News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

AHTD Says I-40 work between Little Rock and Memphis to be complete before July 4

Started by ChoralScholar, July 02, 2013, 03:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChoralScholar

http://www.katv.com/story/22744673/four-work-zones-to-greet-ark-motorists-on-july-4

LITTLE ROCK (AP) - Four work zones will greet Arkansas motorists on major state highways during the holiday weekend, but state highway officials say Interstate 40 between Little Rock and Memphis will have all lanes open.

The state Highway and Transportation Department on Tuesday urged drivers to be careful while in the construction areas.

Traffic on I-40 near Hazen has been snarled for months because of construction around the White River bridge, but Highway Department Director Scott Bennett said work is nearly complete and all lanes will be open.

Lane reductions are still in place on I-40 near Russellville, I-530 near Redfield, I-540 in Fort Smith and U.S. 67 near Bald Knob.
"Turn down... on the blue road...."

rte66man

Quote from: ChoralScholar on July 02, 2013, 03:46:48 PM
http://www.katv.com/story/22744673/four-work-zones-to-greet-ark-motorists-on-july-4

LITTLE ROCK (AP) - Four work zones will greet Arkansas motorists on major state highways during the holiday weekend, but state highway officials say Interstate 40 between Little Rock and Memphis will have all lanes open.

Traffic on I-40 near Hazen has been snarled for months because of construction around the White River bridge, but Highway Department Director Scott Bennett said work is nearly complete and all lanes will be open.

Months?  That's a gross understatement.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

ChoralScholar

US71

Quote from: ChoralScholar on July 04, 2013, 06:49:53 PM
Well, has anybody been through?  Is it done?

I'll be in LR next weekend, but won't be any further east most likely.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ChoralScholar

It is indeed complete.  I went through eastbound last Sunday, and then westbound today.  There are spots that they are pouring the footing for adding barrier cables like the ones they are working on from Morrilton west.  So I fully expect some temporary closures in the near future.  But enjoy it for now!

codyg1985

Now it is time for Forrest City to get in some of that I-40 congestion action.

Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

US71

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 14, 2013, 08:30:38 PM

Also Russellville. At least 2 bridges are in the process of being replaced on WB 40 in the vicinity of Lake Dardanelle. I've not checked to see if the EB bridges are next.

Of course, I-540 south if I-40 is a nightmare.

ChoralScholar

Russellville is where I live.  I didn't realize they were replacing bridges - I thought it was just a resurfacing project.

msunat97

There are 2 bridges being replaced west of exit 81 if I remember correctly.

US71

Quote from: msunat97 on July 15, 2013, 12:22:58 PM

One at Lake Dardanelle, one at Mill Creek.

Then again, Russellville was ignored when Huckabee "fixed" the roads, so it's way past due for refurbishment.

Road Hog

Quote from: US71 on July 15, 2013, 12:30:06 PM

Then again, Russellville was ignored when Huckabee "fixed" the roads, so it's way past due for refurbishment.

The Russellville segment was in decent shape about 13 years ago when the bond program was started. Didn't take long to fall apart.

rte66man

Quote from: Road Hog on July 15, 2013, 07:01:54 PM

The Russellville segment was in decent shape about 13 years ago when the bond program was started. Didn't take long to fall apart.

That was original pavement from the early 60's. AR had done some joint repairs over the years, but that concrete is long overdue for some rehab.  Sme goes for the bridges.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

ChoralScholar

Quote from: rte66man on July 16, 2013, 10:57:03 AM
Quote from: Road Hog on July 15, 2013, 07:01:54 PM

That was original pavement from the early 60's. AR had done some joint repairs over the years, but that concrete is long overdue for some rehab.  Sme goes for the bridges.

rte66man

I'm not sure how much was original - when I was a junior or senior in high school (mid 90's) they did a resurface from Atkins (my home town) to Russellville.  About 10 miles worth.  I remember this vividly.  I'm not sure how far west it went.

golden eagle

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 14, 2013, 08:30:38 PM

I was in Forrest City the weekend after Thanksgiving. The Friday traffic wasn't bad at all. However, on that Saturday, I saw a lot of traffic coming down U.S. 70 as I was coming out of the neigborhood where my relatives live. I thought there might've been an accident, but there wasn't. Just traffic that didn't want to deal with I-40.

Brian556

Just be glad I-40 didn't cover up US 70, so there is at least an alt route. Had this been Texas, there would be no alt route, and everyone would just be f-ed.

pj3970

Quote from: Brian556 on December 18, 2013, 09:00:38 PM
Just be glad I-40 didn't cover up US 70, so there is at least an alt route. Had this been Texas, there would be no alt route, and everyone would just be f-ed.

There actually is US 64 to the north that can be used as an alternative to I-40 as well as US 70...used to live in Arkansas for about 5 years and traveled 64 regularly from Bald Knob to Memphis

Road Hog

Quote from: pj3970 on December 18, 2013, 09:24:19 PM

There actually is US 64 to the north that can be used as an alternative to I-40 as well as US 70...used to live in Arkansas for about 5 years and traveled 64 regularly from Bald Knob to Memphis

Not a bad drive ... as long as you don't get stuck behind a combine harvester.

US71

Quote from: Road Hog on December 19, 2013, 01:19:15 AM
Quote from: pj3970 on December 18, 2013, 09:24:19 PM

Not a bad drive ... as long as you don't get stuck behind a combine harvester.

Or granny heading to the beauty salon ;)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.