News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

OpenStreetMap

Started by NE2, April 11, 2011, 10:08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadsguy

Was the Bing satellite view removed from the Potlatch editor? I see a blank background, with no option for anything in the "Backgrounds" tab except manually entering something.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

vtk

That kind of sounds like a configuration file failed to load.  I wouldn't expect a fix, though.  The main developer for Potlatch also significantly helped to create iD, and I don't think he really wants to keep maintaining two editors concurrently.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

compdude787

I guess it got fixed. I just tried it now and the imagery showed up just fine. Personally I don't like iD--I've used it a couple of times and was just dissatisfied with it. In my opinion iD is to Windows 8 as Potlatch 2 is to Windows 7 as Potlatch 1.4 was to Windows Vista.

vtk

Potlatch 1.x was more like Windows 9x

Roadsguy

Potlatch is still not loading the Bing satellite view for me, but iD loads it right away no problem.

Not that it's that big a deal for me anyway. The few times I edit OSM are almost always in JOSM.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Katavia

The only time I have tried Potlatch, it was a pain in the butt. Also it looks like MapQuest took down their direct tiling system.
(Former) pizza delivery driver with a penchant for highways.
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

Roadsguy

Is it a good idea to use proposed tags in the map if the proposal is under way? Specifically I have destination details in mind.

vtk

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 17, 2016, 10:15:30 AM
Is it a good idea to use proposed tags in the map if the proposal is under way? Specifically I have destination details in mind.

I don't see how it can hurt.

Roadsguy

Looks like someone forgot which state was where.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 22, 2017, 04:48:45 PM
Looks like someone forgot which state was where.

If you look at the history, it was a 'paid' mapper from India or another country who have no idea what road shields in the US look like. :/
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/53765096
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/venkanna37

Not the worse I've seen from a 'Paid' mapper, but still very annoying.  Had to correct them a ton of times when they believe that 'Tiger' is 'god' and can't be disputed.

(Sorry Roadsguy, thought I had hit 'quote', and instead originally edited your message and put my response in it.)

MoiraPrime

Since this thread still exists, I'll post this here since it's rather interesting...

The Engineering Working Group of the OpenStreetMap Foundation commissioned a study on how to improve the OSM data model. The article about it can be found here: https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2023/01/04/reminder-call-for-feedback-on-the-data-model/

The direct link to the PDF of the study can be found here: https://media.jochentopf.com/media/2022-08-15-study-evolution-of-the-osm-data-model.pdf

The article summarizes the study as follows:
QuoteThe Engineering Working Group of the OpenStreetMap Foundation commissioned a study in the beginning of 2022 on how to improve the existing data model. Jochen Topf has delivered the results of this study, including recommendations on how to make the OpenStreetMap data model more computationally efficient and more accessible.

Two key suggestions have been made:

introducing an area datatype for representing polygons
getting rid of untagged nodes

MoiraPrime

Despite it being 10 years since the block, there are still 34,000 ways in OpenStreetMap that haven't been touched since NE2 last touched them.

https://twitter.com/OSMChangesets/status/1615830912717004811

Someone keeps jumping the gun in Texas and signs every section of the proposed I-69 corridors built to Interstate standards as I-69, I-69W, I-69C or I-69E, despite the fact Texas hasn't designated those sections as such and AASHTO hasn't designated, let alone approved, of the designation along those sections. One time, even going as far as to make ALL of US 77 between Corpus Christi and Brownsville a motorway. I changed it back so the I-69 references were only on the designated sections once, but it got changed back again. I haven't attempted to fix it yet, in hopes of avoiding an edit war. I'll just let someone else fix that, unless I have permission to fix it again.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: 707 on April 17, 2023, 01:50:12 PM
I changed it back so the I-69 references were only on the designated sections once, but it got changed back again. I haven't attempted to fix it yet, in hopes of avoiding an edit war. I'll just let someone else fix that, unless I have permission to fix it again.

You could report said user to the OSM mods.

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on April 18, 2023, 04:06:18 AM
Quote from: 707 on April 17, 2023, 01:50:12 PM
I changed it back so the I-69 references were only on the designated sections once, but it got changed back again. I haven't attempted to fix it yet, in hopes of avoiding an edit war. I'll just let someone else fix that, unless I have permission to fix it again.

You could report said user to the OSM mods.

Thanks. I might just do that.

Also, found myself cracking up laughing at this:
https://twitter.com/OSMChangesets/status/1493315181841113090

roadman65

I think you should ignore him. He's not worth the effort.

Sorry I'm a bit late to react, but a PM sent out today I believe was in regards to this.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.