News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Name Game

Started by US71, March 15, 2021, 09:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Fayetteville, Arkansas (home of the University of Arkansas) wants to rename one of their streets for former Basketball Coach Nolan Richardson. The proposal is to rename Leroy Pond Dr on the U of A campus. Lt Col. Pond was a local war hero from WWII.  The city still wants to honor Lt Col Pond by renaming another street for him.  Why rename a street then move the name to another street?  :pan:  :pan:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MikieTimT

Quote from: US71 on March 15, 2021, 09:57:12 PM
Fayetteville, Arkansas (home of the University of Arkansas) wants to rename one of their streets for former Basketball Coach Nolan Richardson. The proposal is to rename Leroy Pond Dr on the U of A campus. Lt Col. Pond was a local war hero from WWII.  The city still wants to honor Lt Col Pond by renaming another street for him.  Why rename a street then move the name to another street?  :pan:  :pan:

Because the street is right next to Bud Walton Arena, which during its inaugural year, Coach Richardson, along with the best batch of Razorback basketball players to pass through the school, christened with a national championship.  Not to take anything away from Lt. Col. Pond or his accomplishments, but that street is the most meaningful one to be named after Coach Richardson being where it is.  I'm sure they'll find a suitable street for Leroy Pond, but I pity those who have addresses on it as my mail comes from the same Post Office that serves that area, and let's just say that they have delivery issues even without playing the game of musical street names.

1993-1994 was a magical year for sure to be going to the U of A.  I was in the student section for every home game that year that wasn't during the Christmas Break, and it was deafening.  Not to mention I was hoarse the next couple of days after each game.  Still got all of the programs and ticket stubs from that season.  It would be great if the Hogs pull it off again this year.  It's the first year since 1993-1995 that it really feels like it's possible.

GreenLanternCorps

World War II hero trumps coach.  Rename another street for the coach.

US71

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on March 16, 2021, 09:09:58 AM
World War II hero trumps coach.  Rename another street for the coach.

My sentiments, exactly

US71

The Fayetteville Board of Directors has voted unanimously to rename Leroy Pond Drive to Nolan Richardson Drive.  Leroy Pond Dr will replace Government Ave which leads to the National Cemetery. 

MikieTimT

Quote from: US71 on March 16, 2021, 10:28:44 PM
The Fayetteville Board of Directors has voted unanimously to rename Leroy Pond Drive to Nolan Richardson Drive.  Leroy Pond Dr will replace Government Ave which leads to the National Cemetery.

So it worked out after all.  A street leading to war heroes being renamed after a war hero and a street next to a basketball arena being named after the hero who made it legendary.

One of the very few times I actually agree with Fayetteville's City Council.

The Ghostbuster

Why don't they name Interstate 49 in Rogers and Bentonville the Sam Walton Freeway, or the Walmart Freeway, given that the multinational retail corporation both started there (Rogers), and has its headquarters there (Bentonville)? Heck slap either name on the Interstate all the way from Exit 61 to Exit 93.

US71

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 17, 2021, 05:56:34 PM
Why don't they name Interstate 49 in Rogers and Bentonville the Sam Walton Freeway, or the Walmart Freeway, given that the multinational retail corporation both started there (Rogers), and has its headquarters there (Bentonville)? Heck slap either name on the Interstate all the way from Exit 61 to Exit 93.

It's already named for John Paul Hammerschmidt who was instrumental in securing funding.

kphoger

Quote from: US71 on March 17, 2021, 05:59:08 PM

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 17, 2021, 05:56:34 PM

It's already named for Jon Paul Hammerschmidt who was instrumental in securing funding.

I actually knew that, but only because one of our cable techs once had an installation at Hammerschmidt's house, and she mentioned it to me when she called in on the job.  She said he was the nicest customer she'd ever had.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CtrlAltDel

Pond, Pond, bo-bond, banana-fanna fo-fond, fee-fy-mo-mond, Pond.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

rte66man

Quote from: MikieTimT on March 16, 2021, 08:33:37 AM
Quote from: US71 on March 15, 2021, 09:57:12 PM

Because the street is right next to Bud Walton Arena, which during its inaugural year, Coach Richardson, along with the best batch of Razorback basketball players to pass through the school, christened with a national championship.  Not to take anything away from Lt. Col. Pond or his accomplishments, but that street is the most meaningful one to be named after Coach Richardson being where it is.  I'm sure they'll find a suitable street for Leroy Pond, but I pity those who have addresses on it as my mail comes from the same Post Office that serves that area, and let's just say that they have delivery issues even without playing the game of musical street names.

1993-1994 was a magical year for sure to be going to the U of A.  I was in the student section for every home game that year that wasn't during the Christmas Break, and it was deafening.  Not to mention I was hoarse the next couple of days after each game.  Still got all of the programs and ticket stubs from that season.  It would be great if the Hogs pull it off again this year.  It's the first year since 1993-1995 that it really feels like it's possible.

I used to work for the SID at the University of Tulsa when Nolan was there. They hosted a mini-tournament at the Convention Center one year. I was sitting on the side watching the first game when Nolan sat down next to me. I was going to stay quite but he asked me some questions and the conversation got rolling. He was generous in sharing his hoops knowledge with a young kid just out of college. Never condescending, he struck me as a man who wouldn't be in Tulsa long. He left for the Hogs the next year. Still my favorite hoops coach.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.