News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-15 Project Neon in Las Vegas

Started by roadfro, December 10, 2013, 12:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

Looks like final paving has begun. This project should be mostly wrapped up in the coming weeks with the exception of punch list items.

TBH, the more and more I think about it the more I wish they would have kept the express lanes(two in each direction) and added a GP lane or two in each direction. We'll see how everything plays out. I'm slowly turning in favor of managed lanes over HOV lanes which seem to how evidence against them of them causing more traffic with weaving.

roadfro

A welcome article for many Vegas-area residents!

Project Neon's orange barrels to be removed from Las Vegas freeways, Las Vegas Review-Journal, 6/24/2019
After three years of cluttering the side of both Interstate 15 and U.S. Highway 95 during Project Neon, the army of orange safety barrels will soon make their exit.

The 4,500 polyethylene barrels associated with Project Neon, the nearly $1 billion 4-mile widening of I-15 between Sahara Avenue and the Spaghetti Bowl, will be removed from the roadways next week, according to Tony Illia, spokesman for the Nevada Department of Transportation.

"Since we still have nightly closures on I-15 for various items, we will still be taking nighttime lane closures in several areas this week and next,"  Illia said. "We will have all barrels removed from I-15 medians and shoulders by July 1."

With recent paving finished, Project Neon stands at 96% complete. I'm guessing most of the remaining activity is landscape/aesthetics and various punch list items.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadfro

The title of this article speaks for itself

Project Neon, now officially done, goes out with a bang in Las Vegas, Las Vegas Review-Journal[/], 8/8/2019
After more than three years of road closures, lane shifts and traffic jams, the $1 billion Project Neon is officially over.

The Nevada Department of Transportation celebrated Thursday with entertainment, refreshments and dignitaries at a "grand finale"  event concluding the largest public works project in state history.

While Project Neon was anything but a party to motorists, it created new access points in downtown Las Vegas and added a much-talked about high-occupancy vehicle lane system.

The one remaining piece is getting all the new traffic management signs functioning.
The dynamic messaging signs allow for traffic flow control, real time speed limit sign changing and more. The signs are still not in service as testing is about to get underway. The signs must run glitch-free for 60 straight days, according to Transportation Department spokesman Tony Illia. It's expected the system will be fully operational in October, [if] testing goes as planned.

The Active Traffic Management signs are posted all throughout the I-15 corridor, but also in all directions around the Spaghetti Bowl. These will include Nevada's first foray into dynamic speed limits.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Sub-Urbanite

There's a sign on NB I-15 in here that I found absolutely absurd.

Something like:

NV 159 (shield)
Charleston Blvd
Grand Central Pkwy
Alta Dr / Bonneville Rd

It was a lot of words for one BGS.

roadfro

Yeah. While all text on that sign other than "Charleston Blvd" is smaller size than normal, it is still a big amount of text. The rest should have been on a supplemental roadside sign.

The signage along the same off ramp is surprisingly subpar as well.

Henry

I think it's great that they finished the while thing one year ahead of schedule!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.