News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Freeways that aren't really a freeway

Started by tolbs17, July 22, 2021, 07:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

Quote from: kphoger on July 25, 2021, 05:02:50 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 23, 2021, 07:57:12 PM
This looks risky as hell. I wish there was a right turn lane.

How is that any riskier than the dozen business entrances just before there?
Because of the solid white line.

kphoger

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 25, 2021, 05:05:02 PM

No different.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tolbs17

Quote from: kphoger on July 25, 2021, 06:02:04 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 25, 2021, 05:05:02 PM

No different.
Would  it be safer if they just added frontage roads?

kphoger

Depends.  Are people having car crashes because of it the way it is?  If not, then no.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tolbs17

Quote from: kphoger on July 25, 2021, 06:29:02 PM
Depends.  Are people having car crashes because of it the way it is?  If not, then no.
Here's an example.

kphoger

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 25, 2021, 06:31:03 PM

Here's an example.

Of what?  A car crash?
Male pronouns, please.

tolbs17

Quote from: kphoger on July 25, 2021, 06:34:55 PM

Here's an example.

Of what?  A car crash?
No. Through lanes and frontage roads.

KCRoadFan

When I saw the thread title, I thought about the US 50 freeway in Maryland east of DC, along which (especially in the Annapolis area) many of the "exits"  are nothing more than glorified at-grade intersections. (Some of them even have turn arrows marked on the pavement - and they still have exit number signs!)

tolbs17

Quote from: KCRoadFan on July 25, 2021, 08:25:14 PM
When I saw the thread title, I thought about the US 50 freeway in Maryland east of DC, along which (especially in the Annapolis area) many of the "exits"  are nothing more than glorified at-grade intersections. (Some of them even have turn arrows marked on the pavement - and they still have exit number signs!)
Interesting to see. We only have exit numbers on freeways. Should we start signing non-freeways to have exit numbers like this one? Btw, that interchange needs to be completely rebuilt.

kphoger

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 25, 2021, 06:54:00 PM

Here's an example.

Of what?  A car crash?

So it had nothing to do with my statement that you quoted.

What I said is that frontage roads aren't safer if the existing road isn't crash-prone to begin with.
Male pronouns, please.

tolbs17

Quote from: kphoger on July 27, 2021, 10:28:19 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 25, 2021, 06:54:00 PM

Here's an example.

Of what?  A car crash?

So it had nothing to do with my statement that you quoted.

What I said is that frontage roads aren't safer if the existing road isn't crash-prone to begin with.
So does that mean frontage roads will make the arterial worse?

kphoger

Frontage roads don't necessarily make a road worse or better.  It depends.
A SPUI doesn't necessarily make an interchange worse or better.  It depends.
A roundabout doesn't necessarily make an intersection worse of better.  It depends.
___ (fill in the blank) doesn't necessarily make ___ (fill in the blank) worse or better.  It depends.
Male pronouns, please.

dvferyance

Many freeways in Mexico have at grade intersections.

kphoger

Quote from: dvferyance on July 28, 2021, 03:44:30 PM
Many freeways highways in Mexico have at grade intersections.

By definition, they are not freeways.

Note that there are true freeways in Mexico, however.  All the ones I've been on are toll roads.

Actually, non-freeway toll roads in Mexico are rare, for what should be obvious reasons.
Male pronouns, please.

bcroadguy

When I saw the thread title, I thought about the US 50 freeway in Maryland east of DC, along which (especially in the Annapolis area) many of the “exits” are nothing more than glorified at-grade intersections. (Some of them even have turn arrows marked on the pavement - and they still have exit number signs!)

BC has numbered exits that are signalized intersections on Highway 19.

All of them were supposed to be interchanges, but they ran out of money :/

Henry

The quintessential "non-freeway" is one in name only, New York's Rockaway Freeway. Of course, the real freeways in the city are called expressways, and signed as such. Chicago used to be the same way too, until the Calumet Expressway was renamed the Bishop Ford Freeway.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

cpzilliacus

It's full Interstate standard ("secret" I-595) as far east as MD-70 (Rowe Boulevard) in Annapolis.

Beyond that, in Arnold; Cape St. Claire, Whitehall and Skidmore (but not Annapolis) - and on the Queen Anne's County section of U.S. 50/U.S. 301 from the WPL Bridge landing to Queenstown "split" there are several right on/right off "interchanges" that would presumably not be allowed on a "real" Interstate.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Hobart

If it counts for anything, the Bismarck Expressway is only grade separated for two miles before it downgrades to a four lane surface street while keeping the "expressway" monkier. I was thinking they wanted it to be a bypass, but the city grew south.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.