News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Rare signals

Started by traffic light guy, July 13, 2018, 04:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

Quote from: jakeroot on April 17, 2021, 07:38:25 PM
Quote from: US71 on April 17, 2021, 07:28:03 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on April 17, 2021, 07:18:05 PM
^^^
Paseo @ Linwood if anyone is interested.

Too bad they can't swap out the orbs for arrows so we can dump that ugly "LEFT TURN SIGNAL" sign.

The Left Turn was a retrofit

Well, the sign is the retrofit. Left turn signals without arrows aren't allowed anymore. My point is: swap out the orbs for left turn arrows so we can go back to just having the ornate pedestal.
The optically protected lenses were also a retrofit.

Scott5114

^^^

Too bad they can't swap out the orbs for arrows so we can dump that ugly "LEFT TURN SIGNAL" sign.

Well, the sign is the retrofit. Left turn signals without arrows aren't allowed anymore. My point is: swap out the orbs for left turn arrows so we can go back to just having the ornate pedestal.

They both are. Originally that was a four-way through signal. Later on, when they added the overheads, they changed it to being a left turn signal and added the sign.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

interstatefan990

Not the rarest of the rare, but for anyone who's never seen what a U-turn signal looks like, here's one in Lake Buena Vista, Florida:

Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

Big John

interstatefan990

CJResotko

Check out this doghouse bike signal I found in South Jordan, Utah.

roadfro

Quote from: CJResotko on April 19, 2021, 04:15:14 PM

That's neat, but for the life of me I can't figure out why there's a doghouse for that signal.

Pretty poor placement of the doghouse signal pole and the "keep right" sign pole. Barely room for a bike rider to stay in their lane... The signal pole could have been placed between the bike lanes and the pedestrian walkway (and used one pole for both bike signal and ped head). Also, that dividing line between bikeway and walkway should've probably been white.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

US71

I've never seen a set up like that
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MCRoads

A bit off topic, but what exactly is the point of the blank-out sign there? It seems to serve no purpose. Then again, I don't live there, so maybe there is a hazard I'm not aware of...
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

interstatefan990

Quote from: MCRoads on April 20, 2021, 12:01:50 PM
A bit off topic, but what exactly is the point of the blank-out sign there? It seems to serve no purpose. Then again, I don't live there, so maybe there is a hazard I'm not aware of...

If you're talking about the blank sign on the mast arm next to the green Mountain View sign, it's most likely an illuminated NO TURN or NO TURN ON RED display that only turns on when traffic facing the sign does not have the right of way or can't turn due to conflicts. It could also be an illuminated YIELD TO PEDS display.

mrsman

Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 20, 2021, 12:26:08 PM
A bit off topic, but what exactly is the point of the blank-out sign there? It seems to serve no purpose. Then again, I don’t live there, so maybe there is a hazard I’m not aware of...

If you're talking about the blank sign on the mast arm next to the green Mountain View sign, it's most likely an illuminated NO TURN or NO TURN ON RED display that only turns on when traffic facing the sign does not have the right of way or can't turn due to conflicts. It could also be an illuminated YIELD TO PEDS display.

There's a lot of questions that I have about this setup.  Likely those questions would be answered once the area gets more developed and we see the final orientation of the signals and the intersection as a whole.

The most likely explanation for the doghouse signal is that perhaps that was the signal head that was avaialbe in stock when the signal was ready to be installed.

But a really off the wall explanation would probably be to allow for bikes to turn right from the future median bike path on Jordan to northbound 85 (which has a bike lane).  This can only safely occur at its own phase, when both WB Jordan and NB 85 have red lights.  (EB Jordan could probably have green during this phase.)  At the same time, it would also be safest to prohibit right turn on red during this time, so the blank out sign would probably be needed for a no turn on red at this phase as well.  I see no other purpose for the blank out sign as the blank out sign faces WB Jordan and the peds cross to the left of WB Jordan, where left turns are prohibited.  I guess the "no turn on red" could also occur when peds are walking along 85's sidewalk or perhaps during rush hours, but this area seems so desolate that it is unlikely that they need any NTOR signage at all, except if the bikeway conflicts with motoring traffic.

Another qn I have is with regard to why is there even a median bikeway and crosswalk in the first place here?  It is an unusual design.  At least with Lake Ave further south, there appears to be a full median bikeway treatment for a while to the west of 85.  I do see that Jordan Pkwy further east has normal bike lanes and sidewalks on the right side of the street.  So at some point the bikes will need to transition from the curb to the median in some fashion.

