News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Wegman's

Started by froggie, June 14, 2015, 07:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

briantroutman

Quote from: Snappyjack on June 19, 2015, 06:27:43 PM
...Harris Teeter, but that's about it.

I wouldn't write off a Harris Teeter/Wegmans feud so easily. Wegmans has been expanding south in search of more affluent markets (Northern NJ, Philadelphia suburbs) while Harris Teeter has expanded northward having already saturated the South. The fertile battleground would appear to be the Baltimore-Washington region, where both are making inroads.

cl94

Quote from: briantroutman on June 19, 2015, 07:15:02 PM
Quote from: Snappyjack on June 19, 2015, 06:27:43 PM
...Harris Teeter, but that's about it.

I wouldn't write off a Harris Teeter/Wegmans feud so easily. Wegmans has been expanding south in search of more affluent markets (Northern NJ, Philadelphia suburbs) while Harris Teeter has expanded northward having already saturated the South. The fertile battleground would appear to be the Baltimore-Washington region, where both are making inroads.

Agree completely. During TRB, my hotel was a block from the Harris Teeter in NoMa and I visited twice for food. Prepared food options were pretty similar to those found at Wegmans locations in their newer markets. Wegmans has better wings (as they should, being from Western New York), but Harris Teeter had better Chinese food, IMO. From the prepared foods and bakery standpoint, they are extremely similar chains.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

1995hoo

There are plenty of Kroger locations in Virginia (as opposed to Teeter), but none in the area that overlaps where Wegmans entered the market.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NJRoadfan

Harris Teeter is nothing to write home about. One thing I have noticed is the old Jersey standby... Shop-Rite.. has seen an increase in prepared food offerings. All the new ones seem to have it now under the branding of "Shop-Rite Kitchen". This is despite the light presence of Wegmans in this market.

vdeane

Quote from: NJRoadfan on June 20, 2015, 02:21:18 AM
Harris Teeter is nothing to write home about.
Tell that to the person who made a music video about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lclCv6wPeU
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NJRoadfan

Harris Teeter reminds me of Kings (an upscale supermarket chain in the NYC area), maybe a step below it. Very few of their locations have prepared food, and the overall selection of stuff is lower then the average northeastern supermarket. They do have very good customer service though. When my relatives ordered a sheet cake for my cousin's graduation, they lost the order so it wasn't ready on the time promised. Not only did they say the cost was on them, they even delivered it to the house when it was ready!

Pete from Boston

Quote from: NJRoadfan on June 21, 2015, 01:50:02 AM
Harris Teeter reminds me of Kings (an upscale supermarket chain in the NYC area), maybe a step below it. Very few of their locations have prepared food, and the overall selection of stuff is lower then the average northeastern supermarket. They do have very good customer service though. When my relatives ordered a sheet cake for my cousin's graduation, they lost the order so it wasn't ready on the time promised. Not only did they say the cost was on them, they even delivered it to the house when it was ready!

I'm surprised Kings doesn't get their clock cleaned by Whole Foods.  Kings sells high quality fish, meats, prepared foods, and some high-end packaged goods labels.  Overall, though, it's just expensive.  I've always suspected a big chunk of their business comes from folks who prefer to be seen shopping at Kings rather than ShopRite. 

txstateends

One thing that cracks me up about QVC is that when there's a presentation of something like can openers or package sealers, they always use Wegman's store brand items as props.  They don't tape over the name or anything.  (HSN, OTOH, uses whatever they get then they tape over the brand name)
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

02 Park Ave

King's closed their only South Jersey store around 25 years ago.
C-o-H

skaguy

When we moved to DC, we were so excited about having so many Whole Foods in the area.  My girlfriend has a gluten allergy and we use to make around a 30 mile trek in the Nashville metro area to Whole Foods as the selection and price was much better than Kroger or Publix, which are beyond outrageous. 

However, once we got up here to DC, we went to Wegman's and absolutely love it.  The selection of products and prices are absolutely top notch and we don't even shop at Whole Foods any more.  I particularly like their ribeyes and strip steaks, though we get other meats such as ground beef and chicken from Costco.  The new Wegman's that just opened in Springfield, VA according to my girlfriend is much larger than the other ones we've been to in Ashburn, Leesburg, Gainesville, and Fairfax and those stores are very good sized.

