News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

BGS Removals, Modifications in Marshall TX

Started by Brian556, June 19, 2020, 07:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

In Marshall, TxDOT has removed several of the BGSs at intersections between conventional roadways. They were in poor condition, and TxDOT chose to remove many of they rather than replace them. At one intersection, US 80 at LOOP 390 (W) they also downgraded the route marker assembly from goal post to totem pole. In some instances, they removed the BGSs without installing the needed standard assembly. On US 59, they replaced the ones that were deteriorated. All signage, including BGSs for signal photo enforcement have been removed, as that is now illegal in Texas

6.14.2020.Grand by Brian Kosich, on Flickr
LOOP 390 (W) at US 80. There used to be a US 80 <---> BGS here, but it was removed. The route marker assembly was downgraded even though the old one was still in good shape. Also, the route marker assemblies are on the wrong stubs. They should be on the close side of the intersection. In the background, there was a BGS for FM 499 in front of the church. They installed a new conventional assembly SB ,but not NB.

6.14.2020.59-80.1 by Brian Kosich, on Flickr
NB US 59/SH 43 at US 80. The new BGS is better. The old one was for US 80 EAST only. The overhead sign previously had "Karnack " on it also. Karnack was the location of the huge Longhorn Army Ammunition Plant, which has since been demolished, making the town far less relevant.

STLmapboy

Were any gantries removed? https://www.google.com/maps/@32.5758788,-94.3458889,3a,75y,199.39h,99.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKjM86HVf987iVAf-Dy49Fw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

On another note, I saw that the 390W/80 interchange used to have electrified street signs on the old mast arms.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Brian556

Quote from: STLmapboy on June 19, 2020, 10:01:14 PM
Were any gantries removed? https://www.google.com/maps/@32.5758788,-94.3458889,3a,75y,199.39h,99.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKjM86HVf987iVAf-Dy49Fw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

On another note, I saw that the 390W/80 interchange used to have electrified street signs on the old mast arms.

I dunno. I did not visit that location

-- US 175 --

Quote from: Brian556 on June 19, 2020, 07:14:58 PM
In Marshall, TxDOT has removed several of the BGSs at intersections between conventional roadways. They were in poor condition, and TxDOT chose to remove many of they rather than replace them. At one intersection, US 80 at LOOP 390 (W) they also downgraded the route marker assembly from goal post to totem pole. In some instances, they removed the BGSs without installing the needed standard assembly. On US 59, they replaced the ones that were deteriorated. All signage, including BGSs for signal photo enforcement have been removed, as that is now illegal in Texas

LOOP 390 (W) at US 80. There used to be a US 80 <---> BGS here, but it was removed. The route marker assembly was downgraded even though the old one was still in good shape.

The last couple of times I've been around and near Jacksonville, I have noticed similar treatment.  What few small roadside BGSes there were, have been replaced with smaller, much less visible (or helpful) shield intersection (as well as advance of intersection) posts.  Other than saving TxDOT a couple of bucks, I see nothing that helps anyone when this is done.  Small signs and minimalist treatment won't guide anyone, especially unfamiliar drivers.  The wider use of the " <--> " sign at intersections that didn't have them before, is especially bothersome.  It just smacks of OK-it's-this-way-or-that-way-take-your-pick laziness.  Enormous BGSes or sign-salad fiestas aren't always helpful either, but do something better than this cheapo/inadequate stuff.  It wouldn't cost that much more.

And the coffee/donuts break can wait  ;-) :cool:

bwana39

Quote from: -- US 175 -- on June 20, 2020, 12:13:20 PM

LOOP 390 (W) at US 80. There used to be a US 80 <---> BGS here, but it was removed. The route marker assembly was downgraded even though the old one was still in good shape.

The last couple of times I've been around and near Jacksonville, I have noticed similar treatment.  What few small roadside BGSes there were, have been replaced with smaller, much less visible (or helpful) shield intersection (as well as advance of intersection) posts.  Other than saving TxDOT a couple of bucks, I see nothing that helps anyone when this is done.  Small signs and minimalist treatment won't guide anyone, especially unfamiliar drivers.  The wider use of the " <--> " sign at intersections that didn't have them before, is especially bothersome.  It just smacks of OK-it's-this-way-or-that-way-take-your-pick laziness.  Enormous BGSes or sign-salad fiestas aren't always helpful either, but do something better than this cheapo/inadequate stuff.  It wouldn't cost that much more.

I think the removal of said signs wuaully happens when one of two things happen. A) They get ran over and damaged or B0 There is a complete replacement of all the signs.  I will say that BGS on a turn island is a poor fit to start with. It inpinges visibility and it is a target for trailers ESPECIALLY wide loads to hit.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Brian556

Quote from: bwana39 on June 20, 2020, 02:08:21 PM
Quote from: -- US 175 -- on June 20, 2020, 12:13:20 PM

I think the removal of said signs wuaully happens when one of two things happen. A) They get ran over and damaged or B0 There is a complete replacement of all the signs.  I will say that BGS on a turn island is a poor fit to start with. It inpinges visibility and it is a target for trailers ESPECIALLY wide loads to hit.

The one at this intersection was on the grass in advance or the right turn lane

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.