News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: briantroutman on October 01, 2018, 01:15:18 AM
I drove through there last night around 10 p.m. and the tunnel traffic was reduced to one lane in each direction with southbound traffic directed to crossover to the northbound (old, rectangular) tube. I wondered why–and now I know. Thanks for the update. I'll be sure to notice the lighting next time through.

We passed through the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel as they were getting ready to shift all eastbound traffic to the left lane of the normally westbound tube.  A massive amount of manpower and trucks are used to make the change (I do not think I have driven or ridden a "two-way" tunnel on the PTC system since the days when there were two lane undivided tunnels still operating on the Northeast Extension and before that on the East-West Mainline).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: MASTERNC on July 19, 2018, 03:44:08 PM
Interesting.  Just noticed on one of the PA Turnpike website maps that the Willow Hill interchange (Exit 189) is now AET.  They used to have a machine that accepted cash and credit.  Now you scan your ticket and a bill is sent by mail.

https://www.paturnpike.com/toll/cash.aspx

Bumping this conversation up, Google Street View recently drove through and here's what the ticket machines now read (not too much information from it though): https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0941592,-77.8134294,3a,72.6y,84.17h,64.6t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8kiSMUUmPMqtDDsfViWZrw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Flyer78

Quote from: Mr. Matté on October 08, 2018, 04:26:21 PM
Interesting.  Just noticed on one of the PA Turnpike website maps that the Willow Hill interchange (Exit 189) is now AET.  They used to have a machine that accepted cash and credit.  Now you scan your ticket and a bill is sent by mail.

Bumping this conversation up, Google Street View recently drove through and here's what the ticket machines now read (not too much information from it though): https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0941592,-77.8134294,3a,72.6y,84.17h,64.6t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8kiSMUUmPMqtDDsfViWZrw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Looks like they rebuilt one of the self-service machines that were used on the N.E. Extension at Kaiser Rd & Clarks Summit (From 2012: https://goo.gl/maps/RMqs5LPcA7G2)

Since the conversion to AET there, they put plywood over the old machines... You can sort-of see the old LED matrix that was halfway between the upper and lower baskets.

MASTERNC

Quote from: Flyer78 on October 09, 2018, 03:51:44 PM

Looks like they rebuilt one of the self-service machines that were used on the N.E. Extension at Kaiser Rd & Clarks Summit (From 2012: https://goo.gl/maps/RMqs5LPcA7G2)

Since the conversion to AET there, they put plywood over the old machines... You can sort-of see the old LED matrix that was halfway between the upper and lower baskets.

They actually used to be the same machines that were on the Ohio Turnpike.  There is still a video of the machine on the Turnpike website

https://www.paturnpike.com/yourTurnpike/multimedia_presentations.aspx

Roadsguy

Does the PTC plan to remove the toll plazas from the newly-AET sections at some point?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Flyer78

Quote from: MASTERNC on October 09, 2018, 04:53:38 PM
Quote from: Flyer78 on October 09, 2018, 03:51:44 PM

They actually used to be the same machines that were on the Ohio Turnpike.  There is still a video of the machine on the Turnpike website

https://www.paturnpike.com/yourTurnpike/multimedia_presentations.aspx

Thanks for that link, hadn't seen that before. I'm actually impressed the Turnpike is upcycling (for lack of better term).

PHLBOS

Not sure if such was posted before.  PA Turnpike Cashless Tolling (conversion) Overview from May 7, 2018.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

akotchi

^  Thanks.  This is the first I have seen of this schedule.

One note on the timeline . . . is there a future Exit 289 EZPass exit to be constructed (see October 2022 target), or should it say 298?  Does not seem like much out there for such an interchange.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

vdeane

So they're just going to have traffic go slowly through the existing barriers at many spots?  Wow, they're REALLY cheaping out on this!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jemacedo9

Quote from: akotchi on October 10, 2018, 12:56:11 PM

One note on the timeline . . . is there a future Exit 289 EZPass exit to be constructed (see October 2022 target), or should it say 298?  Does not seem like much out there for such an interchange.

I'm hoping that meant Exit 286, as that one IMO should be ORT.

Quote from: vdeane on October 10, 2018, 12:58:56 PM
So they're just going to have traffic go slowly through the existing barriers at many spots?  Wow, they're REALLY cheaping out on this!

Many of the exits west of Carlisle and east of Pittsburgh have other ramp constraints where I'm not sure if there is an immediate advantage to getting rid of the booths.  I am surprised that the Harrisburg exits will retain them, though.

vdeane

There's also other such locations, like the Mon-Fayette.  While some of it has ORT, some of it doesn't.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jemacedo9 on October 10, 2018, 01:05:27 PM

Unless there is a future interchange in the pipeline we're not aware of; one would have to assume that the listing was supposed to be Exit 286 (US 222/PA 272).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadsguy

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 10, 2018, 01:57:05 PM

Unless there is a future interchange in the pipeline we're not aware of; one would have to assume that the listing was supposed to be Exit 286 (US 222/PA 272).

If the eastern section won't use tickets, they'll have to build a new mainline toll plaza, right? It would get an "exit" number just like Warrendale and Neshaminy Falls.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Flyer78

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 10, 2018, 03:41:32 PM
If the eastern section won't use tickets, they'll have to build a new mainline toll plaza, right? It would get an "exit" number just like Warrendale and Neshaminy Falls.

