News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Roads ending as roads

Started by Max Rockatansky, September 14, 2021, 08:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Well, what are they and where they located?

Hobart

M-37 by Traverse City, Michigan ends at a parking lot. So does the road to Whitefish Point.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Ned Weasel

All the ones that don't end as a field of grass, a concrete or metal barrier, or a body of water.

Does a road end as a road if it ends as a cul-de-sac?  Does it end as a road if it ends as a parking lot?
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

formulanone

Occidental Tourist

How many roads must a man walk down before a road can be considered to be ending a road?

CoreySamson

In Alanland, roads do not end as roads. They end as migratory headless water buffaloes.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: CoreySamson on September 14, 2021, 09:23:27 PM
In Alanland, roads do not end as roads. They end as migratory headless water buffaloes.

In Alanland roads end you.

jeffandnicole

Terry Shea

M-185 is a circular route on Mackinac Island that doesn't allow for motor vehicle traffic.  It has no real beginning or ending.  You could say it's an 8 mile long roundabout! :)

Rothman

Quote from: Terry Shea on September 15, 2021, 01:23:15 AM
M-185 is a circular route on Mackinac Island that doesn't allow for motor vehicle traffic.  It has no real beginning or ending.  You could say it's an 8 mile long roundabout! :)
Same with any beltway.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Terry Shea

Quote from: Rothman on September 15, 2021, 06:51:28 AM
Quote from: Terry Shea on September 15, 2021, 01:23:15 AM
Same with any beltway.
Except beltways have cross roads or interchanges.

hbelkins

Kentucky has a number of state highways, many signed but some not signed, where state maintenance ends but the road continues as a county-maintained route. KY 12's eastern end at the Franklin-Henry county line is a good example. The route continues as a Henry County road instead of a state road.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Flint1979

Quote from: Hobart on September 14, 2021, 08:51:27 PM
M-37 by Traverse City, Michigan ends at a parking lot. So does the road to Whitefish Point.
M-37 ends in a cul-de-sac.

wanderer2575

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 16, 2021, 09:06:39 PM

As does US-41.  (There's an ORV trail that continues, but to my mind that doesn't count.)

Flint1979

Quote from: wanderer2575 on September 20, 2021, 03:33:00 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on September 16, 2021, 09:06:39 PM

As does US-41.  (There's an ORV trail that continues, but to my mind that doesn't count.)
Yep I drove up to the cul-de-sac at US-41's northern terminus. The route beyond there is pretty rough and it actually connects you back to US-41 southwest of Copper Harbor but it's full of potholes and ruts and puddles of water all over the place and stuff like that so taking a small car isn't advised you need a 4 wheel drive back there. When I went up there I remember looking at the dead end sign and the 55 mph speed limit sign and thinking should I really do 55? Then I saw a deer just before the cul-de-sac that I scared back into the woods but other than that they had brand new asphalt it looked like it had been paved within the last year and this was in June 2020 when I was there. Mandan Road is on maps but I wouldn't suggest taking it beyond US-41's terminus at the cul-de-sac.

thspfc

I-78's eastern terminus does not qualify, as the easternmost 15 miles of it are parking lots. You can leave your car there for 8 hours and neither it nor any of the cars around it will move an inch.

roadman65

US 21 in SC ends onto a local road heading to a private island resort.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

HighwayStar

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on September 14, 2021, 09:21:43 PM
How many roads must a man walk down before a road can be considered to be ending a road?

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

gonealookin

If the road goes on forever and the party never ends, the road can't end as a road.  So have your girlfriend stick a beer between her legs and don't worry about it.

jaehak

I saw a road in Bull Shoals, Arkansas that ended in the lake. At a boat ramp to be specific. There was even a sign that said " Caution: Lake Ahead." Wish I took a picture.

GaryV

This is the road that never ends
Yes it goes on and on my friends
Some people started driving it not knowing what it was
And they'll continue driving it forever just because ...

andrepoiy

I don't quite understand this post, but if OP meant that a particular jurisdiction ends but the physical road itself continues, I'm sure there are plenty of examples of this everywhere

hotdogPi

Quote from: andrepoiy on October 03, 2021, 11:41:40 AM
I don't quite understand this post, but if OP meant that a particular jurisdiction ends but the physical road itself continues, I'm sure there are plenty of examples of this everywhere

It was a parody thread to begin with.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SkyPesos

Quote from: andrepoiy on October 03, 2021, 11:41:40 AM
That day was sort of crazy. Here a thread I made:
Quote from: SkyPesos on September 14, 2021, 09:34:21 PM
Since today seems to be shitpost day here, I'll contribute too  :spin:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.