Northwest Arkansas Western Beltway moving forward?

Started by MikieTimT, June 20, 2020, 07:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikieTimT

https://www.arkansashighways.com/news/2020_news/NR%2020-161.pdf

Sounds like they are moving forward with at least the section from the Springdale Bypass to the Bella Vista Bypass.  I wasn't expecting this for another 5 years or so.  This was last studied about 10 years ago, but a great deal has changed since then.  Below is the link to the older study, which took the connector all the way to south of Fayetteville, which would put it in my backyard basically, so hope that section doesn't happen until retirement age.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10296.0

MikieTimT

Actually, just noticed that the meeting materials were already up although it isn't scheduled to begin until tomorrow.  Looks like this isn't the Western Beltway as proposed back in 2011, but just another N-S road since there aren't enough of those in an area of this size.  So, it may just be a 2-lane highway, at least initially.

ozarkman417

Looking at the meeting materials, I don't think it would be a bad idea to incorporate the XNA connector in to this project, given the study zones overlap. Plus, travelers could arrive from the north from places like Joplin. XNA actually has considerably more destinations than Springfield (and some that Tulsa doesn't have), including San Fransisco, New York, Twin Cities, DC, and Miami.

edwaleni

Quote from: ozarkman417 on June 20, 2020, 07:43:42 PM
Looking at the meeting materials, I don't think it would be a bad idea to incorporate the XNA connector in to this project, given the study zones overlap. Plus, travelers could arrive from the north from places like Joplin. XNA actually has considerably more destinations than Springfield (and some that Tulsa doesn't have), including San Fransisco, New York, Twin Cities, DC, and Miami.

For what its worth, most of the rental car providers have a reciprocity agreement between Springfield/Branson and XNA.

Meaning you can fly into either, rent a car and drop it off at the other with no penalty. I have done this several times to get more flexibility on times/fares with Allegiant.

I used to know a rep for a company whose sole account was WalMart and he hated driving in and out of XNA. He couldn't understand how someone could come up with the money for a new airport and not for the roads to get to it.

*Anything* that improves access to XNA is a good thing.

MikieTimT

Quote from: edwaleni on June 21, 2020, 03:05:12 PM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on June 20, 2020, 07:43:42 PM

For what its worth, most of the rental car providers have a reciprocity agreement between Springfield/Branson and XNA.

Meaning you can fly into either, rent a car and drop it off at the other with no penalty. I have done this several times to get more flexibility on times/fares with Allegiant.

I used to know a rep for a company whose sole account was WalMart and he hated driving in and out of XNA. He couldn't understand how someone could come up with the money for a new airport and not for the roads to get to it.

*Anything* that improves access to XNA is a good thing.

Well, I took the time to go through the materials and submit my comments, so I've done my part.  If they do build one in the study area, it would take about 7 minutes off each direction of the drive to and from the airport to get my brother when he comes in from Seattle for a family visit, even though I'd be coming up from south of US-412.  I'd be fine with this route as long as it doesn't morph into a western beltway.  By the time that happens, though, I might be ready to retire to somewhere else in the area anyway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.