It looks like the both sections will go AET at the same time (Oct 2022), the difference is in some places the existing plazas will stay, whereas the eastern portion will transition to ORT - no tickets either side.

jemacedo9

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 10, 2018, 03:41:32 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on October 10, 2018, 01:57:05 PM

I was thinking that the ramps east of Exit 286 would be converted to gantry points at the same place as the current booths, but that wouldn't work with calculating tolls for non-EZPass users, would it?  Would the software track entry and exit points for every license plate?

So maybe the plan is to build a new mainline toll plaza around MP 289?  Pure speculation on my part...

Roadsguy

Quote from: jemacedo9 on October 10, 2018, 04:09:23 PM
I was thinking that the ramps east of Exit 286 would be converted to gantry points at the same place as the current booths, but that wouldn't work with calculating tolls for non-EZPass users, would it?  Would the software track entry and exit points for every license plate?

So maybe the plan is to build a new mainline toll plaza around MP 289?  Pure speculation on my part...

Read the previous post:

Quote from: Flyer78 on October 10, 2018, 03:51:13 PM
It looks like the both sections will go AET at the same time (Oct 2022), the difference is in some places the existing plazas will stay, whereas the eastern portion will transition to ORT - no tickets either side.

Seems it'll be happening at the same time. 286 or 298 will be the end of the cheaped-out section (toll plazas remaining but all-electronic).

Flyer78

Quote from: jemacedo9 on October 10, 2018, 04:09:23 PM

Effectively, a new ORT gantry at that position would be the equivalent. If someone enters at Harrisburg-East, and drives to Valley Forge, they will go through the toll plaza on entry, then pass whatever ORT gantries are erected.

It will be interesting to see if any free-travel zones are created in the ORT section. Or additional "slip ramp" interchanges, (City of) Norristown comes immediately to mind.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Flyer78 on October 10, 2018, 07:26:33 PMIt will be interesting to see if any free-travel zones are created in the ORT section. Or additional "slip ramp" interchanges, (City of) Norristown comes immediately to mind.
Personally, I would like to see such happen along the I-276 stretch.  At present, many locals avoid using it (for travel between one or two interchanges) due to the high tolls.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 11, 2018, 08:37:05 AM
Quote from: Flyer78 on October 10, 2018, 07:26:33 PMIt will be interesting to see if any free-travel zones are created in the ORT section. Or additional "slip ramp" interchanges, (City of) Norristown comes immediately to mind.
Personally, I would like to see such happen along the I-276 stretch.  At present, many locals avoid using it (for travel between one or two interchanges) due to the high tolls.

I wonder if this is intentional to keep locals from using the toll road for such a short stretch, which would inevitably invite congestion onto the highway and the interchanges.

MASTERNC

The other odd one is they are not converting the Mon-Fayette until 2022, while all the other extension roads will be AET by next year.

Beltway

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 11, 2018, 09:10:59 AM
I wonder if this is intentional to keep locals from using the toll road for such a short stretch, which would inevitably invite congestion onto the highway and the interchanges.

Local travel has always been ineffective due to the wide interchange spacing.  It was built with six interchanges in 40 miles (include the section to Lionville).  Two have been added, PA-29 and the I-95 thru quadrant.  They still have a ways to go before they will have a more adequate interchange spacing.  Adding the Norristown interchange will help.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 11, 2018, 09:10:59 AM

The thing is, one of the reasons why much of it was widened (to six lanes) during the 1980s was to somewhat compensate for the absence of the 10-Mile Loop Expressway.  Such would've acted in the same manner that I-295 in South Jersey does with respect to the NJ Turnpike.  That Expressway was originally planned to be built & completed circa 1985 but was dropped from any further planning circa 1977.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Beltway

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 11, 2018, 11:26:12 AM
The thing is, one of the reasons why much of it was widened (to six lanes) during the 1980s was to somewhat compensate for the absence of the 10-Mile Loop Expressway.  Such would've acted in the same manner that I-295 in South Jersey does with respect to the NJ Turnpike.  That Expressway was originally planned to be built & completed circa 1985 but was dropped from any further planning circa 1977.

The segment between I-476 and PA-309 has grown to beyond 100,000 AADT, and as such has warrants for eight lane (4 each way) widening.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Roadsguy

Quote from: Beltway on October 11, 2018, 03:25:09 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on October 11, 2018, 11:26:12 AM

The segment between I-476 and PA-309 has grown to beyond 100,000 AADT, and as such has warrants for eight lane (4 each way) widening.

Honestly it should be eight lanes at least between Mid-County and Bensalem, perhaps west to Valley Forge (though I doubt they'd be quick to widen it again so soon). It's about time to give it a full-depth reconstruction, too, since the original widening kept the original concrete of the four inner lanes.

Adding more exits may push it further.

PAHighways

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 09, 2018, 05:23:17 PMDoes the PTC plan to remove the toll plazas from the newly-AET sections at some point?

Since tolls are no longer being collected at 576's exits, I would assume they will come down.  The ones for 376 will probably have the canopies removed and replaced with gantries for the tag readers and cameras.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.