News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Road Hog

The only possible reason ARDOT did this was to keep the status quo for the majority of exits as long as possible, even though it is just kicking the can down the road.

MikieTimT

It's unfortunate for any new businesses that are about to break ground on any of those new exits.  They'll have to update exit numbers in their marketing unnecessarily as they were correct to begin with, unless there's some sort of rerouting between Texarkana and Rye Hill that hasn't been publicized.  Texas must really want a northern bypass of Texarkana at some point, otherwise, they wouldn't want to cost share a Red River bridge with Arkansas.

bwana39

Quote from: MikieTimT on January 30, 2022, 09:41:18 PM
It's unfortunate for any new businesses that are about to break ground on any of those new exits.  They'll have to update exit numbers in their marketing unnecessarily as they were correct to begin with, unless there's some sort of rerouting between Texarkana and Rye Hill that hasn't been publicized.  Texas must really want a northern bypass of Texarkana at some point, otherwise, they wouldn't want to cost share a Red River bridge with Arkansas.

This is nothing new. The SB (the older of the two) US-71 Red River bridge Was paid for with designated federal funds. Texas paid its share of the construction. Arkansas provided "in-kind" funding (primarily the ROW). This bridge does actually land in Texas (more or less).
The newer (NB) bridge is absolutely ALL in Arkansas and TXDOT paid half out of the federal 80/20 funds as did Arkansas and paid the 20% from state funds.

This bridge was promised back before Arkansas unilaterally re-routed I-49 from the west side of town to the east side. You help your poor busted brother in law even after he fails to hold up his end of the bargain.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

MikieTimT

Quote from: MikieTimT on January 12, 2022, 09:55:25 AM
Here is the proposed schematic for the section with the I-49 Arkansas River Bridge.  Since this was dated prior to the Great Arkansas River Flood of 2019, I wonder about how current the profile charts are that show the distance above the current ground level now that we've had a new high water mark in the area.

https://www.ardot.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/2018-05-01_I49-Schematic_DRAFT2_SpringHillPark-GunClubRoad.pdf

Just noticed that the draft plans back in 2018 had a provision under the overpass for Gun Club Rd. for passenger rail.  This is certainly the first I've ever seen about anything for passenger rail ever being considered along the Arkansas River north of the levee.  Interesting concept, but have my doubts as to how serious anyone would be for such a project.

edwaleni

Quote from: MikieTimT on February 17, 2022, 11:46:23 AM
Here is the proposed schematic for the section with the I-49 Arkansas River Bridge.  Since this was dated prior to the Great Arkansas River Flood of 2019, I wonder about how current the profile charts are that show the distance above the current ground level now that we've had a new high water mark in the area.

https://www.ardot.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/2018-05-01_I49-Schematic_DRAFT2_SpringHillPark-GunClubRoad.pdf

Just noticed that the draft plans back in 2018 had a provision under the overpass for Gun Club Rd. for passenger rail.  This is certainly the first I've ever seen about anything for passenger rail ever being considered along the Arkansas River north of the levee.  Interesting concept, but have my doubts as to how serious anyone would be for such a project.

I just looked at the 2021 HSR for Arkansas Report and there is no mention of it. (Little Rock to Texarkana is all)

I also went back and looked at the AASHTO passenger rail report for 2001 and there was nothing about it.

MikieTimT

Quote from: edwaleni on February 17, 2022, 04:11:29 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on February 17, 2022, 11:46:23 AM

I just looked at the 2021 HSR for Arkansas Report and there is no mention of it. (Little Rock to Texarkana is all)

I also went back and looked at the AASHTO passenger rail report for 2001 and there was nothing about it.

Maybe it was LSR instead?

Rick Powell

Quote from: MikieTimT on February 17, 2022, 05:33:17 PM

Maybe it was LSR instead?

I have worked on plans for a few bridges that included a "future rail corridor" or "future 2nd track" dating back to the 1990's. And still waiting.   

skluth

Bentonville wants feedback on plans to extend J Street to I-49
QuoteThe city of Bentonville is seeking feedback on a $37.2 million project to extend Northeast J Street to Interstate 49. Preliminary plans show the 1.1-mile project will include an interchange similar to the one at I-49 and Central Avenue (Arkansas Highway 72).