1995hoo

The new Wegmans that just opened is a few minutes from where we live. I don't think it's larger than the other ones. The main difference, as far as I can tell, is the new store's inclusion of the pub. (I had a late lunch there last Friday, a French dip with fries and three pints of DC Brau Corruption IPA on tap. All pretty good.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Wegmans is the best grocery store on the planet.
What's most interesting about them here in Rochester is the distinct, and almost total, lack of true competition. Everyone shops there, and if they do go to other stores as well, it's not really at Wegman's expense. There was some concern that Trader Joe's, which opened in Pittsford a few years back, would hurt Wegmans. But that never really came to fruition, and business is booming at both Pittsford Wegmans and Trader Joes.

I think there's a few things Wegmans has going for them
-Wide-reaching target market. Everyone has a reason to go there, whether its for affordable groceries, the prepared foods, the food bar, or the pharmacy.
-Good marketing. They're not afraid to call out the competition. They have signs like "Tops Price $2.99, BJS Price $2.19, Wegmans Price $2.09"  all over the place. Their price lock strategy is a good one, too.
-Clean and Efficient. Always well maintained. I've even gone in there a few times just to use the bathrooms. Their cashiers are always friendly, and they always have enough registers open, unlike Tops and Aldi.
-Market Café. No other grocery store has as many hot and ready lunch options. People around here often take their visitors there just for lunch, just for the experience. Can't beat the atmosphere and the variety.
-Smart Expansion Strategy. Going east with new stores was a good move, as was building higher-end stores at many of the new locations. That helps build up a good reputation, hopefully enabling them to be a nationwide chain someday.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: webny99 on January 25, 2018, 10:48:33 AM
Most people who regularly shop at Publix would probably disagree with you on that, lol.

Both Publix and Wegman's seem to be the top of the food chain when it comes to grocery stores here in the US. Both keep their stores clean and well maintained, have pharmacies, good customer service, good Delis/Market Cafés and good/competitive prices (or at least lots of ways to save money). Both also have strong fanbases in the areas that they operate in and routinely both rank at or near the top of any list comparing grocery stores. However, while it seems that Wegman's is #1 for product variety and prices, Publix seems to tend to edge them out slightly in customer service and in the deli (Publix's subs are very well liked, with many people ranking them at #1 or close to it, and Southern Kitchen claims that Publix does fried chicken better than most fried chicken restaurants in the south, though they didn't compare Chick-fil-a to any of them oddly enough).

Personally, I think that a grocery store that combined the best elements of Wegman's and Publix would be almost entirely unstoppable here in the US.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Takumi

Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 25, 2018, 02:38:26 PM
Most people who regularly shop at Publix would probably disagree with you on that, lol.

Both Publix and Wegman's seem to be the top of the food chain when it comes to grocery stores here in the US. Both keep their stores clean and well maintained, have pharmacies, good customer service, good Delis/Market Cafés and good/competitive prices (or at least lots of ways to save money). Both also have strong fanbases in the areas that they operate in and routinely both rank at or near the top of any list comparing grocery stores. However, while it seems that Wegman's is #1 for product variety and prices, Publix seems to tend to edge them out slightly in customer service and in the deli (Publix's subs are very well liked, with many people ranking them at #1 or close to it, and Southern Kitchen claims that Publix does fried chicken better than most fried chicken restaurants in the south, though they didn't compare Chick-fil-a to any of them oddly enough).

Personally, I think that a grocery store that combined the best elements of Wegman's and Publix would be almost entirely unstoppable here in the US.
Richmond is one of two markets with both stores, and Publix seems to be slightly more popular.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

jeffandnicole

...Southern Kitchen claims that Publix does fried chicken better than most fried chicken restaurants in the south, though they didn't compare Chick-fil-a to any of them oddly enough).

Chick-fil-a doesn't really do fried chicken.  Chicken sandwiches and nuggets don't count!

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Takumi on January 25, 2018, 03:06:46 PM

Richmond is one of two markets with both stores, and Publix seems to be slightly more popular.
Will be interesting to see which chain "wins" Virginia, though I wouldn't be surprised if they wind-up just splitting the state and expanding westwards in their general regions.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 25, 2018, 03:19:43 PM
...Southern Kitchen claims that Publix does fried chicken better than most fried chicken restaurants in the south, though they didn't compare Chick-fil-a to any of them oddly enough).

Chick-fil-a doesn't really do fried chicken.  Chicken sandwiches and nuggets don't count!
I guess. They still make some pretty good chicken though.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

hotdogPi

Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 25, 2018, 03:27:29 PM
Will be interesting to see which chain "wins" Virginia, though I wouldn't be surprised if they wind-up just splitting the state and expanding westwards in their general regions.

Kentucky was split from Virginia in 1792, which was reasonable (not every state has to touch the Atlantic coast).

West Virginia was split from Virginia during and due to the Civil War.

