News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 55/ Crump Boulevard Interchange

Started by Grzrd, May 26, 2017, 02:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wdcrft63

Quote from: wriddle082 on January 20, 2022, 03:07:19 AM
Quote from: MikieTimT on January 19, 2022, 08:07:53 PM
Quote from: MikeTheActuary on January 19, 2022, 07:24:00 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on January 19, 2022, 06:03:24 PM
Will the new Memphis/Arkansas Bridge be a cable-stayed one? I know they don't build truss bridges anymore.

I think unicorn hair and troll farts are just as likely to form the basis for a new bridge design as anything else, for the next few decades.

I think that a new bridge design will result from the debris of the current bridge, however that happens.

I don't think they've stopped making steel truss bridges altogether, since I can think of ones in Cincinnati, WV, and SC off the top of my head that have been built in the last ~ 30 years.  But they're simply not as pretty as cable-stayed, cable suspension, tied arch, or a number of other bridges.  Many new bridges are built the way that they are because they're going for that signature look.
I am not an engineer  and I only know what I read. I have read that truss bridges are cost effective for bridges spanning 100-300 meters and cable-stayed bridges become cost effective for 250 m -750 m.
http://hotrails.net/2014/09/an-empirical-rough-order-of-magnitude-cost-function-for-bridge-structures/
Can't guarantee these numbers, but it does appear that length of span needed plays a big role in determining the type of bridge.

The Ghostbuster

First, reconstruct the Crump Boulevard Interchange to its proper proposed configuration. Then maybe we can discuss new bridges over the Mississippi River.

edwaleni

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 18, 2022, 02:11:08 PM
First, reconstruct the Crump Boulevard Interchange to its proper proposed configuration. Then maybe we can discuss new bridges over the Mississippi River.

Agreed.

Brooks

According to the TDOT website (which is rarely updated besides Middle TN projects), construction on the Crump interchange is supposed to start this year (or at least the contract should be let during FY 2022). I'm crossing my fingers that it's real this time. They've been talking about this project since i was in middle school, and now I'm 23 and they have nothing to show for it

tolbs17

Quote from: Brooks on February 18, 2022, 03:24:18 PM
According to the TDOT website (which is rarely updated besides Middle TN projects), construction on the Crump interchange is supposed to start this year (or at least the contract should be let during FY 2022). I'm crossing my fingers that it's real this time. They've been talking about this project since i was in middle school, and now I'm 23 and they have nothing to show for it
Saw that too but they made no official announcement. So idk if its real

bwana39

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 19, 2022, 12:02:01 AM
Quote from: Brooks on February 18, 2022, 03:24:18 PM
Saw that too but they made no official announcement. So idk if its real

Of course the TDOT page for this is as current as of 2015. https://www.tn.gov/tdot/projects/region-4/interstate-55-crump-boulevard-interchange.html (Today is 02/22/2022)

The last newspaper posting was a year ago. https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2021/02/16/i-55-crump-boulevard-update.html

Looks like US-78 S (Lamar Avenue) is the priority right now.

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Brooks

Look what I found hidden in the March 25 letting!

froggie

Brooks

Thanks Mvak. Posting a picture is way too complicated on here. Regardless, I'm finally starting to believe that it's real this time (even with a completion date in 2026!)

mvak36

I'd be interested to see what kind of closures they're gonna have. IMO after what happened with the I-40 bridge last year, they're probably going to have to do this construction with at least part of I-55 open. I would prefer if they just close it off and do it all in one go but I don't think that's going to happen.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Brooks

Quote from: mvak36 on March 01, 2022, 04:10:15 PM
I'd be interested to see what kind of closures they're gonna have. IMO after what happened with the I-40 bridge last year, they're probably going to have to do this construction with at least part of I-55 open. I would prefer if they just close it off and do it all in one go but I don't think that's going to happen.
I agree. They previously planned to close the bridge completely for 9 months but the city fought hard to keep the bridge at least partially open.

Plutonic Panda

I suppose a temporary bridge is out of the question. . .

Honest question, is the desire to always keep roads open when they're being worked on resulting in construction being drawn out common in other countries? Because I'm usually in the boat of just shut the entire thing down and get it done faster. I realize this isn't always viable and especially in this case where Memphis has a lack of river crossings as it is.

Southwest Tennessee really could use 2 or perhaps 3 additional new river bridges. It blows my mind there is only two bridges over the Mississippi River in the area.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: Brooks on March 01, 2022, 03:37:48 PM
Thanks Mvak. Posting a picture is way too complicated on here. Regardless, I'm finally starting to believe that it's real this time (even with a completion date in 2026!)

