News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Interstate 73/74

Started by Voyager, January 18, 2009, 08:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wdcrft63

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 07, 2019, 02:27:26 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on December 07, 2019, 01:59:27 PM
Or maybe it'll just become another Greensboro.

They build the whole beltway with continuity for I-74 and then decide two weeks later to reroute I-74 through the city, leaving a three-lane eastbound left exit onto the beltway? :spin:
No chance I-74 will be routed through downtown. NCDOT has permission to sign US 52 between I-74 and I-40 as I-285, so technically the exit is really a fork of two interstates.

Roadsguy

Quote from: mvak36 on December 07, 2019, 03:55:19 PM
I found the Letting page for that project.

Under Supporting Documents, I found this pdf. It looks like 74 will be the through route.

As you later said that you noticed, this is the version from 2015 that I mentioned. This may well be the design settled on if it was on the letting page as well and not the undated design favoring 52 (it's a design-build contract, so what's there isn't the final design like the ones here).

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 07, 2019, 04:05:11 PM
Apparently NCDOT thinks I-73 is coming up this way.

Under the typical section, it says "WINSTON-SALEM - NORTHERN BELTWAY AND I-73/74"

Interesting also how that is a public meeting map from 2015, when in 2016 they showed a new design with continuity for US-52. Maybe someone with sanity say hey, let's not do that.

I recall reading that the I-73 corridor was originally planned to stay concurrent with I-74 all the way into West Virginia before being pulled away to go to Greensboro, Roanoke, and Blacksburg, though I don't know if I-74 was planned to use the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway yet at that point. With how long it takes for everyone at NCDOT to notice route changes in publications, perhaps this is just an old holdover that stuck around in just this one spot.

The project website indicated the other design without a date on it as being posted to the site in 2016, but I wasn't sure if that was when those plans first appeared. If it was, then it's likely what's being built. I'm trying to get a hold of the final plans using a public records request, which I've already successfully done for the Greenville Southwest Bypass project, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. I would think it's all available since I've been under the impression that the entire eastern loop north of the soon-to-be-former Business 40 is now in various stages of construction.

Quote from: wdcrft63 on December 07, 2019, 06:25:13 PM
No chance I-74 will be routed through downtown. NCDOT has permission to sign US 52 between I-74 and I-40 as I-285, so technically the exit is really a fork of two interstates.

I was joking about how quickly and frequently the routes around the south side of Greensboro changed, with the two splits between I-40 and the loop clearly designed to carry I-40 onto the loop. I think I-74 was originally intended to run through the city on Business 40 and US 52, but I'm well aware that this hasn't been the case for a while.

Also, it's only approved as Future I-285, as is Future I-274. I don't know if they'd need to get it reapproved to actually be signed as the final Interstate once it's upgraded or if they can just do it right away then.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

bob7374

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 07, 2019, 09:05:29 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on December 07, 2019, 03:55:19 PM
I found the Letting page for that project.

Under Supporting Documents, I found this pdf. It looks like 74 will be the through route.

As you later said that you noticed, this is the version from 2015 that I mentioned. This may well be the design settled on if it was on the letting page as well and not the undated design favoring 52 (it's a design-build contract, so what's there isn't the final design like the ones here).

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 07, 2019, 04:05:11 PM
Apparently NCDOT thinks I-73 is coming up this way.

Under the typical section, it says "WINSTON-SALEM - NORTHERN BELTWAY AND I-73/74"

Interesting also how that is a public meeting map from 2015, when in 2016 they showed a new design with continuity for US-52. Maybe someone with sanity say hey, let's not do that.

I recall reading that the I-73 corridor was originally planned to stay concurrent with I-74 all the way into West Virginia before being pulled away to go to Greensboro, Roanoke, and Blacksburg, though I don't know if I-74 was planned to use the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway yet at that point. With how long it takes for everyone at NCDOT to notice route changes in publications, perhaps this is just an old holdover that stuck around in just this one spot.

