News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Shows That could have been Faves if the network did not cancel them

Started by roadman65, November 17, 2018, 12:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

abefroman329

Quote from: english si on November 19, 2018, 01:34:14 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on November 17, 2018, 04:19:47 PMLife on Mars (US)
I know the US series, post-cancellation-announcement had a terrible ending, however the UK series' sequel had likewise with the finale. It aired a couple of days before Lost's infamously terrible finale, though I watched it pretty much straight after to try and get over the terribleness of Lost - it was a show I enjoyed more, but cared less about the theory stuff and wasn't what people were talking about, and it hurt in that same way, but more so. That same, crippling, "Well everything that's gone before, that I enjoyed so much, has been turned into ash. Thanks for wasting so much of my time - it was great until I saw this, now it's annoying and unpleasant" feeling.
I agree, the finale was appalling, moreso now that I know that was the plan for the finale all along and not just a fuck-you to ABC for canceling the show.

I've been trying to watch the UK version, but I know very little about Manchester specifically and the UK in general, so I don't really get all of the various references. Though I finally got to see that weird "girl playing noughts and crosses with a clown"  test pattern I read about in a book.

bandit957

Quote from: BamaZeus on November 19, 2018, 12:03:16 PM
Freaks and Geeks should have survived longer than it did

I didn't regularly watch this show, but I burst out laughing when I happened to see the episode where the kid said, "Remember when I tried for a fart and it came out a poop?"
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

jon daly

Quote from: Henry on November 19, 2018, 09:25:31 AM
As a native Chicagoan, I would say Superior Donuts. I wish they'd add a third season to see what would become of a stellar cast that included the always brilliant veterans Katey Sagal and Judd Hirsch.

Another recent CBS sitcom that died earlier than it should've, IMO, was "The Millers" with Will Arnett. That may be the last network sitcom I've watched regularly.

If I'm watching junk TV, it's often basic cable stuff like (pseudo)History or Discovery and those have plenty of shows with the opposite problem; shows that could be faves if they developed and didn't get too repetitive.

bandit957

Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Mr_Northside

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 19, 2018, 06:05:19 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 19, 2018, 12:47:38 PM
Wasn't there a third spinoff of Law & Order that didn't last? I think it may have been called "Trial By Jury."

Not quite fitting the OP's criteria, but it's hard to believe that as big of a franchise as "Star Trek" became, the series only lasted three seasons.
There was also a spinoff called Law and Order: UK that lasted a lot longer than it should have. Particularly since, as I understand it, the scripts paid no attention to the substantial difference between UK and US criminal justice systems.

There was also the short lived Law & Order: Los Angeles (or it might have just been "LA")
I caught a bunch of the episodes, but it wasn't that great.  If I recall correctly, they decided Alfred Molina would make a better detective than an ADA about halfway into the season, and had to try and "explain" that to the audience. 
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

abefroman329

Quote from: Mr_Northside on November 20, 2018, 02:10:23 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on November 19, 2018, 06:05:19 PM
Wasn't there a third spinoff of Law & Order that didn't last? I think it may have been called "Trial By Jury."

Not quite fitting the OP's criteria, but it's hard to believe that as big of a franchise as "Star Trek" became, the series only lasted three seasons.
There was also a spinoff called Law and Order: UK that lasted a lot longer than it should have. Particularly since, as I understand it, the scripts paid no attention to the substantial difference between UK and US criminal justice systems.

There was also the short lived Law & Order: Los Angeles (or it might have just been "LA")
I caught a bunch of the episodes, but it wasn't that great.  If I recall correctly, they decided Alfred Molina would make a better detective than an ADA about halfway into the season, and had to try and "explain" that to the audience.
And Chicago Justice didn't even last a full season.  I'm sensing a pattern here.

US71

Quote from: Mr_Northside on November 20, 2018, 02:10:23 PM

Correct the first time. :)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Mark68

Quote from: Henry on November 19, 2018, 09:25:31 AM
As a native Chicagoan, I would say Superior Donuts. I wish they'd add a third season to see what would become of a stellar cast that included the always brilliant veterans Katey Sagal and Judd Hirsch.

My wife and I liked that show. I was disappointed it got canceled. I enjoyed how they dealt with some relatively heavy topics.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

hbelkins

Quote from: Brandon on November 19, 2018, 04:06:00 PM
Quote from: Takumi on November 19, 2018, 12:56:27 PM
Yep. It was notable for the last appearance of Briscoe. Also its arrangement of the Law & Order theme was reused for the later seasons of Criminal Intent.

Well, the death of Jerry Orbach (playing Lenny Briscoe) might have had a little to do with it.

Didn't he quit the original L&O before he got sick?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on November 21, 2018, 02:26:26 PM
Quote from: Brandon on November 19, 2018, 04:06:00 PM
Quote from: Takumi on November 19, 2018, 12:56:27 PM
Yep. It was notable for the last appearance of Briscoe. Also its arrangement of the Law & Order theme was reused for the later seasons of Criminal Intent.

Well, the death of Jerry Orbach (playing Lenny Briscoe) might have had a little to do with it.

Didn't he quit the original L&O before he got sick?