The city is working with Garver on project design and will host a virtual meeting at 5:30 p.m. Thursday (Feb. 17). Meeting attendees can ask staff about the project. Comments also are being accepted online until March 4. Link here for project details.

Northeast J Street will be widened to four lanes and be extended to I-49 between Tiger Boulevard and the interstate.

Dennis Birge, transportation director for the city of Bentonville, said the project was included in the city's master street plan in 2007, but the money to complete the project wasn't available then. Since then, the city has worked with Garver to update street project priorities to meet growth projections for the next 20 years. The city is expected to exceed a population of 100,000 by 2040.

Garver identified the extension of Northeast J Street as a top priority. In 2021, Bentonville voters approved a bond issue that includes $173.5 million in street projects. The extension of Northeast J Street is expected to be the largest street project in the bond issue.

Birge cited the relocation of the Walmart home office along J Street and the proximity to Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art as factors supporting the project need. He also pointed to the congestion of existing highways that connect to I-49, including Central Avenue and Arkansas Highway 102.

"We feel like the need for an additional connection to I-49 or inlet or outlet to I-49 was needed,"  he said. "By the time we applied some growth factors to get us out to a 2040 traffic count, we felt like this would be needed."

The virtual meeting will be the first look at the conceptual design. According to the plans, Northeast J Street, which runs between Allencroft and Chapel Hill subdivisions, will be widened to four lanes with a center median. Side paths and sidewalks will be included. The street will be extended until intersecting with I-49 south of Slaughter Pen Road. Two bridges will be needed for the project.

Birge noted the street will be narrowed to fit between the subdivisions and doesn't anticipate any homes being affected. However, fences might need to be moved and yards adjusted to make way for the street. He added that the design is preliminary, and the city is working to determine exactly where the street will run before seeking environmental approval.

Design and permitting are expected to be completed over three to five years. The project will need approval from the Arkansas Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration as it will intersect with I-49.

Birge said the project was estimated to cost $37.2 million, but he expects it will be more since the estimate was given in late 2020. A better estimate is expected to be provided during the design. The city will seek state or federal grant money to pay for the project, Birge said.
Link at headline

The Ghostbuster

Now that they are planning on connecting the two Interstate 49 segments between Barling and Alma (one of which is currently AR 549), I wonder what exit numbers the new segment of 49/549 will get. Maybe when it's completed, the morons in charge of the exit numbers will finally give the Alma-to-Missouri segment their proper numbers, although I doubt it.

MikieTimT

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 18, 2022, 02:09:24 PM
Now that they are planning on connecting the two Interstate 49 segments between Barling and Alma (one of which is currently AR 549), I wonder what exit numbers the new segment of 49/549 will get. Maybe when it's completed, the morons in charge of the exit numbers will finally give the Alma-to-Missouri segment their proper numbers, although I doubt it.

I'd wager they go back and retroactively change the AR-549 numbers to count down to 0 at US-71 between Rye Hill and Jenny Lind.  'cause that's apparently how ARDOT rolls.

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on February 18, 2022, 06:56:04 PM

I'd wager they go back and retroactively change the AR-549 numbers to count down to 0 at US-71 between Rye Hill and Jenny Lind.  'cause that's apparently how ARDOT rolls.

BUT  north of Bentonville, the exits are numbered from Texarkana , as are the exits beginning ending at Barling. So, theoretically, at least, 49 could use the "proper" numbering sequence.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MikieTimT

Quote from: US71 on February 18, 2022, 08:45:49 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on February 18, 2022, 06:56:04 PM

BUT  north of Bentonville, the exits are numbered from Texarkana , as are the exits beginning ending at Barling. So, theoretically, at least, 49 could use the "proper" numbering sequence.

As was stated earlier in the thread and shown by the pictures I posted, the exits north of Bentonville were retroactively changed 3 weeks ago to match the exit numbers between Alma and Bentonville.  Thus, our questioning of ARDOT's logic in general on the subject.  There is no longer an Exit 284, Exit 287, and Exit 289.  The reasoning baffles us all...