Quote from: wdcrft63 on December 07, 2019, 06:25:13 PM

I was joking about how quickly and frequently the routes around the south side of Greensboro changed, with the two splits between I-40 and the loop clearly designed to carry I-40 onto the loop. I think I-74 was originally intended to run through the city on Business 40 and US 52, but I'm well aware that this hasn't been the case for a while.

Also, it's only approved as Future I-285, as is Future I-274. I don't know if they'd need to get it reapproved to actually be signed as the final Interstate once it's upgraded or if they can just do it right away then.
They would have to have FHWA confirm that the new road is up to interstate standards before it could be signed and also send another application to AASHTO with the FHWA confirmation.

I-74 was always to be routed around downtown Winston-Salem. When NCDOT applied for original I-73 and I-74 signage in 1997 they asked AASHTO to approve that US 52 be signed as I-74 from Mount Airy to where the Beltway would split off and US 52 south of that point to I-40 be signed as 'Temporary I-74.' AASHTO disapproved of the I-74 signing because the FHWA said US 52 was too substandard a roadway and rejected the temporary label because they no longer issued that designation. They suggested NCDOT could sign US 52 as 'To I-74' instead. Apparently NCDOT wasn't interested in putting up To I-74 shields all the way along US 52, so it just got a few 'Future I-74 Corridor' signs. I suspect NCDOT will ask once again that US 52 get designated I-74 after the Beltway is finished. Several projects over the past 20 years have improved some of the interchanges and bridges and shoulders, at least for much of the Forsyth County portion, now meet or are close to interstate standards. They should at least change the exit numbers to match I-74's at that time.

Roadsguy

Quote from: bob7374 on December 08, 2019, 11:43:07 PM
I-74 was always to be routed around downtown Winston-Salem.

So was the originally planned extension of what's now I-74 from the stub at I-40 north to Business 40 just supposed to be US 311? I always figured that was part of the originally planned I-74 routing before they changed it.

Come to think of it, I know that project was downgraded to just a surface parkway at some point, but is that still active or has everyone just kinda forgotten about it? It seems to have met the same fate as the short NC 147 extension to McCrimmon Parkway of being occasionally mentioned as a future proposal but never actually getting done.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

tolbs17

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 09, 2019, 06:58:52 AM
Quote from: bob7374 on December 08, 2019, 11:43:07 PM
I-74 was always to be routed around downtown Winston-Salem.

So was the originally planned extension of what's now I-74 from the stub at I-40 north to Business 40 just supposed to be US 311? I always figured that was part of the originally planned I-74 routing before they changed it.

Come to think of it, I know that project was downgraded to just a surface parkway at some point, but is that still active or has everyone just kinda forgotten about it? It seems to have met the same fate as the short NC 147 extension to McCrimmon Parkway of being occasionally mentioned as a future proposal but never actually getting done.
http://prntscr.com/q8gm8l

I'm sure you're talking about this. And it looks like that plan is off the table atm.

LM117

Overnight ramp closures on US-52 in Winston-Salem this week due to the Northern Beltway project.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-12-16-us-52-overnight-closures.aspx
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Roadsguy

I finally heard back with the signing plans for U-2579DEF (unfortunately just the middle section, not the interchange with 52), and found some notable things:

Westbound approaching NC 66: mention of a future sign for the US 52 interchange, notably featuring shields for both I-274 and I-285. This is obviously only going to be the final configuration of the sign, since I imagine the western loop would be finished (at least in part) before US 52 is upgraded to Interstate standards through downtown Winston-Salem. Interestingly the only control city here is Winston-Salem for I-285/US 52 southbound, with I-274 not getting one of its own, at least not at this early point. You can also see that I-274 is being signed east-west despite running north-south, because NCDOT.

The eastbound signs approaching the US 311 interchange are designed for an overlay of the word NORTH next to the US 311 shields. Westbound, where signs will already have been put up without such accommodation, an overlay will be placed over the entire shield. Additionally, the trailblazers for southbound 311 on the off-ramps feature notes for future removal. No future END marker is indicated southbound on 311, but it seems that NCDOT plans to truncate 311 again, this time to the Northern Beltway, likely after the entire eastern section is completed.

