News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Oregon

Started by Hurricane Rex, December 12, 2017, 06:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: nexus73 on September 04, 2019, 12:44:29 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 04, 2019, 12:25:49 AM
Just got back from my first of two visits to Oregon this most.  The first trip was center around the northern part of the State which gave me an opportunity to grab a ton of photos and get some road observations:

Portland Area

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmGEnQyB

-  I got around to a lot of the city and at least had a visual on almost every bridge near downtown on the Willamette River.  In particular I really liked the Vista Bridge and Vista Ridge Tunnels.  I did cross the Steel Bridge and Marquam Bridge by car.  I liked the VMS signage on all the major freeways which showed the travel times, I kind of wish that there was more of that in California (the only place I've seen it was in the Bay Area).  I did end up driving portions of; I-5, I-84, I-205, US 26, US 30, I-405, OR 99W, OR 99E and OR 217 while in Portland.  I'll refrain from talking on the 50-55 MPH freeway speed limits, I think the stance on that being a negative in most instances is close to universal at this point.

US 26 Sunset Highway

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmGF6Ds9

-  The first big drive out of Portland was on US 26 west out of downtown Portland to US 101 on the Sunset Highway.  As noted above the Vista Ridge Tunnels are a nice feature that adds to the scenery.  I thought US 26 was pretty well managed west of the Portland Area which worked out despite it being labor day weekend.  I get the sense there is probably a lot of interesting alignment history to dig into with the Sunset Highway.

US 101 north Cannon Beach over the Washington State Line

-  I did check out the original alignment of US 101 in Cannon Beach while stopping at the namesake beach.  I headed north through Seaside which was an awful bottleneck in traffic and through Astoria over the Astoria Bridge into Washington briefly.  I've been wanting to cross the Astoria Bridge for quite some time which I'm glad to have finally gotten off my to-do list.

US 30/Columbia River Highway from Astoria to Portland

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmGGxoEo

-  I didn't want to double back to US 26 so I opted for US 30 on the Columbia River Highway instead.  While certainly not as scenic as the portion of the older Columbia River Highway in the Columbia River Gorge I wasn't disappointed by the route between Astoria and Portland.  The speed limits on US 30 for most part (especially when it expands to four lanes) could really use a boost, but that's par for the course in Oregon. 

Historic Columbia River Highway/Old US 30

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmGGtqod

-  I was able to sneak in a portion of the Historic Columbia River Highway/Old US 30 from Lewis & Clark State Recreation Site east to Bridal Veil Road.  Obviously the overlook at Crown Point at the Vista House is the name attraction since it overlooks the Columbia River Gorge.  From what I had a chance to drive and explore I was really impressed what the older route of US 30 had to offer.  I'm to understand that the Historic Columbia River Highway carries the hidden designation of OR 100, does anyone have anything to back that up aside from a Wikipedia page citation?

Were you able to see the metro expressway sections of 99E?  The one by Milwaukie is rather scenic when it goes through a corridor of trees.  On the north end of 99E you get a great look at how old expressways were designed.  Alas, once the light rail was put in on what used to be 99W in north Portland, the character of this highway changed completely.

For more vista views, going to the west side of Mt. Tabor on a clear day lets one see the contrast between nature (the West Hills) and the works of man (downtown, bridges).  Nature's massiveness really comes through.  You also get the "sea of trees" effect from the residential neighborhood below this now extinct volcano, the only one in any American city.

Gotta love the Vista House view.  The only way to see the Gorge better is to fly on a plane.  If you go back to PDX, take Washington SR 14 and find the tall (800 feet) large rock spire to climb.  Looking down you will see the large power towers getting shrunk by the altitude.  I climbed the trail on this rock back in 1973 or 1974.  Not up for it today though...LOL!

Seaside is a congested mess.  ODOT offered to build a bypass years ago.  Seaside turned it down.  Bad move!

Glad you got to see what Astoria looks like from the other side of the Columbia.  Had you continued exploring the SW Washington coast, you would have been amazed at the amount of development present.  The map makes one think there is not much there.  I could not believe how set up that area is!  Of course it will all be colored gone when the Big One hits.

Rick

I actually was on very little of 99E, I mainly used it as a short cut to get out of downtown eastward.