Hmmmph....I assume this is the long-awaited modification of that idiotic TOTSO cloverleaf that will allow for free flow on I-55, am I right? Took them long enough.

wriddle082

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 01, 2022, 07:02:56 PM
I suppose a temporary bridge is out of the question. . .

Honest question, is the desire to always keep roads open when they're being worked on resulting in construction being drawn out common in other countries? Because I'm usually in the boat of just shut the entire thing down and get it done faster. I realize this isn't always viable and especially in this case where Memphis has a lack of river crossings as it is.

Southwest Tennessee really could use 2 or perhaps 3 additional new river bridges. It blows my mind there is only two bridges over the Mississippi River in the area.

The absolute most preferred location for a new bridge would IMO be a straight shot west from the curve south of the Mallory St exit, since that is the most direct route to the numerous distribution centers near the 240 southern corridor.  However that area is riddled with the Valero oil refinery, other moderate to heavy industry on both sides of the river, and numerous other bodies of water.  It would amount to miles and miles of elevated roadway, and even more miles of environmental studies/hurdles.  And even though both states involved would be genuinely interested, it's not gonna get done.

The second choice, extending MS 304 due west from US 61, has two unfortunate problems: Mississippi is involved, and Tennessee isn't.  Mississippi has much more pressing statewide needs than to cross the river again.

The third and fourth choices unfortunately have their own obstacles:  Extending TN 300 west across the river has a small airport runway in its path right on the river, and extending TN 385 west across the river has the Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park in its path.  These locations aren't as desirable as it is since they don't lead directly to the distribution/logistics centers.  This is why the current I-55 crossing is generally preferred by most truckers whose origin and/or destination is Memphis, and that's a pretty high percentage.  I would imagine that most trucks that are just passing through, which can't be many, choose to take I-40 across the river.  And it's definitely more desirable for passenger cars to take the I-40 crossing just to avoid the trucks on I-55.

ilpt4u

Quote from: wriddle082 on March 01, 2022, 11:18:54 PM
Extending TN 300 west across the river has a small airport runway in its path right on the river, and extending TN 385 west across the river has the Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park in its path.  These locations aren't as desirable as it is since they don't lead directly to the distribution/logistics centers.  This is why the current I-55 crossing is generally preferred by most truckers whose origin and/or destination is Memphis, and that's a pretty high percentage.  I would imagine that most trucks that are just passing through, which can't be many, choose to take I-40 across the river.  And it's definitely more desirable for passenger cars to take the I-40 crossing just to avoid the trucks on I-55.
The TN 300/Future I-69 area extending westward and across the river isn't completely nullified by the airport runway due west of the existing trumpet. A potential roadway extending could easily swing south of the Runway...but then the issue is the Runway would become a One Way Runway, since there would be an elevated/elevating bridge structure for the approach to the MS River bridge, effectively making the south end of the runway useless. That said, the General DeWitt Spain Airport appears to be a publicly-owned facility, so if Memphis agrees that would be a good location for a 3rd bridge, they can find another strip of land to relocate the landing strip and airport facilities, or merely consolidate that function into Memphis International Airport

I would think that would be the ideal spot for a 3rd Crossing - the Arkansas side of the bridge could easily tie directly into the western I-40/I-55 Interchange. I'm getting into Fictional here, but I'd go ahead and route I-40 over such a bridge should it ever come to pass, and give the existing I-40 bridge and approach roadway a x55 or x69 3DI

The TN 385/Future I-269 Northern end extension to the river is also intriguing. Yes, a State Park is in the way, but could a path be cut and a bridge constructed, that could tie in nicely to the existing I-55/I-555 interchange in Arkansas. I doubt it would attract many commuters nor much freight traffic, tho, at least not at present. Thru I-55 traffic wouldn't be likely to use it, anyway (short of another bridge "situation"  downtown).

bwana39

While a northern bridge would be nice, the south end is where the need is.

Generally the discussion of a new bridge in South Memphis centers on a route near the Seacor Facility. It would fork off near Trigg Avenue. and land to the north of the BASF plant in West Memphis.

On the other hand, more of the discussion centers on crossings in Northern Mississippi.

The BIGGEST negative about  a lone additional bridge on the northern side is it moves ALL of the through traffic up I-240 (I-69). Midtown traffic would likely become horrible. As an aside; a crossing at the Spain Airport would also be ALL in Tennessee. Look at the state line. It also would have to cross both the river AND the oxbow there.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: ilpt4u on March 02, 2022, 12:56:06 AMYes, a State Park is in the way, but could a path be cut and a bridge constructed