Aside from these, the rest of the plans are fairly standard. The whole section will of course be signed NC 74 for now, and the section stops at NC 66.

sprjus4

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 20, 2019, 12:14:45 PM
not the interchange with 52
I contacted them last week in regards to that through NCDOT's Public Records Request system, and was told that the signage plans are currently not available. They were not posted in their usual spot on https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/dsplan/ either, so I don't know.

Roadsguy

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 20, 2019, 04:24:03 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on December 20, 2019, 12:14:45 PM
not the interchange with 52
I contacted them last week in regards to that through NCDOT's Public Records Request system, and was told that the signage plans are currently not available. They were not posted in their usual spot on https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/dsplan/ either, so I don't know.

That's because it was a design-build contract, and plans for those aren't posted there like normal contracts when they go out to bid because final design is done after bidding. I could've sworn that R-2247EB (the 52 interchange) had started construction, but apparently only R-2247EC has started, which is the US 52/NC 65 interchange seen as under construction in the latest Google imagery. It was definitely let, though, so I'll check back in a few months when I'm sure that construction has started.

U-2579D/E/F (the middle section from NC 66 to US 311, let as one combined contract) was also a design-build, but construction is well underway, so the plans were available when I asked. I also sent the plans to Bob Malme at his request, so you'll see more of them on his site soon.

tolbs17

Does anyone have a recent picture of I-74 (Winston-Salem Northern Beltway)? I'm very curious to see the signage from I-74 east to I-40 BUS East. I wonder if it would say Kenersville / Greensboro, Raleigh, or just Kenersville. Also I find it interesting that the part from I-40 BUS to I-74 (The northern beltway south end) would only be 4 lanes.

Also, when looking at these interchanges,

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/wsnb/Documents/eastern-section-5.pdf

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/wsnb/Documents/eastern-section-6-map-1.pdf

I'm surprised that I-40 BUS East and I-40 East both have a flyover from I-74 East. Probably because it's to get people to use the little bypass of Kenersville so they are trying to get more people to use I-40 East and not I-40 BUS east.

So in that case, The flyover would probably right now say Kenersville, Greensboro, Raleigh, and in the future when the southern part to I-74 opens, that sign would be changed to just say Kenersville.

I-40 would be widened to six lanes or 8 lanes and I-40 Bus to 6 lanes.

When looking at this overpasses, I don't know if it can be widened to 8 lanes since the bridges are too small. I don't know if it even can be widened to 6 lanes! Unless they would replace the sloping southbound bridge (Union Cross Rd).

For I-40 BUS, when looking at this, It looks like it can be widened to 8 lanes easily! but 6 lanes is enough unless the far right lane would be an exit lane.

sprjus4

Interim and ultimate sign design at the I-74 / US-421 (former I-40 Business) interchange -

http://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i74seg4.html#signplans

tolbs17

^^^^

Would Raleigh be added in there too or would it just say Greensboro? and like I said before I'm pretty sure it would say Greensboro first before saying Kenersville (If they even plan to do it).

Because look over here. It says Kenersville and Greensboro is on the main I-40.

link

ARMOURERERIC

Plus we now know that Buzz 40 is being eliminated from that route.

tolbs17

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on December 26, 2019, 05:12:06 PM
What interstate would that be? Would I-40 be moved on there? I-42? I-640? That would be interesting... Haha

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 26, 2019, 05:16:09 PM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on December 26, 2019, 05:12:06 PM
What interstate would that be? Would I-40 be moved on there? I-42? I-640? That would be interesting... Haha
Business 40 is going, it will become the US-421 Salem Parkway... no interstate designation.

