News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrepoiy

Although this isn't really license plate news, this is probably the best place to ask:

Is anybody able to identify the jurisdiction of this Mexican (I'm assuming) plate? I can't seem to see any actual words, maybe because the license plate cover is covering it. Found this is Oakville, Ontario today.

mgk920

Quote from: andrepoiy on June 22, 2021, 10:35:28 PM
Although this isn't really license plate news, this is probably the best place to ask:

Is anybody able to identify the jurisdiction of this Mexican (I'm assuming) plate? I can't seem to see any actual words, maybe because the license plate cover is covering it. Found this is Oakville, Ontario today.

Definitely Mexican.  The country uses a single pool of plate numbers for all of their states.  According to Wikipedia (YMMV)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Mexico
plates with the letter range from PVA through RDZ are assigned to Morelos State, essentially south suburban Mexico City.

Mike

jakeroot

Going through some old photos and found this:

WA First seven-digit plate by Jake Root, on Flickr

kphoger

Quote from: andrepoiy on June 22, 2021, 10:35:28 PM

Morelos.

PVA-001-A through RDZ-999-Z
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Road Hog

The new Arkansas numbering system is out.

OCGuy81

Quote from: Road Hog on July 22, 2021, 10:46:26 AM

That ought to last a state with their population quite a long time.

Road Hog

Quote from: OCGuy81 on July 22, 2021, 07:29:03 PM
Quote from: Road Hog on July 22, 2021, 10:46:26 AM

That ought to last a state with their population quite a long time.
Yes. The 000 AAA pattern lasted about 25 years, or about a year per leading letter of the alphabet. They should be able to extend that to about 2.6 years with the AAA 00A pattern, which would last them well over 60 years, not accounting for growth.

zzyzx

Since when did RI switch to the California-esque format for their plates? Also I thought they were in the middle of a redesign?

Given their small population, the 1AA123 format should last them several more years:

iPhone

kphoger

Quote from: zzyzx on July 25, 2021, 05:16:11 PM
Since when did RI switch to the California-esque format for their plates?

2020, I think.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ski-man

Like all this great info. I always look at the different plates on all my trips.........

JayhawkCO

Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 24, 2021, 11:32:57 AM
Colorado was really bad for a while, too.  They were trying to exhaust combinations that used the letter "Q" in any position, I believe, and it led to a lot of random issues.

They seemed to have corrected things now with an ABC-D12 format that should keep them from running out for a long while.

Mine is AAA-111 with a Q in it that was issued in 2016.  I think they used a lot of Q's on the specialty plates, as I haven't seen as many on the standard.

Chris

US20IL64

There are still quite a few cars in Chicago area with illegible plate #'s, paint peeling off, on the older Lincoln format. Folks are supposed get new plates, but some just keep putting stickers on them, even if they get a temp "T".

Also, too many expired tags,  :pan: Used to be an easy ticket.

OCGuy81

Quote from: US20IL64 on September 17, 2021, 02:20:01 PM
There are still quite a few cars in Chicago area with illegible plate #'s, paint peeling off, on the older Lincoln format. Folks are supposed get new plates, but some just keep putting stickers on them, even if they get a temp "T".

Also, too many expired tags,  :pan: Used to be an easy ticket.

I'm not sure if they've changed it, but in the wake of 2020, Oregon wasn't enforcing expired tags.  The DMV was backlogged and by appointment only (which is actually a great idea) and last I heard police weren't pulling people over for tags.

Scott5114

Tag renewal is something that's easily enough done on the Internet. The only reason I do it in person is because Oklahoma charges a fee of a few dollars to do it that way.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

renegade

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 17, 2021, 03:58:38 PM
Tag renewal is something that's easily enough done on the Internet. The only reason I do it in person is because Oklahoma charges a fee of a few dollars to do it that way.
Same here in Michigan.  I made an appointment to update my driver license to be "Real-ID" compliant, six months out.    "Next-day" appointments are virtually non-existent.  Walk-ins are prohibited.  Expiration dates were waived, but that's ended now.  My vehicle registrations have remained current thanks to renewing online.  It's easier to eat the cost than to deal with the aggravation of an in-person visit.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

US20IL64

IL # scheme is LL NNNNN for about 5-6 years, from previous LNN NNNN 1990's to 201?
Went from 6 to 7 characters about late 90's?
And, first 2 letters are sequenced: AA, AB ... now in the C's.

When 6 characters, long time it was LL NNNN, going back to 1950's? Then around 1984 mixed in LLL NNN. Multi-year started in 1979, and were meant to be every 5 years. But, 1984 version stuck around until late 1990's [?]  And, could keep plates, but many started aging badly. So, Sec. of State* decided to "re-plate the state", with Lincoln's picture and red characters. The recent design, with half of Abe's face, 2017.

