News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

A little windy in Allen lately

Started by austrini, February 19, 2022, 11:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

austrini

I don't know if it was wind, bad engineering, or something hit the pole. It was a massive sign and must have been pretty heavy. People were driving under it.

https://twitter.com/TarynJonesCBS/status/1494786381360644103?s=20&t=qD7olsvy-Tlp3shBBUpnQQ
AICP (2012), GISP (2020) | Formerly TX, now UK

Max Rockatansky

Missed opportunity not to have the theme of Toad's Turnpike as the background music in that Twitter post.

CoreySamson

Wow.

As a side note, it seems to me Texas has more issues than other states with the wind blowing over their BGSs. I visited Austin and San Antonio in 2019 and recall seeing at least 2 or 3 toppled BGSs on the way there.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

LilianaUwU

In any other state, a BGS that big would probably be on a full gantry.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

bwana39

Quote from: CoreySamson on February 24, 2022, 08:20:59 PM
Wow.

As a side note, it seems to me Texas has more issues than other states with the wind blowing over their BGSs. I visited Austin and San Antonio in 2019 and recall seeing at least 2 or 3 toppled BGSs on the way there.

The ones you are talking about if I am correct are not the ones like the one on the picture above. They are the ones that are on two posts. The reason those blow over is they are break-away signs. They are designed to fold in half on impact. The bottom part of both posts will often remain standing while the top folds over or gets loose and hangs.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Road Hog

Sure looks like a post failure. Extreme wind can and will bring down a sign, but I don't think it's been any windier in North Texas than usual this month, and it's always windy. Probably a flaw in the steel that developed over time.

J N Winkler

This particular sign structure collapse appears to have resulted from failure of the welds that secure the upright column to the anchor plate.  Something must have gone seriously awry for this to happen.  It is common for structures to be designed to tolerate cyclic loading from all causes (wind, buffeting by large vehicles, thermal expansion and contraction, etc.) without failure over a period of time well in excess of the expected service life.

If this event isn't a one-off or attributable to a fabrication/workmanship issue, I'd expect it to lead to at least a second look at the design criteria and possibly an overhaul of TxDOT's cantilever overhead sign structure standard plans.  About 15 years ago, NCHRP sponsored a major research project dealing with wind buffeting of cantilevers, but I think that focused primarily on horizontal truss elements.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

bwana39

Quote from: Road Hog on February 26, 2022, 01:09:59 AM
Sure looks like a post failure. Extreme wind can and will bring down a sign, but I don't think it's been any windier in North Texas than usual this month, and it's always windy. Probably a flaw in the steel that developed over time.

I agree. The one in the picture is concerning. A failure that should not have happened. One would hope that this one was an anomaly.  Like someone else suggested, probably a failure in a weld. 
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

J N Winkler

Loose nuts on the anchor bolts can be a proximate cause of this type of failure.  When a nut loosens, which happens even on new installs, that concentrates the load on the other bolts and can also lead to the structure moving more than designed, which sets the stage for crack initiation in the welds that connect the anchor plate to the upright column.  This is enough of a problem that in 2018 Minnesota DOT sponsored a research study on maintenance procedures for re-tightening anchor bolts.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

BigMattFromTexas

I drive up 75 every third day, one day I noticed this a little wonky, didn't think much of it, next (3rd) day, I see it in pieces on the ground. What a hoot.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.