The Ghostbuster

Wikipedia still lists the exits as 284, 287 and 289 (not that I or anyone else should rely on Wikipedia): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_49_in_Arkansas. The interesting thing I've noticed recently on that page is all the exits with former Interstate 540's numbers have the Interstate 49 "future" numbers posted alongside the existing exits. Maybe (and that's a big maybe) they will still get the correct numbers someday.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 19, 2022, 12:32:36 PM
Wikipedia still lists the exits as 284, 287 and 289 (not that I or anyone else should rely on Wikipedia): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_49_in_Arkansas. The interesting thing I've noticed recently on that page is all the exits with former Interstate 540's numbers have the Interstate 49 "future" numbers posted alongside the existing exits. Maybe (and that's a big maybe) they will still get the correct numbers someday.

It is still listed as those exit numbers on Google Maps as well.  :hmmm:
Renewed roadgeek

yakra

I don't know where they came up with this nonsense about the "former" exit numbers on the BVB. TMK it was never posted with those numbers, going straight to the future I-49 numbers before being *cough* "fixed".
To be charitable, maybe an editor meant to do it right and had a HERP DERP moment.
Beauty of Wikipedia though is any of us can edit it.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

The Ghostbuster

Do we have any Wikipedia editors on the AARoads Fourm? If so, an edit to the "Interstate 49 in Arkansas" page would be much appreciated.

US71

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 21, 2022, 04:44:14 PM
Do we have any Wikipedia editors on the AARoads Fourm? If so, an edit to the "Interstate 49 in Arkansas" page would be much appreciated.

I think Scott is... or was

yakra

I edited it, edit got reverted per "lol look at teh googlz" , then edited it again with the citations more prominently inline with the individual exit numbers. The same IP addx has since edited the page again, allowing the new exit numbers to stand.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

The Ghostbuster

Thank you, yakra. The page looks a lot better now. I would have liked to see old 284, 287, and 289 numberings for the last three exits (hopefully those numbers will be reinstated someday), but the changes already made are sufficient.

US71

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 22, 2022, 01:49:12 PM
Thank you, yakra. The page looks a lot better now. I would have liked to see old 284, 287, and 289 numberings for the last three exits (hopefully those numbers will be reinstated someday), but the changes already made are sufficient.

Like these?

MikieTimT

Quote from: US71 on February 27, 2022, 11:08:41 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 22, 2022, 01:49:12 PM

Like these?

Ah, the good old days, before ARDOT removed our hope of a completed I-49 in our lifetimes!  I just wish there was 1 out of the 3 states that it was in that was able to complete it to logical termini with no gaps.

US71

So what happens to AR 549

MikieTimT

Quote from: US71 on February 27, 2022, 09:44:34 PM

That's the million dollar question.  Some of us have half-jokingly postulated that they'll retroactively go back and renumber those once the Arkansas River valley is bridged and connected up at Alma and start the mileage back to 0 at US-71 termination south of Rye Hill until the Ouachitas are connected up in a couple of decades or so.  I guess it depends on whether they do grade separation in the Super-2 portion south of Ft. Smith along with overpasses and exits like they did with the BVB.  If so, then they probably fix everything once there's a Super-2 complete replacement for US-71 to Texarkana with exits and mile markers.  Otherwise, if they do at-grade intersections in the middle of the state like AR-530 in southeast AR, then they likely aren't bothering with exit numbers and signing at that point and they likely want to relieve the nagging they'll get about the subject until everything gets funded to complete the 2nd carriageway, which means that a 2nd set of miles beginning at 0 for AR-549/I-49 in the state isn't totally beyond the realm of possibility given the DOT we're dealing with.

The Ghostbuster

It is said that after the Barling-to-Alma segment is completed, ARDOT will next try to fund and construct the segment of Interstate 49/AR 549 from White Bluff southward to Y City.

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: US71 on February 27, 2022, 09:44:34 PM

I'm guessing their plan is to take so long finishing it no one will remember the exit renumbering

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.