*Some are starting to call SoS office 'the DMV', from TV shows and non-local influence.

Scott5114

Quote from: renegade on September 17, 2021, 04:19:04 PM
Same here in Michigan.  I made an appointment to update my driver license to be "Real-ID" compliant, six months out.    "Next-day" appointments are virtually non-existent.  Walk-ins are prohibited.  Expiration dates were waived, but that's ended now.  My vehicle registrations have remained current thanks to renewing online.  It's easier to eat the cost than to deal with the aggravation of an in-person visit.

Oh, REAL ID has been a shitshow in Oklahoma. We have this system of what's called tag agencies, which are private businesses that essentially do the Department of Public Safety's work for them in exchange for a cut of the fees. Works really well because every town has at least one of them, so you don't have to wait in line with everyone else in the county. Before REAL ID, they would take the picture and input your data and the system would print your ID right there at the counter so you could get it in minutes.

REAL ID requires all IDs to be issued directly by the central licensing bureau. So now you just get a receipt while your ID arrives in the mail later. Months later. Worse, the DPS system is apparently so slow that it takes 30 minutes to get all of the info added into the system. Tag agencies aren't allowing walk-ins for license renewals anymore–either they're doing an appointment system (which usually has a month-long lead time) or telling you "we open at 6:00 am, show up then and get in line and maybe we'll get to you before close". (Meanwhile, for tag renewals, it's the same as always, walk in and do a 5-minute transaction.) It's gotten bad enough that the DPS has had to rent out convention centers in OKC and Tulsa, renewing licenses directly, to try and catch up with the expired-license backlog.

Fortunately, Oklahoma still offers non-REAL ID licenses, so I just opted for one of those (I never fly commercially) and was able to renew it online. They required me to submit a photo, but they just used the one that was on my previous license, so I ended up reusing the one I took for my driver license on my OMMA card. At some point, when they get things ironed out, I might go back and upgrade to a REAL ID license.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

thenetwork

Quote from: jayhawkco on September 17, 2021, 02:04:05 PM
Colorado was really bad for a while, too.  They were trying to exhaust combinations that used the letter "Q" in any position, I believe, and it led to a lot of random issues.

They seemed to have corrected things now with an ABC-D12 format that should keep them from running out for a long while.

Mine is AAA-111 with a Q in it that was issued in 2016.  I think they used a lot of Q's on the specialty plates, as I haven't seen as many on the standard.

Chris

Maybe...Maybe not...as Colorado just said that plates will now be non-transferable, meaning if you trade in your old car for a new one, you cannot move the plate over to the new car anymore without going through some expensive vanity plate route.

machias

I haven't seen the "new font" Arizona was suppose to introduce a couple of months ago, but I'm still seeing two distinct variations of plate numbers on temp tags: 1. two sets of three digits (mix of letters and numbers) separated by a space and 2. five numerals followed by a "U" or five numerals prefixed with a "B".  Are the five numerals plate numbers temporary, because I haven't seen any permanent plate with this configuration.

frankenroad

Interesting - it's actually a tad bit cheaper to renew online in Ohio than go in person.  It baffles me that anyone with internet availability still goes to the BMV for plate renewal.  And now, that I am 65, I am eligible for an 8-year driver license, so I don't plan on visiting a BMV office again until 2029, unless I buy a new vehicle.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thenetwork on September 18, 2021, 02:19:59 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on September 17, 2021, 02:04:05 PM

Chris

Maybe...Maybe not...as Colorado just said that plates will now be non-transferable, meaning if you trade in your old car for a new one, you cannot move the plate over to the new car anymore without going through some expensive vanity plate route.

Good to know and glad I already moved it from my 2006 Nissan Xterra to my 2019 Jeep Wrangler.

Chris

MikeTheActuary

Tennessee is asking folks to vote on proposals for their new standard license plate design: https://www.tn.gov/governor/rate-the-plates

chrisdiaz

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on September 20, 2021, 08:58:40 PM
Tennessee is asking folks to vote on proposals for their new standard license plate design: https://www.tn.gov/governor/rate-the-plates
I'm not a tennessee resident, but I hope that #3 wins. I also hope they they make it an option as to whether or not you want "in god we trust"  on your plate, like they have with the current issue.

CtrlAltDel

The TNVacation bit is tacky.

Also, I think the current plate is miles ahead of all of these. I'm almost glad to have left the state because of it.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

interstate73

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on September 20, 2021, 08:58:40 PM

I like #2 for readability compared to #1, but I fear it could be confused with the NY Excelsior plates, so I would vote #1 if I were Tennessean.
🎶 Man, there’s an opera on the Turnpike 🎶

Morris County if the Route 178 Freeway had been built:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.