Yes, he did, so he could do the new show.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

paulthemapguy

The Dana Carvey Show.  It only lasted like 5-6 episodes before it was cut.  Look for the original episodes on Youtube.  They're downright hilarious.  You also get to see a young Steve Carell and a young Stephen Colbert in action.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

abefroman329

Quote from: paulthemapguy on November 22, 2018, 12:02:21 PM
The Dana Carvey Show.  It only lasted like 5-6 episodes before it was cut.  Look for the original episodes on Youtube.  They're downright hilarious.  You also get to see a young Steve Carell and a young Stephen Colbert in action.
Alas, the world wasn't ready for a sketch featuring Bill Clinton nursing a puppy during primetime on network television.

Stephane Dumas

WKRP, CBS still moved its schedule from year to another. It's been a miracle then it menaged to last 4 years with the way CBS treated that series. Got more popular with the reruns.

Hee Haw was more lucky and menaged to survive the CBS Rural purge to continue to be produced in syndication until the early 1990s.

abefroman329

Wasn't there another show in the same universe as Petticoat Junction and Green Acres?

hbelkins

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 22, 2018, 04:17:12 PM
Wasn't there another show in the same universe as Petticoat Junction and Green Acres?

Beverly Hillbillies.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on November 22, 2018, 09:28:33 PM

Beverly Hillbillies.
I meant another show set in/near Hooterville. You are right, though, apparently Hooterville is mentioned on BH.

roadman

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 22, 2018, 09:34:32 PM
Wasn’t there another show in the same universe as Petticoat Junction and Green Acres?

Beverly Hillbillies.
I meant another show set in/near Hooterville. You are right, though, apparently Hooterville is mentioned on BH.
Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction didn't start to cross over until the later seasons of both series.  One of my favorite crossover episodes was when Mr. Drysdale wound up in the Ripley county jail when he was caught driving the Clampett's truck with some of Granny's "tonic" in the back and Elly's bear (who was drunk) in the front.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

abefroman329

Quote from: roadman on November 23, 2018, 12:53:21 PM

Beverly Hillbillies.
Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction didn't start to cross over until the later seasons of both series.  One of my favorite crossover episodes was when Mr. Drysdale wound up in the Ripley county jail when he was caught driving the Clampett's truck with some of Granny's "tonic" in the back and Elly's bear (who was drunk) in the front.
Wasn't Hooverville supposed to be relatively close to NYC? I thought the Douglases traveled back there frequently.

roadman

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 23, 2018, 12:59:40 PM
Quote from: roadman on November 23, 2018, 12:53:21 PM
Wasn’t there another show in the same universe as Petticoat Junction and Green Acres?

Beverly Hillbillies.
Wasn’t Hooverville supposed to be relatively close to NYC? I thought the Douglases traveled back there frequently.

Hooterville was at an undesignated distance and location west of Chicago, and required about four connections between NYC and Pixley.  This was established in the first episode of Green Acres when Lisa asked Oliver where Hooterville was.  Also, a little known fact.  The railroad initials "C&FW" in Petticoat Junction stood for "Chicago and Far Western", which was a play on Chicago and North Western and Chicago Great Western, two of the mainstay railroads in the Chicago area in the early 1960s.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

hbelkins

Wasn't it established that the Beverly Hillbillies were from Arkansas? I grew up thinking they were from Tennessee.

Was there ever an attempt to tie in Gomer Pyle to the BH/GA/PJ triad? I also remember there being a fourth show that had a connection, but can't remember what it was.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on November 23, 2018, 01:47:40 PM
Wasn't it established that the Beverly Hillbillies were from Arkansas?

They were from a fictional town in northwestern Arkansas called Bugtussle.  Jethro went to school in the town of Oxford, AR.  Your confusion is likely due to Grannie being from Tennessee originally, before her daughter Rose Ellen married Jed–upon which they moved to Arkansas.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Wasn't it established that the Beverly Hillbillies were from Arkansas? I grew up thinking they were from Tennessee.
Maybe they did in the Jim Varney movie? The Wikipedia entries for the TV series and movie just say "the Ozarks."

roadman

Was there ever an attempt to tie in Gomer Pyle to the BH/GA/PJ triad? I also remember there being a fourth show that had a connection, but can't remember what it was.

Gomer Pyle was a spinoff of the Andy Griffith Show, and wouldn't have had any relation to those shows.  I vaguely recall there being a fourth show with a connection to the others (something about Eb's life after leaving the Douglas farm), but that it didn't get much traction due to the CBS "rural purge".

nexus73

Irwin Allen's "Time Tunnel" lasted more than a season but it was a short lived series.  I bought the DVD sets for it.  Included was a pilot of a more modern version that was actually a decent show.  Too bad it was stillborn.

"The Invaders" was another short lived series.  A conclusion to the show was never reached.  The original "Star Trek" could have grown legs but NBC buried it by scheduling the show for 10 PM on Fridays on Season 3.

For those into post-apocalypse shows, "Jericho" was one with a lot of potential.  Fans demanded more so CBS did an abbreviated season to wrap it up.  "The Last Ship" lingered on too long for me though.

Rick

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.