock, but I don't know if I can really get into Genesis' first few albums. I think my favorites are the period from And the Lamb Lies Down... to the self-titled album.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

hbelkins

I loved Abacab. Invisible Touch was too pop-oriented for me, but I got into We Can't Dance because it contained a lot of longer form songs, like "Driving The Last Spike."

roadman65

Actually I liked Abacab, Duke, Genesis (the Mama Album), Invisible Touch, and even We Can't Dance.  Even though too pop oriented they were all great.

Sheryl Crowe

kurumi

Quote from: roadman65 on July 19, 2019, 11:29:07 PM
Actually I liked Abacab, Duke, Genesis (the Mama Album), Invisible Touch, and even We Can't Dance.  Even though too pop oriented they were all great.

If you like Duke-era Genesis, check out Frost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obhWmBvb7gE
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

roadman65

Free Form Guitar by Chicago.  Reminds me of Revolution 9 by the Beatles.  Just sound effects put together, even though its just Terry Kath messing with his guitar the whole track.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Quote from: roadman65 on July 20, 2019, 11:41:28 AM
Free Form Guitar by Chicago.  Reminds me of Revolution 9 by the Beatles.  Just sound effects put together, even though its just Terry Kath messing with his guitar the whole track.

It's the 50th anniversary of that album, and a remix is due out next month. I've heard the "Beginnings" off of it, and it pushes the vocals and acoustic guitar to the front of the mix.

Hard to believe that same band, 15 years later, was putting out stuff like "Along Comes A Woman" and "You're the Inspiration."

bing101

Train they were a great band from the 2000's but they had 2 cheesy songs Marry Me and Hey Soul Sister. Well the Crew just got caught up with the rivalry against Maroon 5 though for best pop bands of the decade.

bing101

Train I was drawn into them for Drops of Jupiter and Calling All Angels.

tchafe1978

How about not just a song, but a whole album? Metallica is probably my favorite band but made a whole album, St. Anger, that basically sucked, aside from maybe two songs. The awful snare drum tone, combined with the total lack of guitar solos, makes it almost unlistenable. The lyrical content is there, but I cant get past the other big faults.

https://youtu.be/CMT3ltwbd5s

Quote from: hbelkins on July 18, 2019, 12:42:38 PM
Quote from: Rothman on July 17, 2019, 10:43:52 AM

I was always a Stones person in the great Stones vs. Beatles debate, but prefer Zeppelin to both of them.
I'm the opposite:
1. Beatles
2. Stones
3. Zeppelin
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.