News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Locally famous foods

Started by webny99, January 17, 2018, 10:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 02, 2018, 02:40:00 PM
Gravy or ketchup on a pasty both sound disgusting, but I've only had pasties in England.

Pasties? Isn't that what lady dancers wear? ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on February 02, 2018, 04:29:41 PM
Gravy or ketchup on a pasty both sound disgusting, but I've only had pasties in England.

Am I glad I wasn't the only one thinking that.  :rofl:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

1995hoo

Quote from: cjk374 on February 02, 2018, 07:52:47 PM

Am I glad I wasn't the only one thinking that.  :rofl:

That's not unlike the Brits eating lorries.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

It did look odd when I posted it.  But the plural form isn't pastys, is it?

Brandon

Yooper ones are a little bit different, and they use gravy or ketchup on them extensively.

Smartass.  That's a pay-stee, the food is pahs-tee.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

MNHighwayMan

There's nothing that says that I can't put pasties on my body and dance, too. :bigass:

abefroman329

Actually, it gets worse: Now that I think about it, the only, erm, occasions on which I've had a Cornish pasty in England have involved eating a Cornish pasty purchased from a gas station.

english si

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 02, 2018, 08:45:15 PMThat's not unlike the Brits eating cigarettes.
That autocorrect is terrible - offal balls (qaggots) and cigarettes (qags) aren't the same.
Quote from: abefroman329 on February 06, 2018, 01:42:41 PM
Actually, it gets worse: Now that I think about it, the only, erm, occasions on which I've had a Cornish pasty in England have involved eating a Cornish pasty purchased from a gas station.
Nowt wrong with Garage Ginsters. Other than the Accidental Partridge of it all:

Ketchup or gravy on a Cornish Pasty is fine. Just don't tell the Cornish Liberation Army though, or you might get attacked for cultural appropriation.

US71

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 06, 2018, 11:03:40 AM

There's nothing that says that I can't put pasties on my body and dance, too. :bigass:

TFTMS

Flint1979

Beef gravy on french fries is awesome.

CoreySamson

Noticed this thread didn't have many Texas submissions, so I'll add some SE TX favorites:

Beef Jerky
Mostly because of Buc-ee's, which has tons of flavors of it.

Street Tacos
Somewhat of a California thing, but these are popular at local Mexican restaurants.

Crawfish
SE Texas has almost as many crawfish boils as Louisiana does. When it's in season, you can find it nearly anywhere, including Mexican restaurants. But these three don't really measure up to the best unique Texas food:

Kolaches
This is the king of brunch in Texas. It was brought here by Czech immigrants in West and Fredericksburg and has spread around the state. It usually consists of some sort of meat (usually a type of sausage) inside a doughy bun. The most basic ones are just a hot dog wrapped in dough and cooked, but you can get them with cheese, different kinds of sausage, jalapenos, and a ton more. They even have ones with fruit for dessert. These are among the best things Buc-ee's sells, BTW.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

US71

Italian spaghetti at Venesian Inn, Tontitown, AR

OCGuy81

Quote from: CoreySamson on March 18, 2021, 09:33:31 PM
Noticed this thread didn't have many Texas submissions, so I'll add some SE TX favorites:

Beef Jerky
Mostly because of Buc-ee's, which has tons of flavors of it.

Street Tacos
Somewhat of a California thing, but these are popular at local Mexican restaurants.

Crawfish
SE Texas has almost as many crawfish boils as Louisiana does. When it's in season, you can find it nearly anywhere, including Mexican restaurants. But these three don't really measure up to the best unique Texas food:

Kolaches
This is the king of brunch in Texas. It was brought here by Czech immigrants in West and Fredericksburg and has spread around the state. It usually consists of some sort of meat (usually a type of sausage) inside a doughy bun. The most basic ones are just a hot dog wrapped in dough and cooked, but you can get them with cheese, different kinds of sausage, jalapenos, and a ton more. They even have ones with fruit for dessert. These are among the best things But-ee's sells, BTW.

Kolaches!! Had those last time I was in Houston. So good!

Speaking of breakfast items, one I always get when I visit family in Wisconsin is Kringle. Not sure if that's been mentioned here or not, but the O&H Bakery in Racine,WI makes the best ones.

Kringle is a large, ring shaped pastry consisting of several thin layers filled with things like fruit, cream cheese, chocolate.

US71

Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 18, 2021, 09:45:11 PM

Kolaches!! Had those last time I was in Houston. So good!