bob7374

No word yet on when the first section of the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway between Business 40/US 421 and US 158 will be open. Articles from the summer indicated it could be open by the end of the year, but given that that's 4 days away and no mention in the media, this does not appear to be the case. I found an aerial video produced by NCDOT from back in August at the link below that shows a lot of work still needed to be completed along the route. How much progress has been made since I guess will determine an opening date:
https://www.ruralhall.com/northern-beltway-progress/

bob7374

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 26, 2019, 04:00:15 PM
Interim and ultimate sign design at the I-74 / US-421 (former I-40 Business) interchange -

http://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i74seg4.html#signplans
A more recent future sign plan, with the removal of Business 40:

bob7374

Some good I-74 news from the recent version of NCDOT's Suspended Project list. The project reconfiguring the NC 130/NC 72 intersection into an interchange in Robeson County has been taken off the list, with preliminary engineering to start in January. Same for the US 74/76 intersection to interchange projects east of Whiteville in Columbus County. Projects for upgrading US 74 to interstate standards between Hamlet and Laurinburg and from NC 41 to US 76, however, are still in the list with a note saying they are not likely to be started for the first 5 years of the current STIP or until 2025.

bob7374

I have completed my annual review of I-73/I-74 and other NC Future Interstates happenings for 2019. To the blog:
http://www.gribblenation.org/2020/01/i-73i-74-and-nc-future-interstates-year.html

LM117

Regarding the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway, there are upcoming traffic shifts on US-52 due to bridge work.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-01-03-us-52-overnight-closures-rural-hall.aspx

Roadsguy

Quote from: LM117 on January 03, 2020, 01:54:12 PM
Regarding the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway, there are upcoming traffic shifts on US-52 due to bridge work.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-01-03-us-52-overnight-closures-rural-hall.aspx

I know the new SB exit from US 52 to NC 65 is open, but has the corresponding on-ramp loop opened yet, or is traffic still using the original diamond ramp?

LM117

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 03, 2020, 03:01:00 PM
Quote from: LM117 on January 03, 2020, 01:54:12 PM

I know the new SB exit from US 52 to NC 65 is open, but has the corresponding on-ramp loop opened yet, or is traffic still using the original diamond ramp?

I'm not sure. :hmm: Somebody else will have to chime in.

ushighway421

so, once i-73/74 is complete from greensboro thru us 74 in rockingham, no one will need us-220 South from i-40 anymore, so whats Ncdot most likely to do with the old designation?

will they truncate it to start in greensboro and go north,
(and possibly rename existing 220 south as a new  state hwy, (e.g. nc "374" south to asheboro)  ),

or

more easily, turn randleman road and alt 220, back into us 220 south again as they once were, to make an alternate route, like burlington road (us 70) does for i-40/85?

bob7374

Quote from: ushighway421 on January 05, 2020, 06:03:22 PM
so, once i-73/74 is complete from greensboro thru us 74 in rockingham, no one will need us-220 South from i-40 anymore, so whats Ncdot most likely to do with the old designation?

will they truncate it to start in greensboro and go north,
(and possibly rename existing 220 south as a new  state hwy, (e.g. nc "374" south to asheboro)  ),

or

more easily, turn randleman road and alt 220, back into us 220 south again as they once were, to make an alternate route, like burlington road (us 70) does for i-40/85?
It doesn't appear NCDOT wants US 220 to disappear anytime soon, since they took it off of I-73/I-74 between Exits 41 and 25 when the interstate was officially signed in 2013. The sign plans for the I-73/I-74 Rockingham Bypass have US 220 leaving the interstate at the at the start of the Bypass and using its current path to US 1. There was talk about a dozen years ago of having US 220 use the bypass around Rockingham and having the current route signed as Business Loop 74, but NCDOT apparently has changed its mind.

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-02-07-us-421-lane-closures-forsyth-beltway.aspx

QuoteKERNERSVILLE — State transportation contractors plan to close lanes of U.S. 421 overnight this weekend to begin installing an overhead sign in eastern Forsyth County.

The inside lanes of the highway are scheduled to be closed in both directions between South Main Street in Kernersville (Exit 224) and Linville Road (Exit 228) from 8 p.m. Friday until 11 a.m. Saturday.

The closures are needed for the crews to safely construct a median footing for the sign.

Drivers should slow down when approaching this stretch of U.S. 421 and be mindful of the crews at work.

This is part of ongoing work on the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway​ project.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.