News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

__________ is/are underrated.

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 03, 2022, 03:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on December 08, 2022, 03:49:07 PM
Pineapple is amazing, but it gives my mouth sores more readily than other fruits.

It's probably the acidity that causes this, but it can vary from one pineapple to another. You can often tell right away if it's a milder one or not. I've never had mouth sores from pineapple, but it sometimes gives me mild heartburn, as do some tomato products and various other foods.

bulldog1979

Quote from: webny99 on December 08, 2022, 04:24:57 PM
Pineapple is amazing, but it gives my mouth sores more readily than other fruits.

It's probably the acidity that causes this, but it can vary from one pineapple to another. You can often tell right away if it's a milder one or not. I've never had mouth sores from pineapple, but it sometimes gives me mild heartburn, as do some tomato products and various other foods.

There is an enzyme in pineapple called bromelain, which is a protease, meaning it breaks apart proteins. Extracts of it are used as a meat tenderizer. In its raw state, pineapple cannot be added to gelatin because the bromelain will prevent the gelatin from setting. This enzyme is denatured with heat, so canned pineapple can be added to gelatin.

I can eat canned pineapple without ill effects, but the raw fruit eats at my mouth something fierce.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: webny99 on December 08, 2022, 04:24:57 PM

Sorta relate. The mouth sores, on me, anyway, are because I'm sort of hyper-nervous at times, and I chew on .. well, the inside of my face.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

CoreySamson

I've heard that putting salt on raw pineapple completely negates the acidic mouth corrosion it does, but I cannot verify it to be true or not.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

US 89

I have mouth sores that sort of come and go with time. If I happen to be eating a pineapple at the same time I have one of those sores... let's just say you don't want to see the results.

kkt

Quote from: webny99 on December 08, 2022, 02:55:45 PM
Pineapple. It's the best fruit by a wide margin.

I am not sure I'd consider it the best.  There's the eat it every day test.  If I ate pineapple every day I'd be sick of it in a week or two.  I can eat an apple every day for months and not be sick of them.

skluth

I honestly don't know how people can eat pineapple. I can't stand it. I don't know if it's the acidity mentioned here but the couple times people have gotten me to eat it I've had to spit it out. This also means I don't like it in cakes or gummies or anything else. The only time I've been able to eat pineapple at all was in fruitcakes and trail mix, but that was in candied form and tiny pieces. I still noticed it but the other flavors removed the vile taste from my mouth quickly.

webny99

Quote from: kkt on December 10, 2022, 10:27:14 AM
Quote from: webny99 on December 08, 2022, 02:55:45 PM
Pineapple. It's the best fruit by a wide margin.

I am not sure I'd consider it the best.  There's the eat it every day test.  If I ate pineapple every day I'd be sick of it in a week or two.  I can eat an apple every day for months and not be sick of them.

I do agree I wouldn't want it every day, but I get a craving for it every once in a while.

Quote from: skluth on December 10, 2022, 11:36:17 AM
I honestly don't know how people can eat pineapple. I can't stand it. I don't know if it's the acidity mentioned here but the couple times people have gotten me to eat it I've had to spit it out. This also means I don't like it in cakes or gummies or anything else. The only time I've been able to eat pineapple at all was in fruitcakes and trail mix, but that was in candied form and tiny pieces. I still noticed it but the other flavors removed the vile taste from my mouth quickly.

I actually don't care for pineapple flavor in other foods like gummies or candies. It's one of those flavors that translates very poorly to other foods, which makes it taste terrible and fake. But I do find pineapple delicious when it's freshly cut and chilled. To me it really doesn't have a very strong taste, maybe a bit sour, but mostly just sweet and juicy, and definitely a different experience than eating something pineapple flavored.

Rothman

I like dried pineapple.  Thought I hated pineapple until I had it fresh off the tree in Hawaii, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

paulthemapguy

Grilled pineapple is way underrated. It's a great thing to have whenever grilling. The pineapple caramelizes, and more of the sweetness dominates the acidity.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: paulthemapguy on December 10, 2022, 09:44:07 PM
Grilled pineapple is way underrated. It's a great thing to have whenever grilling. The pineapple caramelizes, and more of the sweetness dominates the acidity.

Yes, I'm surprised this isn't a more common thing considering how good it is.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on December 10, 2022, 09:11:07 PM
Thought I hated pineapple until I had it fresh off the tree in Hawaii, though.

If it came from a tree, then it wasn't a pineapple.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

After you've cooked a meal on a cold day... leaving the oven door open a crack... and standing in front of it... and holding the bottom of your shirt open above the gap... and enjoying the hot air as it comes up your chest or back.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on December 20, 2022, 08:19:30 PM
After you've cooked a meal on a cold day... leaving the oven door open a crack... and standing in front of it... and holding the bottom of your shirt open above the gap... and enjoying the hot air as it comes up your chest or back.

Or take it to the extreme if you want the ultimate fresh oven experience:

kphoger

Not gonna lie...  After posting that, I pulled a chair up to the oven, took my slippers off, and stuck my feet inside for a while.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on December 20, 2022, 08:19:30 PM

I've done the opposite (enjoyed a cold blast from a fan on a hot day) much more frequently.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kphoger on December 20, 2022, 09:58:40 PM
Not gonna lie...  After posting that, I pulled a chair up to the oven, took my slippers off, and stuck my feet inside for a while.

I really hope you're lying.  :-D
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

formulanone

Not having to scrape your windshield on a frigid morning is a good start to a winter day.

skluth

formulanone

Quote from: skluth on December 21, 2022, 04:39:38 PM
Having a garage is underrated
Unfortunately, I can rarely take it with me on trips.

skluth

Quote from: formulanone on December 21, 2022, 05:00:07 PM
I currently have a carport. It's nice but not the same thing.

formulanone

Quote from: skluth on December 21, 2022, 05:09:33 PM
Gotta say, I was thrilled to move into my first house with a garage which room to fit my car. Only took me 39 years...parents just used garages as a storage facility for unused things and some tools.

My mother is finally at a point where she can fit her car in the garage and store some stuff, but three months later, it's back to being parked outside. This leads to another day of organization and the cycle repeats itself.

jeffandnicole

I don't have a garage or a basement. I would much rather take a garage over a basement. And if I'm going to push it I'll take a two-car garage because I know if I have a one car garage it's not my car that's going to be in the garage.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on December 21, 2022, 05:13:42 PM
Quote from: skluth on December 21, 2022, 05:09:33 PM
Gotta say, I was thrilled to move into my first house with a garage which room to fit my car. Only took me 39 years...parents just used garages as a storage facility for unused things and some tools.

My mother is finally at a point where she can fit her car in the garage and store some stuff, but three months later, it's back to being parked outside. This leads to another day of organization and the cycle repeats itself.

A garage is even better if you can fill it with cool stuff:

https://flic.kr/p/2o7bpfA

MultiMillionMiler

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.