Here is a GSV at Lake and 85.  85 has a green and Lake has a lit up no right turn sign.  No peds or bikes anywhere to be seen.  Oh and of course an additional doghouse bike signal.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.545268,-112.022713,3a,75y,281.73h,90.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQUAnBKj79Ntd0ZJTWIFLiQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I think this deserves quality (clarity [sic]).  I will crosspost onto a Utah category in Mtn West with the hopes that perhaps someone who lives nearby can check it out for us.

kphoger

What I want to know is this:  what is displayed on the other four aspects?  Are two of them simply unused?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 18, 2021, 09:12:59 PM
^^^

They both are. Originally that was a four-way through signal. Later on, when they added the overheads, they changed it to being a left turn signal and added the sign.

Yes, I understand that. When I say "the sign is the retrofit", I mean the signals on that pedestal were never retrofitted with left turn arrows, with the "LEFT TURN SIGNAL" taking the place of that retrofit instead. I'm saying that the orbs should be swapped out with left turn arrows, so we can dump the silly sign.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 20, 2021, 12:26:08 PM

There are no bike lanes behind you in this view.  The opposing bike signal must allow left turns, right turns and zig-zags to stay through on South Jordan Parkway.  So it would be appropriate to either have a "NO TURN ON RED" blank out (or alternatively, a YIELD TO BIKES sign, if the state has an MUTCD supplement for opposing bicycle movements).

US 89

Quote from: kphoger on April 20, 2021, 04:27:09 PM
What I want to know is this:  what is displayed on the other four aspects?  Are two of them simply unused?

If I remember correctly, the aspects are:

- top: red bicycle
- top left: yellow bicycle
- top right: yellow right arrow
- bottom left: green straight arrow
- bottom right: green right arrow

kphoger

Quote from: US 89 on April 21, 2021, 01:20:16 AM

Quote from: kphoger on April 20, 2021, 04:27:09 PM

If I remember correctly, the aspects are:

- top: red bicycle
- top left: yellow bicycle
- top right: yellow right arrow
- bottom left: green straight arrow
- bottom right: green right arrow

Yeah, that's not dangerous or anything.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

fillup420

Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 18, 2021, 10:08:59 PM
Not the rarest of the rare, but for anyone who's never seen what a U-turn signal looks like, here's one in Lake Buena Vista, Florida:

Many moons ago, as a small child, I wondered why U-turn arrow signals didn't exist. I would see u-turn lanes signaled with left arrows and thought surely they could make a u-turn arrow. Recently they have started appearing around the Triangle of NC, and I am glad they finally listened to my idea  :)

mrsman

Quote from: fillup420 on April 23, 2021, 10:07:55 AM
Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 18, 2021, 10:08:59 PM

Many moons ago, as a small child, I wondered why U-turn arrow signals didn't exist. I would see u-turn lanes signaled with left arrows and thought surely they could make a u-turn arrow. Recently they have started appearing around the Triangle of NC, and I am glad they finally listened to my idea  :)

And it's really appropriate to do so when U-turn is the only allowed movement.  We don't want folks making a left into the barrier, just because they see a green arrow.

kphoger

Quote from: fillup420 on April 23, 2021, 10:07:55 AM
I am glad they finally listened to my idea

You're happy that a government agency is reading your thoughts?
Male pronouns, please.

US71

Tahlequah, OK

Muskogee, OK
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

Reminds me a bit of Oberlin, KS.

Oberlin KS Main St View by John  Shiflet, on Flickr
Male pronouns, please.

David Jr.

Abandoned Krossgard Pedestrian Signal by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Looks like the Krossgard pedestrial signal was made by Tru-Fit Screw Products, out of Cleveland, OH.  Tru-Fit Screw Products is still in business, but they no longer make the pedestrian signals.  Their web site is at http://tfpcorp.com/.

jakeroot

These might not be rare everywhere, but I have never seen these kind of pedestrian signals in Seattle (or anywhere in Western Washington) before.

Cross-posting from the 'Traffic Signal' thread:

Quote from: jakeroot on July 30, 2021, 07:23:35 PM
Curious what people know about this Econolite pedestrian signal I found in Seattle the other day.

Album: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWnx79t (there is a video in here showing operation including countdown timer)

I've never seen another one like it. It's very square with short visors around the edge.

Southwest corner by Jacob Root, on Flickr

Northwest corner by Jacob Root, on Flickr

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Big John on April 18, 2021, 10:18:23 PM
And a FYA U-turn signal: https://goo.gl/maps/xjcHGuZqZzyQnsMeA

is it me (or google maps), or is that signal wayyyyyyy back from the actual intersection?
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Big John

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on July 31, 2021, 07:31:49 AM
Quote from: Big John on April 18, 2021, 10:18:23 PM
And a FYA U-turn signal: https://goo.gl/maps/xjcHGuZqZzyQnsMeA

is it me (or google maps), or is that signal wayyyyyyy back from the actual intersection?
It is at the end of the right-turn lane of the side road.   It is back since there is an island for that right turn.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.