News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Disconnected states

Started by usends, March 19, 2009, 03:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: kphoger on August 05, 2019, 01:56:26 PM
The fastest way from Sayre to Hallstead (PA) is by way of New York.

*gasp*  Pennsylvania is a disconnected state!   :rolleyes:

Similar situation can be found in West Virginia. 

I had reason to speak with a planner on the staff of WVDOT in Charleston many years ago.  He had to attend meetings of the HEPMPO (Hagerstown/Eastern Panhandle Metropolitan Planning Organization) which is based in Hagerstown, Maryland but includes a fair amount of the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia.

The fastest way for him to get to meetings there was to leave the day before the (morning) meeting. and drive to a motel in Martinsburg (West Virginia), south of Hagerstown (I think state policy made it easier to get approval to lodge at an in-state property).  The fastest route then was I-79 to I-68 to U.S. 522 to WV-9 to Martinsburg, though Corridor H has made for a faster (but not fastest) trip - I-79 to U.S. 48 to U.S. 219 (also signed 48 now) to WV-32 back to U.S. 48 to WV-259 to VA-259 to U.S. 50 to VA-37 to I-81 to Martinsburg is about 20 minutes slower than the fastest route using I-68 above.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.