You might want to refresh your memory about the alginment of I-40 through Memphis.  ;)

edwaleni

Quote from: ilpt4u on March 02, 2022, 12:56:06 AM
Quote from: wriddle082 on March 01, 2022, 11:18:54 PM
Extending TN 300 west across the river has a small airport runway in its path right on the river, and extending TN 385 west across the river has the Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park in its path.  These locations aren't as desirable as it is since they don't lead directly to the distribution/logistics centers.  This is why the current I-55 crossing is generally preferred by most truckers whose origin and/or destination is Memphis, and that's a pretty high percentage.  I would imagine that most trucks that are just passing through, which can't be many, choose to take I-40 across the river.  And it's definitely more desirable for passenger cars to take the I-40 crossing just to avoid the trucks on I-55.
The TN 300/Future I-69 area extending westward and across the river isn't completely nullified by the airport runway due west of the existing trumpet. A potential roadway extending could easily swing south of the Runway...but then the issue is the Runway would become a One Way Runway, since there would be an elevated/elevating bridge structure for the approach to the MS River bridge, effectively making the south end of the runway useless. That said, the General DeWitt Spain Airport appears to be a publicly-owned facility, so if Memphis agrees that would be a good location for a 3rd bridge, they can find another strip of land to relocate the landing strip and airport facilities, or merely consolidate that function into Memphis International Airport

I would think that would be the ideal spot for a 3rd Crossing - the Arkansas side of the bridge could easily tie directly into the western I-40/I-55 Interchange. I'm getting into Fictional here, but I'd go ahead and route I-40 over such a bridge should it ever come to pass, and give the existing I-40 bridge and approach roadway a x55 or x69 3DI

The TN 385/Future I-269 Northern end extension to the river is also intriguing. Yes, a State Park is in the way, but could a path be cut and a bridge constructed, that could tie in nicely to the existing I-55/I-555 interchange in Arkansas. I doubt it would attract many commuters nor much freight traffic, tho, at least not at present. Thru I-55 traffic wouldn't be likely to use it, anyway (short of another bridge "situation"  downtown).

The last proposed route of I-69 from Millington south shows it taking curve between the Spain Airport and the Fullen Warehouses with no ramps to accommodate any future bridge.

If one was considered and the Spain Airport is retained, it would have to come down the Wolf River ravine, use the Loosahatchie Bar to cross over into the remnant of TN west of the Mississippi.

The M-A Bridge can be replaced with a span just south of it *or* simply build a one way span south of it and perform bidirectional running. Westbound on old bridge, east bound on new bridge.

Then when the M-A starts to reach it EOL, do a temp carryover on the new span and demolish the M-A with and put a new one in the same place.

rte66man

Quote from: edwaleni on March 02, 2022, 11:36:08 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The M-A Bridge can be replaced with a span just south of it *or* simply build a one way span south of it and perform bidirectional running. Westbound on old bridge, east bound on new bridge.

Then when the M-A starts to reach it EOL, do a temp carryover on the new span and demolish the M-A with and put a new one in the same place.

This makes perfect sense so it will NEVER happen
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: mvak36 on March 01, 2022, 03:34:11 PM
Quote from: froggie on March 01, 2022, 03:31:09 PM
^ Can't read that image.
I found the link: https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/tdot/construction/2022_bid_lettings/march-25,-2022-letting/20220325_NoticeOfMandatoryPre-Bid_CNW055_Shelby.pdf

In the news today:

https://dailymemphian.com/section/metro/article/27526/interstate-55-crump-boulevard-interchange

• Bid letting on 25 March
  • Construction begins "this spring"
  • They haven't worked through what sort of closures there might be
  • Completion target of 31 October 2026
The TDOT page appears to have been updated: https://www.tn.gov/tdot/projects/region-4/interstate-55-crump-boulevard-interchange.html

Looks like the design is unchanged from what was discussed here most recently: the mainline curves, and there will be a roundabout as part of the interchange with Riverside Drive and Crump.

(Additional trivia -- I traded emails with the author of the Daily Memphian article, after the pre-bid meeting was announced here.  He apparently enjoyed looking around aaroads. :)  )

J N Winkler

I don't actively collect Tennessee DOT signing plans, but I did see that there was a set of plans for this project with over a dozen pattern-accurate sign panel detail sheets.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

tolbs17

Definitely a long awaited project that REALLY needs to begin.

This reminds me of the I-295/I-76 interchange in NJ which is substandard and is still under construction.

Same with the East End Connector which is taking a very long time to complete

edwaleni

If remains, artifacts, or other archaeological materials are uncovered during construction, all construction in the area of the find will cease, and the Tennessee Division of Archaeology and recognized Native American tribes will be contacted immediately.

The odds of finding artifacts is probably pretty close to 99%.

With Chickasaw Mound just a few hundred yards away from the prime construction zone, I would guess that they will find not only Mississippian era artifacts, but probably some Cahokian as well.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they pull up some French Colonial and Civil War stuff if it wasn't destroyed during the original construction of the freeway.

silverback1065

is there a better map of the new design?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.