2 Top Supermarkets file for bankruptcy

Started by roadman65, February 17, 2018, 04:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eth

Quote from: Buck87 on February 17, 2018, 07:31:08 PM
From what I've seen, the Atlanta area a mix of Publix, Kroger, Ingles and Piggly Wiggly

Publix and Kroger are definitely the two biggest players, I'd say — I have 4-5 Publixes and 3-4 Krogers within about a 20 minute drive. Ingles becomes more common when you get into the outer suburbs. I can only think of one Piggly Wiggly location off the top of my head.

Takumi

Before the aforementioned Ahold-Delhaize merger that shut down Martins in the Richmond area, Food Lion and Martins (formerly locally-owned Ukrop’s until 2010) were historically the most popular grocery stores around Richmond. Kroger has had a growing presence in the market since 2000, and in the past 2-3 years Aldi, Publix, and Lidl have entered the area, along with two Wegmans. There are also some Save-A-Lots (not sure who owns them) and some independent grocery stores as well. In the early 1990s Safeway and Farm Fresh (a Hampton Roads-based chain) were both here, and I vaguely remember an A&P being somewhere around here when I was very young.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

ftballfan

Quote from: hbelkins on February 17, 2018, 07:25:22 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 17, 2018, 06:51:36 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 17, 2018, 04:26:24 PM
ttps://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/winn-dixie-and-tops-owners-are-said-to-prepare-for-bankruptcy/ar-BBJeV3y?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

Winn Dixie and Tops are filling for bankruptcy.   The former was the ruler of the southeast for decades, then fell to a point of closing stores due to falling customer service and now may soon be history.
Who rules the Southeast now?

Probably Walmart Supercenters.
Among non-supercenter grocery stores, I would say a cross between Publix and Kroger in the South.

In Michigan, not counting Walmart or Meijer, I would say Kroger dominates in the Detroit area and Family Fare (and other SpartanNash brands) dominate the rest of the state. Kroger used to have stores in northern and western Michigan, but the farthest north they get now is Mt. Pleasant and the farthest west they get is Sturgis.

kkt

In Washington, Safeway, Fred Meyer, and QFC are the big players.  Then Walmart in smaller cities, and Target gets some of the market also.

Note that Fred Meyer and QFC are both part of Kroger.

KEVIN_224

@ TAKUMI: Save-A-Lot is owned by the Onex Corporation of Earth City, MO near Saint Louis.

As for Ahold and Delhaize: Ahold USA owns Stop & Shop and Giant. S&S New England division is based on Hancock Street in Quincy, MA. Delhaize owns Hannaford, which is based in Scarborough, ME. They easily dominate northern New England, with a few locations in northern Massachusetts and eastern upstate New York.

sparker

Walmart has moved heavily into the grocery business out here in CA with a number of their "Neighborhood Supermarkets" deployed around the San Jose area; I frequent the one on Monterey Road (closest market to my office).  They do have excellent prices on brand-name items -- but they tend to run out of things and restock weekly at best -- also, the stores tend to be understaffed

In SoCal, Kroger owns the venerable Ralphs' chain of markets; when I lived down there, I noticed that they were stocking more and more Kroger-branded products as time passed.  And apparently they're the part-owner of the Food4Less chain of discount maxi-markets; again, lots of Kroger products to be had there (particularly dairy).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.