News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What is your roadgeek "guilty pleasure(s)"?

Started by index, February 02, 2018, 03:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

index

What do you like or do in roadgeeking that most of us would consider garbage/bad/obsolete/etc? (or you think most of us would consider it that way?)

- Circlejerking with Colossalblocks about how good truss bridges are and how much new bridges suck.

- A liking towards old infrastructure, (particularly bridges, although anything goes mostly) no matter how bad of shape it's in or obsolete it is, and can't stand it being replaced even when I know it's absolutely necessary.

- A like of Botts Dots, even though they're not very good for rain visibility, and in some cases, visibility in general. Plows also scrape them up.

- 8/12 inch signals some would consider ugly, such as these: https://goo.gl/U9bg2W

- A lot of people don't like gantry signals. I do.

- I like Clearview for the most part, especially BCMOT's (British Columbia's equivalent of a DOT) use of it.

- Signals with double red lights. https://goo.gl/N44aA8 https://goo.gl/NctjgU

- Suffixed and split routes.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

MNHighwayMan

Complete and thorough route marker signage, especially for routes that might follow odd paths or streets through downtowns. The lack of signage for US Routes in places like Washington DC and Memphis actually really irritates me. :banghead:

ColossalBlocks

Bott's dots. (Cue me getting lynched by angry roadgeeks)

Also, truss bridges are pieces of transportation history that must be preserved at all costs. (cue circlejerk)
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Scott5114

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on February 02, 2018, 03:59:56 PM
Also, truss bridges are pieces of transportation history that must be preserved at all costs. (cue circlejerk)

You guys see the new one ODOT just built?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Hurricane Rex

Doing Google Earth Interstate marathon (currently doing interstate 20).

Speed xx signs (although I'm only asking for the FHSA to use the 20-inch letters instead of the 16 inch used).

Fictional Speed limits.

This list may be updated.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

ColossalBlocks

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 02, 2018, 04:11:54 PM

Link to bridge please.

adventurernumber1

Actually, I must have missed out on something, because I assumed that most people liked Bott's Dotts. It sounds like that may not be the case, but I personally sure love them.  :biggrin:

As for my roadgeek guilty pleasures:

1) Intensely enjoying even the most monotonous of Highways - as an example, I would be incredibly excited if someone told me that they were going to drive me both ways along the entire length of Interstate 16. Of course, what I enjoy the most is the most interesting stuff (and some roads are definitely comparatively more interesting than others), but I do not find any roads boring - I have too much love, interest, and passion for them.

2) I am not the biggest fan of new suffixed Interstate Highways, but I do like, and have no problem with, suffixed U.S. Routes - I am not informed on whether most people do or do not like suffixed U.S. Highways, but I am listing this just in case they don't.

I cannot think of any others with me at this exact moment.

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Scott5114

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on February 02, 2018, 04:18:26 PM

Link to bridge please.

Over I-235 in OKC. Just installed last weekend. (picture by another user, click to see their Flickr with more pics)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Not insisting on boycotting Breezewood businesses.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Bott's dots. (Cue me getting lynched by angry roadgeeks)

Botts', it's possessive proper noun with an 's', so be sure to put an apostrophe 's'! :bigass:
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

21stCenturyRoad

I'm going to get flamed for this, but I prefer neutered shields over state-named shields a lot more.
The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.

ce929wax

I like Clearview, but I still enjoy driving through states that have the standard FHWA font, such as Indiana and Tennessee.  I like Indiana's highways in general.

Eth

FHWA Series B, at least in route markers.

ColossalBlocks

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 02, 2018, 04:26:02 PM

Link to bridge please.

Over I-235 in OKC. Just installed last weekend. (picture by another user, click to see their Flickr with more pics)

Thank you fine sir.  :thumbsup:

sparker

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on February 02, 2018, 05:04:57 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 02, 2018, 04:26:02 PM

Link to bridge please.

Thank you fine sir.  :thumbsup:

From the looks of it the truss is a RR overcrossing; likely on a main line (probably BNSF) that handles heavy loads (coal, containers, etc.).  Specifications (if not actual design or funding) likely came from the RR itself.  Of course, such a sharp angle in relation to I-235 below required a very lengthy truss superstructure.  Good to see the old reliable (and sturdy as hell!) methodology still is applicable today!

freebrickproductions

Clearview for me definitely. I also prefer sine salads over unisigns, especially when said sine salads are properly laid out.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

SR 228

Clearview, and odd and old signage, such as GDOT spec BGSs, 3 digits on 2 digit size route shields, colored US route shields, series C shields, and old FL SR trailblazers

chays

Put me in the boat with those who like Clearview.

pdx-wanderer

Clearview as well.

California's US route shields.

"Boring" Long flat stretches of interstate (think Sacramento to LA)

Pointless blue services signs in urban areas (like blue signs on Las Vegas Strip exits advertising "Lodging").

cjk374

Quote from: chays on February 02, 2018, 06:31:04 PM
Put me in the boat with those who like Clearview.

Fires torpedoes  :-P

Quote from: 21stCenturyRoad on February 02, 2018, 04:42:39 PM
I'm going to get flamed for this, but I prefer neutered shields over state-named shields a lot more.

Opens trap door underneath his feet  :-D

All of the above reactions is probably because of my older age. I miss older school things such as trapezoidal brown recreation signs, Louisiana's older GREEN state shields of the late 70s/early 80s, and all-concrete interstates with the louder, harder-hitting expansion joints.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

RobbieL2415

I have a fetish for old, faded BGSs and shields.

Takumi

Telling people that Virginia isn't really as bad as some people make it out to be.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

bing101

Button Copy and County Routes I find them interesting and follow it with curiosity.

Max Rockatansky

Driving a really old and possibly forgotten highway alignment or some far flung mountain road.

kurumi

Taking photos I may never publish later (or even look at that much), but... it's US 218! When's the next time I'll be in southern Minnesota? I gotta get that pic!
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.