Speaking of views I did make it up to Rocky Butte near the junction of I-205/I-84.  There was some really decent views of the Glenn L. Jackson Memorial Bridge on I-205 but we were there more for the view of Mount Hood.  The Tunnel on Rocky Butte Road was a nice surprise given it is part of a 360 circle.

For what its worth I'd really like to try the entire Historic Columbia River Highway east to The Dalles the next time I'm in the area.  Aside from scenic route there was a lot of stuff that I like such as hiking and viewing old infrastructure like the Oneonta Tunnel.

Seaside was probably the least favorite placed we stopped at.  The community had that "Pismo Beach" feel to it which isn't exactly what any of us wanted.  Parking was a pain in the ass and it was obviously crowded given it was a holiday weekend.  At least you could find space to be somewhat alone in Cannon Beach and Astoria just seemed chilled out in general.  Astoria was of interest for me given that I wanted to see the older terminus point for US 30 in downtown.  We did manage a couple photos of the Goonies House from a distance (which wasn't my idea).

nexus73

Next time to see Mt. Hood, take US 26 to the Depression-era massive in size Timberline Lodge.  Might as well see the mountain up close and personal!  Besides, you get your chance to see the Boring Oregon City BGS...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: nexus73 on September 04, 2019, 11:19:16 PM
Next time to see Mt. Hood, take US 26 to the Depression-era massive in size Timberline Lodge.  Might as well see the mountain up close and personal!  Besides, you get your chance to see the Boring Oregon City BGS...LOL!

Rick

Either way it will be hard to beat my photo from 2018 when I fly by:

0 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

I would like to track down parts of the Barlow Road, hiking Lolo Pass (just off screen in the power line track above) sounds like something up my alley.

nexus73

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 05, 2019, 12:04:33 AM
Quote from: nexus73 on September 04, 2019, 11:19:16 PM

Rick

Either way it will be hard to beat my photo from 2018 when I fly by:

0 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

I would like to track down parts of the Barlow Road, hiking Lolo Pass (just off screen in the power line track above) sounds like something up my alley.

Being two miles away is a superlative view too.  Once you see it you will know why so many people die trying to climb the mountain.  It looks so easy when you are at the lodge!  Those looks are deceiving.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Dougtone

Come check out the Gallon House Bridge, Oregon's oldest covered bridge in continuous use. The name has quite the history attached to it...
https://www.gribblenation.org/2019/10/gallon-house-bridge.html

Max Rockatansky

I found a 1915 promotional guide by the Portland Chamber of Commerce regarding the Columbia River Highway.  Suffice to say the historic photos of the Columbia River Highway in the 1910s make it a worthwhile document to look at:

https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~299051~90070118:Columbia-Highway-America-s-Premier-?sort=Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No&qvq=q:oregon%20highway;sort:Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No;lc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=10&trs=28

bing101

Oregon DOT is in the process of renovating the I-105 Bridge.

nexus73

Quote from: bing101 on December 24, 2019, 04:14:48 PM

Oregon DOT is in the process of renovating the I-105 Bridge.

Do you know when the bridge project will be completed?

Rick

Dougtone

I had the opportunity to take US 20 across the High Desert in Central and Eastern Oregon. Here's my take on the highway.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/01/us-20-through-oregons-high-desert.html

nexus73

Last summer saw my best friend and I take both US 20 and US 26 in eastern Oregon.  The winner for Best Highway went to US 26.  Better scenery and more variety plus Burns sucks rutabagas for places to eat while John Day surprisingly excelled in that department.

Rick

Dougtone

Quote from: nexus73 on January 20, 2020, 10:41:27 PM
Last summer saw my best friend and I take both US 20 and US 26 in eastern Oregon.  The winner for Best Highway went to US 26.  Better scenery and more variety plus Burns sucks rutabagas for places to eat while John Day surprisingly excelled in that department.

Rick

I took US 26 across central and eastern Oregon years ago and remember it being a scenic drive. There wasn't much for places to eat in Burns or Hines (I made a rare-for-me stop at McDonald's in Hines), so I may have to agree with that sentiment. Still, US 20 in eastern Oregon has its charm, and for me being from the Northeast, it's an interesting change of pace.

