News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Abandoned Part of roads/freeways.

Started by Lukeisroads, February 25, 2023, 09:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

The Jersey Turnpike has a section of abandoned pavement between the two northbound carriageways a short distance north of Exit 8A. It's one of the original carriageways that was abandoned when the quad-carriageway system was extended south to Exit 8A in the late 1980s and it became necessary to build ramps connecting the new inner roadway to a service area. I assume the reason they couldn't just maintain that pavement and put the ramps to one side of it probably had to do with existing right-of-way versus acquisition costs and, presumably, there wasn't room to squeeze another carriageway in between the existing roadway and the service area if the ramps had been located next to the existing road instead of in place of it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Ted$8roadFan

There is a short abandoned segment of the Cross County Parkway in Yonkers, NY at Exit 3 just east of its beginning at the Saw Mill.

Rothman

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on February 28, 2023, 08:01:44 AM
There is a short abandoned segment of the Cross County Parkway in Yonkers, NY at Exit 3 just east of its beginning at the Saw Mill.
The short little segment on the south side?  Doesn't look like that was ever part of the mainline and looks more like a staging area for bridge work.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 28, 2023, 07:53:35 AM
The Jersey Turnpike has a section of abandoned pavement between the two northbound carriageways a short distance north of Exit 8A. It's one of the original carriageways that was abandoned when the quad-carriageway system was extended south to Exit 8A in the late 1980s and it became necessary to build ramps connecting the new inner roadway to a service area. I assume the reason they couldn't just maintain that pavement and put the ramps to one side of it probably had to do with existing right-of-way versus acquisition costs and, presumably, there wasn't room to squeeze another carriageway in between the existing roadway and the service area if the ramps had been located next to the existing road instead of in place of it.

Here?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

sprjus4

roadman65

I-44 in Catoosa, OK comes to mind as when the Creek Turnpike got built, I-44 got realigned to meet with it.  The abandoned part is still in tact but not used.
https://goo.gl/maps/RQRiykotUdTqFR8L7

Seen from OK 66 where I-44 used to diverge.
https://goo.gl/maps/GF5ACvzkw66PSUaP6
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jmacswimmer

Quote from: wanderer2575 on February 27, 2023, 08:16:59 PM
Abandoned Pennsylvania Turnpike east of Breezewood:

(img snipped)

A much newer abandoned section (about 10ish years ago) on the PA Turnpike is a short stretch just east of the Blue Mountain Tunnel.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

wanderer2575

Part of the westbound carriageway of what used to be I-70's connector to a temporary terminus at US-40 near Kirkersville OH, before I-70 was constructed through Columbus.  The eastbound carriageway is now part of OH-158.

https://goo.gl/maps/R9NAzFUxjEq9x38RA

roadman65

Part of I-690 in Syracuse at the Fairgrounds became part of the Fair's parking lot while new carriageways were constructed for the present freeway through that area.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on February 28, 2023, 04:23:03 PM
Part of I-690 in Syracuse at the Fairgrounds became part of the Fair's parking lot while new carriageways were constructed for the present freeway through that area.
Hm.  I'll check on this.  Find it hard to believe given the terrain.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

amroad17

Quote from: Rothman on February 28, 2023, 05:24:07 PM
" roadman65"  is correct.  I-690 used to split at the Fairgrounds.  The roadway just to the north of State Fair Blvd, the one with the overpasses above it, used to be the eastbound lanes of I-690.  I-690's EB lanes were moved beside the WB lanes to accommodate the interchange with NY 695 in the mid-1970's. https://goo.gl/maps/XUPyBwDxQkQBwFwG8
Here is a view from the ramp from NY 695 to EB I-690. https://goo.gl/maps/yFMsbYkrs6HV9J5P7
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Dirt Roads

Quote from: jmacswimmer on February 28, 2023, 11:43:46 AM
A much newer abandoned section (about 10ish years ago) on the PA Turnpike is a short stretch just east of the Blue Mountain Tunnel.

