Why isn't rubberized asphalt more common?

Started by kernals12, September 06, 2021, 12:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

I'm vacationing in Arizona at the moment. Since the 60s, the state has mixed crumb rubber from old tires into its asphalt. They find it reduces noise and improves durability and it's a great way to keep tires out of landfill.

So if it's so great, why isn't everyone using it?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kernals12 on September 06, 2021, 12:16:47 PM
I'm vacationing in Arizona at the moment. Since the 60s, the state has mixed crumb rubber from old tires into its asphalt. They find it reduces noise and improves durability and it's a great way to keep tires out of landfill.

How do you know it's so great based on your very limited experience driving on it?  If it's so great, why hasn't your other research picked up on it already?

This is akin to people thinking other state's traffic issues aren't as bad as their own. They drive one or two highways, one time, not during rush hour, and believe that state is so much better than their own state that they need to drive in every day.

Scott5114

I remember OTA making a big deal about using rubberized asphalt on the Turner Turnpike in the late 2000s. I never noticed anything particularly good or bad about it, but it looks like it's still there, so I guess it's durable enough to last for a good while.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Pink Jazz

Actually, ADOT is moving away from rubberized asphalt in favor of diamond grind concrete to save on lifetime costs.

As for why isn't it widely used in other states, from what I read, it doesn't perform as well in cold climates when de-icing the road with salt.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Pink Jazz on September 06, 2021, 04:04:44 PM
Actually, ADOT is moving away from rubberized asphalt in favor of diamond grind concrete to save on lifetime costs.

As for why isn't it widely used in other states, from what I read, it doesn't perform as well in cold climates when de-icing the road with salt.

Well let's just put heating coils in the road and all will be good.

SectorZ

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 06, 2021, 04:49:33 PM

Well let's just put heating coils in the road and all will be good.

Screw that, just jack the atmosphere up to 5000ppm CO2 and get rid of winter.

kernals12

So why doesn't Florida use it?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kernals12 on September 06, 2021, 08:47:39 PM

What does Florida use, and why do they use it?

bing101

Depends on the conditions though one is the rubber asphalt shouldn't catch fire and it has to withstand 45-48 Celsius for x number of years though.
I remember there was a thread about Glass Concrete and Plastic asphalt before but that depended on the conditions of an area though.
https://www.concretedecor.net/departments/concrete-placing/waste-glass-in-concrete-has-advantages-and-disadvantages/

wriddle082

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 06, 2021, 10:41:45 PM

Florida's asphalt mix does appear to contain seashells.  And why do they use them?  Because they're available.  Most states use what is most readily available locally.  They are not going to pay to transport an exotic base aggregate from across the country when something locally can work just as well.

Many southeastern states (Florida included) have converted to something called OGFC (open grade friction course or coarse).  It's very loud and doesn't have a very long lifespan.  It's one of the many woes of South Carolina's roads because they were one of the first to start widespread use of it (though their biggest issue is that they don't maintain it, or anything else for that matter, but I digress).  The one big advantage that OGFC has over Superpave and other mixes is that it's much much safer to drive on in rainy conditions.  Less overspray and ponding being the primary features, which trump the noise factor greatly.  I would venture to guess that the Southeast probably gets more rain, on average, than the other major regions of the country, so having an asphalt mix that wicks away the moisture more quickly is definitely preferred over constant hydroplaning accidents (hello, North Carolina!).

Max Rockatansky

That rubberized asphalt wasn't so durable a decade ago when it was flaking apart on the Loop freeways.  The particular mix ADOT was using didn't hold up so well during summer time heat.

kernals12

Quote from: wriddle082 on September 07, 2021, 05:13:35 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 06, 2021, 10:41:45 PM

Florida's asphalt mix does appear to contain seashells.  And why do they use them?  Because they're available.  Most states use what is most readily available locally.  They are not going to pay to transport an exotic base aggregate from across the country when something locally can work just as well.

Many southeastern states (Florida included) have converted to something called OGFC (open grade friction course or coarse).  It's very loud and doesn't have a very long lifespan.  It's one of the many woes of South Carolina's roads because they were one of the first to start widespread use of it (though their biggest issue is that they don't maintain it, or anything else for that matter, but I digress).  The one big advantage that OGFC has over Superpave and other mixes is that it's much much safer to drive on in rainy conditions.  Less overspray and ponding being the primary features, which trump the noise factor greatly.  I would venture to guess that the Southeast probably gets more rain, on average, than the other major regions of the country, so having an asphalt mix that wicks away the moisture more quickly is definitely preferred over constant hydroplaning accidents (hello, North Carolina!).

I thought open pore asphalt was supposed to reduce noise.

ztonyg

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 07, 2021, 06:02:23 PM
That rubberized asphalt wasn't so durable a decade ago when it was flaking apart on the Loop freeways.  The particular mix ADOT was using didn't hold up so well during summer time heat.

Most of the rubberized asphalt (except for the newest batch on the South Mountain Freeway and the 101 Pima Freeway in Scottsdale (Shea to Loop 202) is in rather rough shape.

bwana39

The big issue is most tires have either polyester, aramid,  or steel belts. They are practically impossible to get out of the rubber.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.