News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Cobblestone Centerlines

Started by roadman65, September 19, 2023, 10:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

https://maps.app.goo.gl/MMDKBVWDtggqNdX57
One of the things that always bothered me was when my folks took me on a trip to Asbury Park. We would always pass through Deal, an upscale beach community north of Asbury Park and South of Long Branch and noticed the ugly street light poles, that Deal considered aesthetically appealing to visitors and their raised cobblestone center lines.

According to GSV, only one remains. They finally 86ed the ugly street light posts, but they kept the non MUTCD centerline to this day.

To me this set up looks awful. It looks unnatural and it's the only place along a thoroughfare, I have ever seen, that uses this method to stripe a center line.  Not to mention it doesn't look as upscale as the town really is.

What is your take on the way Ocean Avenue is striped as in the link above?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Based solely on that particular image, it looks nicer than a boring old double yellow painted line.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on September 19, 2023, 10:06:34 AM
non MUTCD centerline

I didn't know this was MUTCD-noncompliant.  To me, it's little different than a very narrow median.  What portion of the MUTCD prohibits this treatment?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Hobart

This sort of reminds me of the Washington State "raised medians" which were pretty much an extremely narrow and low median, painted yellow, between opposing directions of traffic. I can't find any examples on Google Maps right now but they're out there.

I've also seen a source somewhere state they encourage faster driving by creating an illusion of safety; although the median won't actually stop anyone, people see a median, think the road is safer, and then drive faster. I am curious if the cobblestone "striping" causes similar effects.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

roadfro

Yeah, I'd call that a narrow median with cobblestone pavers before I'd call that a centerline. Thus, not an issue governed by MUTCD.

Now, theoretically, you would have yellow lines along those medians... However, I think it's also pretty common to not have that.

EDIT: Added second sentence on first line.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jamess

Quote from: kphoger on September 19, 2023, 11:40:59 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on September 19, 2023, 10:06:34 AM
non MUTCD centerline

I didn't know this was MUTCD-noncompliant.  To me, it's little different than a very narrow median.  What portion of the MUTCD prohibits this treatment?

I also cannot think of a reason this is not allowed by MUTCD

CtrlAltDel

I recall some contention a while back about using more or less decorative elements as the edges of a crosswalk, with one side saying a crosswalk so marked is fine and the other saying it isn't. The MUTCD doesn't accept that sort of thing, at least outside of specific cases, since it states that crosswalk lines must be white among other things.

This situation appears to be similar. Center lines must be yellow and of a certain width, and this isn't any of those, and so, these cobblestones don't represent a center line as such. Now, whether this situation complies with the MUTCD is a bit more complex since, as some have stated, the cobblestones could be a median. That strikes me as a bit of a stretch, but it's probably fine anyway, since the MUTCD doesn't require center lines on roads with one lane in each direction. I don't know, though, if the bike lanes count in that.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: Hobart on September 19, 2023, 11:42:17 AM
This sort of reminds me of the Washington State "raised medians" which were pretty much an extremely narrow and low median, painted yellow, between opposing directions of traffic. I can't find any examples on Google Maps right now but they're out there.

Is this what you're talking about?

Hobart

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on September 20, 2023, 05:12:05 PM
Quote from: Hobart on September 19, 2023, 11:42:17 AM

Is this what you're talking about?

Slightly further up at the left turn, yeah!
https://maps.app.goo.gl/TVfiA5DZ2hbiBAPN6
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.