Aren't kolaches when you wear on feet when it's raining?  :rofl:

sparker

There's not too many CA-originating food specialties, not counting the various hamburger chains that originated here (Mickey Dee's, In-N-Out, Carl's Jr. -- all started in the eastern suburbs of L.A.!).  Nevertheless, there's a few that come to mind -- beerocks (nee' biroc) in the Fresno area -- essentially an Armenian burrito/wrap, with spiced beef and minced onion as the most common ingredients).  Also, the variety of pizza more concerned with massive amounts of toppings rather than the NY or even Chicago styles, typified by Shakey's, which originated in Sacramento just after WWII; it's often dismissed as a large cracker topped with everything that'll fit!  In addition -- although they've been slowly dying out in recent years -- the "hof brau" meat-plate/sandwich palaces seemed to have permeated NorCal as long as I can remember; I used to frequent the Sam's at the corner of 17th and L in Sacramento for a pastrami on an onion roll -- and would see various state politicos sequestered in their dark wooden booths during lunchtime.  They always had both Gulden's (brown) and French's (yellow) mustard in jars on the tables -- but also those little round bottles of Inglehoffer German-style mustard with whole seeds (my favorite on pastrami!).  I understand that there are a few establishments of this type in Wisconsin and around Chicagoland (saw one in Green Bay in the early '90's), but never to the extent of the CA concentration that seemed to peak in the early '80's with Sam's in the Valley and Harry's in the Bay Area (the latter now down to one Redwood City outlet).

Flint1979

Saginaw's most famous local food is a Giant Steak Sandwich. It's not like the Philly cheesesteak though this is a sandwich on long slices of Italian bread (more about the bread in a minute), cube steak and sauce. Tony's Home of the Giant Steak Sandwich has been a Saginaw icon for 75 years since the Lagalo boys opened their father's grocery store at 1003 S. Weadock and converted it into a restaurant calling it Tony's which was their father's name. The original Lagalo family that started Tony's had 13 children and as their family branched out more Tony's locations were opened across the area. Now about the bread I was talking about earlier, it's made by a local Italian bakery that has been in business in Saginaw since 1915 it's called The Napolitano Bakery located at 2614 State Street in Saginaw next door to the oldest Tony's still open. The Napolitano and Lagalo families were great friends and still are to this day and Tony's has been serving their bread on their steak sandwiches since 1947.

I'm a lifer of this place (meaning I've been eating here my entire life and will not stop eating here). This is the Tony's at 1029 Gratiot which is by far the best one of them all and located across the street from another iconic Saginaw bakery (Hamilton Home Bakery).

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4149905,-83.9765594,3a,24.9y,183.17h,89.41t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sJJ83jtxJ4QAnwSY13Dg7Fg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DJJ83jtxJ4QAnwSY13Dg7Fg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D358.08008%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

formulanone

Quote from: CoreySamson on March 18, 2021, 09:33:31 PM
Kolaches
This is the king of brunch in Texas. It was brought here by Czech immigrants in West and Fredericksburg and has spread around the state. It usually consists of some sort of meat (usually a type of sausage) inside a doughy bun. The most basic ones are just a hot dog wrapped in dough and cooked, but you can get them with cheese, different kinds of sausage, jalapenos, and a ton more. They even have ones with fruit for dessert. These are among the best things Buc-ee's sells, BTW.

Definitely a Central Texas thing, though I've spotted them in a few random places in Houston, Galveston, Louisiana, and even Jackson, Mississippi. I usually pick up donuts on Thursdays or Fridays for work and specifically look for them.

Kolaches can be heartburn-inducing, but they're so very filling.

Flint1979

I'm not sure if I've ever nominated any of the Coney Islands around the Detroit in Flint area on here. I'm actually sitting in the parking lot of Flint's iconic Coney Island restaurants right now which is Starlite.

A Flint style coney is just like a Detroit style coney except it has a more meater sauce rather than a loose chili it's like a ground beef texture. Flint is actually a mini Detroit and both cities share similarities with each other.

Starlite sits on the Burton side of Center Road on the Flint/Burton border just south of Davison Road.

The third picture shows what's across the street on the Flint side of Center Road.

TheHighwayMan3561

The Twin Cities: the Ju(i)cy Lucy, a hamburger stuffed with cheese in the middle. The two places that claim they created it are Matt's Bar and the 5-8 Club, both on Cedar Avenue in south Minneapolis. I've been to the 5-8 (which has expanded to a couple other locations) but not Matt's. Other popular local places with it are the Blue Door and The Nook in St. Paul, which are both excellent.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kevinb1994

From a Jersey native, born and raised there, I'll recommend Tony Luke's. Had a teacher recommend it once, he taught math (what else-not a surprise).

Flint1979

Quote from: kevinb1994 on March 22, 2021, 10:41:04 PM
From a Jersey native, born and raised there, I'll recommend Tony Luke's. Had a teacher recommend it once, he taught math (what else-not a surprise).
Tony Luke's is awesome.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 22, 2021, 10:41:56 PM
Tony Luke's is awesome.
They had a Manayunk location for awhile, but it is closed now.

Flint1979

Quote from: kevinb1994 on March 22, 2021, 10:42:48 PM
Tony Luke's is awesome.
The one I ate at was by Whitman Plaza.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 22, 2021, 10:46:11 PM
Tony Luke's is awesome.
That's the original, which I'll have to check out sometime.

Flint1979

Quote from: kevinb1994 on March 22, 2021, 10:48:12 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on March 22, 2021, 10:46:11 PM
Tony Luke's is awesome.
That's the original, which I'll have to check out sometime.
It was awesome. Better than Pat's or Gino's.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.