And there's the tiny exposed section of the old West Virginia Turnpike at the west end of the Memorial Tunnel.  For that matter, the entire Memorial Tunnel might count (except that it's not technically abandoned, if you consider that the folks in rail transit use it as a training ground for subway disaster response).  We've got an entire (mock) subway station deep inside.

roadman65

Quote from: Rothman on February 28, 2023, 05:24:07 PM

1972 historic aerials confirms this. The median used to be wide with parking for the fair in the median hence all the bridges in the main parking area.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

Quote from: Rothman on February 28, 2023, 08:28:24 AM
The short little segment on the south side?  Doesn't look like that was ever part of the mainline and looks more like a staging area for bridge work.
Are you sure Ted's not talking about the north side?

Rothman

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 06, 2023, 09:41:51 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 28, 2023, 08:28:24 AM
Are you sure Ted's not talking about the north side?
Either way, are we really here to highlight every tiny realignment?  That's not really abandonment like the PA Turnpike examples.

webny99

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 27, 2023, 11:30:04 AM
Quote from: pderocco on February 26, 2023, 10:17:32 PM
The very end of US-6 on Cape Cod was narrowed from a divided road to a two-lane road some years ago, but they never dug up all the remains:

https://goo.gl/maps/Yk561JY9EzvazgFF9

This view looks better. You can actually see the former lane from here.

What was the point of realigning such a short segment?

webny99

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 28, 2023, 11:34:20 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 28, 2023, 07:53:35 AM

Here?

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 28, 2023, 11:35:00 AM
^ Look just north of there.

It seems odd that they bothered to cover over some of the abandoned roadway, but not all of it.

RobbieL2415

D-Dey65

Quote from: Rothman on March 06, 2023, 10:40:08 PM
Either way, are we really here to highlight every tiny realignment?  That's not really abandonment like the PA Turnpike examples.
Okay, I found out about the one on the south side shortly after your reply. This clearly looks like a proposed service road expansion, but there's also a stub of a connecting ramp after the eastbound C-D road extension .

Rothman

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 10, 2023, 03:40:47 PM
Okay, I found out about the one on the south side shortly after your reply. This clearly looks like a proposed service road expansion, but there's also a stub of a connecting ramp after the eastbound C-D road extension .
Looks like a maintenance turnaround to me in those links.

pderocco

Quote from: webny99 on March 07, 2023, 08:48:50 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 27, 2023, 11:30:04 AM
Quote from: pderocco on February 26, 2023, 10:17:32 PM
The very end of US-6 on Cape Cod was narrowed from a divided road to a two-lane road some years ago, but they never dug up all the remains:

https://goo.gl/maps/Yk561JY9EzvazgFF9

This view looks better. You can actually see the former lane from here.

What was the point of realigning such a short segment?

The point was that it used to be a divided road through the intersection with the traffic light. It was confusing to people coming up 6A and turning left to go to Race Point. Do you turn left, and then wait for cars coming down 6, or do you just turn left and barge through? There were a lot of accidents there. So they necked it down to two lanes before the intersection, and that solved the problem.

I'm not sure why they dug up the old pavement south of the intersection, but not north.

tsmatt13

A section of Bragg Blvd. (NC-24) was abandoned after NC-24 was rerouted to the east concurrently with NC-210. This abandoned section is not maintained anymore, but still has NC-24 signage (see link below).

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1526965,-78.9691849,3a,17.8y,165.32h,89.51t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sjU_Nh9AY7sYbgBt4QEYS-g!2e0!5s20190601T000000!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en
Interstates & freeways clinched: 16, 78, 87 (NY), 97, 287, 295 (NJ/PA/DE), 676, ACE, GSP

Troubleshooter

Quote from: jmacswimmer on February 28, 2023, 11:43:46 AM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on February 27, 2023, 08:16:59 PM
Abandoned Pennsylvania Turnpike east of Breezewood:

(img snipped)

Is that Sideling Service Area a distorted Diverging Diamond?

kphoger

Quote from: Lukeisroads on February 25, 2023, 09:38:01 AM
We all know what freeways are. But where are the abandoned parts of the freeways/roads. I have some in my area how about yours?

are we really here to highlight every tiny realignment?

Seems like a fair question for the OP.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bugo

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 25, 2023, 03:07:29 PM
There's this little bit of former I-44 northeast of Tulsa which was rerouted to meet the Creek Turnpike.

It's always annoyed me that they didn't dig it up.

Why do you want them to demolish it? It isn't hurting you. It isn't hurting anybody. It's a really neat place and I'm glad it's there. I don't understand how somebody can call themselves a "road enthusiast" but they want everything interesting about the hobby to go away.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.