ClassicHasClass

Rick

As someone approaching those towns from US 395, I actually thought there was a little more in Burns, personally (and I've spent the night there several times). As it happens we ended up eating at DQ in both of them though :)

For scenery, yes, US 26 is unquestionably better. US 20 from Bend to Burns can be rather dreary.

nexus73

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on January 21, 2020, 03:03:32 PM

Rick

As someone approaching those towns from US 395, I actually thought there was a little more in Burns, personally (and I've spent the night there several times). As it happens we ended up eating at DQ in both of them though :)

For scenery, yes, US 26 is unquestionably better. US 20 from Bend to Burns can be rather dreary.

There was a pair of nice upscale restaurants in John Day.  That is two more than I expected!  Also as a surprise, the one my friend and I ate at had catfish on the menu.  How often does one see that anywhere in Oregon?

Burns is a foodie desert in the High Desert in comparison.  DQ does not count as good fare in my book.

Rick

Alps

Quote from: nexus73 on January 21, 2020, 10:09:31 PM

Rick

There was a pair of nice upscale restaurants in John Day.  That is two more than I expected!  Also as a surprise, the one my friend and I ate at had catfish on the menu.  How often does one see that anywhere in Oregon?

Burns is a foodie desert in the High Desert in comparison.  DQ does not count as good fare in my book.

Rick
https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=restaurant&find_loc=burns%2C+oregon&ns=1
would suggest that you just weren't looking hard enough.

Dougtone

The Short Covered Bridge in Foster, Oregon is anything but short, plus you can drive across it, or to it from US 20.
https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/01/short-covered-bridge.html

nexus73

Quote from: Alps on January 22, 2020, 01:03:20 AM

Rick

Rick

Better than Yelp is doing what my friend and I did.  We asked the locals and looked over the town to see what was available.  It turned out to not be much.

Rick

Alps

Quote from: nexus73 on January 23, 2020, 10:33:22 PM

Rick

Rick

Better than Yelp is doing what my friend and I did.  We asked the locals and looked over the town to see what was available.  It turned out to not be much.

Rick
I would try any number of those local places that aren't chains.

nexus73

Quote from: Alps on January 24, 2020, 12:05:31 AM
Quote from: nexus73 on January 23, 2020, 10:33:22 PM

Rick

Rick

Rick
I would try any number of those local places that aren't chains.

We avoid chains. 

Rick

Alps

You've inspired me. I've made sure that my upcoming California trip will include a night in Burns and I'll see what I find to eat.

corco

Burns sucks though - I've been to the Pine Room and it was fully adequate middle of nowhere food. John Day is way better

Rothman

Quote from: corco on February 04, 2020, 06:17:19 PM
Burns sucks though - I've been to the Pine Room and it was fully adequate middle of nowhere food. John Day is way better
My parents recently volunteered at the Malheur Refuge and were suprised how many locals were angry with the armed takeover.  They liked Burns.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

corco

Quote from: Rothman on February 04, 2020, 07:38:01 PM
My parents recently volunteered at the Malheur Refuge and were suprised how many locals were angry with the armed takeover.  They liked Burns.

Interesting - at a random bar in Burns a couple years ago that was exactly the opposite of my experience

Rothman

Quote from: corco on February 04, 2020, 09:14:38 PM

Interesting - at a random bar in Burns a couple years ago that was exactly the opposite of my experience
Interesting indeed, as my parents were there for months rather than a single bar experience.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

Quote from: Rothman on February 04, 2020, 09:16:45 PM

Interesting indeed, as my parents were there for months rather than a single bar experience.

someone with enough experience at pub-crawling can learn the entire story of a city in just one night. At the other end of the spectrum, you can live as a hermit for twenty years.

Rothman

Quote from: jakeroot on February 05, 2020, 12:48:25 AM
Quote from: Rothman on February 04, 2020, 09:16:45 PM

someone with enough experience at pub-crawling can learn the entire story of a city in just one night. At the other end of the spectrum, you can live as a hermit for twenty years.

Meh, not sure about the former (can't think of any place I've lived in where one bar would provide representative of the community -- in fact, more examples to the opposite come to mind), but regarding the latter, my parents weren't hermits and attended various community functions (of which there were more than you'd think in that dinky place).  It seemed to be a lively little town from their description.

No town is monolithic, either, however small.  From their observations, they were just surprised by the prevalent negative attitudes towards Ammon Bundy, given the stereotypes one associates with rural western towns.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.