But splitting Virginia into two over a Wegman's/Publix rivalry? That's crazy!  :bigass:
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

freebrickproductions

Quote from: 1 on January 25, 2018, 03:30:31 PM

Kentucky was split from Virginia in 1792, which was reasonable (not every state has to touch the Atlantic coast).

West Virginia was split from Virginia during and due to the Civil War.

But splitting Virginia into two over a Wegman's/Publix rivalry? That's crazy!  :bigass:
:-D

I was talking about territorially (like how Sheetz and WaWa have pretty much split PA when it comes to where their stores are), but that could work too! :spin:

(They/Them)

briantroutman

-1 on Publix. And that's coming from someone who used to live within walking distance of a Publix and shopped there nearly every other day.

There was an ongoing sidebar discussion in another thread about overhyped burger chains. In my opinion, if there was an award for most overhyped supermarket, Publix would easily take home the gold medal.

All of the locations I frequented when I lived in Tampa–and those that I visited in Orlando, South Florida, and Jacksonville–were fairly middle-of-the-road supermarkets. In terms of facilities or selection, they were no larger or more special than any run-of-the-mill Giant, Safeway, Weis, Kroger...take your pick. Certainly nothing even approaching the typical palatial Wegmans. I'll grant that Publix stores were usually clean and well stocked, but if you were looking for anything special or out-of-the-ordinary, I wouldn't count on Publix to stock it. Pricing was unremarkable.

I don't eat meat, so I can't comment on Publix deli meats or famous Cubans. But I have ordered cheese subs there, and they were fine but not worth gushing over. I think Wegmans' sub rolls are noticeably better.

Most of the Publix praise I've read or heard makes reference to service. This proved to be a negative when I visited. "Service"  meant having no self-checkout stands, thus forcing me to wait at a manned checkstand while an elderly cashier exchanged pleasantries with other customers and occasionally scanned a grocery. "Service"  also meant not offering cart corrals and training customers to leave carts laying around in the parking lot because "service"  meant wasting employee time on perpetual cart patrols.

I don't want bad or rude service, and I hate it when a cashier can't even be bothered to make eye contact or say hello. But I don't want a cashier to pretend to be my friend for five minutes while I'm trying to get on with my day. Just do your job competently and with a positive attitude, and save the bull-shooting for Gomer at the filling station.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: briantroutman on January 25, 2018, 03:34:48 PM
Service” meant having no self-checkout stands
To each their own I guess (I personally hate self checkouts and avoid using them as much as possible), but I have seen that newer Publix locations tend to feature self checkouts up at the front.

(They/Them)

webny99

That was a superlative intended mostly as humor, and to catch your attention :D Funny enough, I'd never heard of Publix before this.

Wegmans can be pretty aggressive, and I think their expansions/new store decisions are usually pretty well calculated. They probably won't just back off if they end up in conflicting territory.

Takumi

Quote from: Takumi on January 25, 2018, 03:06:46 PM

Currently there are around a dozen Publixes and two Wegmans around Richmond, but the way they build their stores is different. Most, if not all, of the Publix locations were former Ukrop's/Martin's stores that were sold when Ahold and Delhaize merged, while the Wegmans are both new construction and brought other businesses with them. Raleigh is the other overlapping market.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Takumi

Quote from: webny99 on January 25, 2018, 03:41:29 PM
That was a superlative intended mostly as humor, and to catch your attention
I just figured you were an employee.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

webny99

Quote from: Takumi on January 25, 2018, 03:44:18 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 25, 2018, 03:41:29 PM
That was a superlative intended mostly as humor, and to catch your attention
I just figured you were an employee.
[read: Takumi thinks Wegman's employees are stuck-up]
Or are you merely alluding to how many times they've made the "Best 100 Companies to Work For" list?

Mapmikey

Quote from: Takumi on January 25, 2018, 03:43:28 PM

Currently there are around a dozen Publixes and two Wegmans around Richmond, but the way they build their stores is different. Most, if not all, of the Publix locations were former Ukrop's/Martin's stores that were sold when Ahold and Delhaize merged, while the Wegmans are both new construction and brought other businesses with them. Raleigh is the other overlapping market.

Fredericksburg is about to be another overlapping market...getting its first Publix after having a Wegman's for several years now.

I remember when Publix came to South Carolina nearly 30 years ago.  People liked them a lot - the stores were way more modern than long-standing chains like Piggly Wiggly, Winn Dixie, BiLo, and Doschers.  It reminded me of when Kroger came to the Charleston area about 1979...they just out-classed all the existing stores in terms of size and selection.

Wegman's is terrific on most fronts.  My biggest criticism of them is that they constantly move entire sections of the store around...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.