News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Pelican Institute study recommends the T-word

Started by jbnv, March 26, 2019, 12:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnv

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

The Ghostbuster

I agree with the report. Louisiana probably should consider using tolls (the horror!) to pay for road improvements. Does anyone believe managed toll lanes could be implemented in the New Orleans and Baton Rouge areas without too much right-of-way relocations?

Anthony_JK

Four words: HELL. TO. THE. NO.

We all know that dropping "managed lanes" on I-10 and I-12 will be a precursor to full out tolling of the entire system for no other reason than allowing outside companies to profit off Louisiana's public infrastructure. This is how we got here to begin with.

Secondly, we all know what happened to I-69 Segment 5 in Indiana and the I-69 Trans Texas Corridor, right?

And also: check the author of this study: Lawerence O'Toole of the Reason Institute, who never met a public road he wouldn't privatize for profit.

Naah, I don't think so. Public roads are PUBLIC roads and should be funded publically. Raise the gas tax and index it to inflation. Do another TIMED tax dedicated to actual projects (I-49 South, ICC, widening I-10/I-20/I-12, planning for I-14/US 165 freeway). Maybe build selected toll projects (LRX, Baton Rouge loop, LA 1). But absolutely DO NOT CONVERT public freeways into toll roads.

sparker

^^^^^^^^^
This is a "consider the source" situation.  The Reason Foundation is a quasi-libertarian policy group that has long advocated for substituting direct user fees for general taxation; their efforts go back several decades, and additionally advocate privatization of numerous public-sector functions (including education and some provision of services).  They're a bit "Ayn Randian" in their approach to public vs. private supplication.   And since tolls are in fact direct user fees as opposed to the usual transportation funding mechanism of fuel (and occasionally vehicular) taxation, that group would naturally favor that approach.  In short -- their "study" hardly emerges from a neutral standpoint. 

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Brian556

TxDOT has admitted that HOV lanes were a failure, and a waste of space.

From what I can see, the exact same thing can be said for toll lanes. They are very lightly utilized even when main lanes are very congested. The only way to relieve congestion is to make all lanes free. Just raise than dang gas tax. Or iust stop giving away our hard-earned taxpayer money to foreign countries, and spend it on roads instead

RoadPelican

Quote from: Brian556 on March 29, 2019, 01:35:59 AM

From what I can see, the exact same thing can be said for toll lanes. They are very lightly utilized even when main lanes are very congested. The only way to relieve congestion is to make all lanes free. Just raise than dang gas tax. Or iust stop giving away our hard-earned taxpayer money to foreign countries, and spend it on roads instead

I agree with you about toll lanes, but raising the gas tax is like dumping more sand into a bucket with holes on the bottom.  It's a short term band-aid at best.  The best thing to do would be to raise vehicle registration fees or vehicle property taxes.  Also, increased sales taxes on dining out and amusements could work too, that's how Myrtle Beach pays for most of it's roads.

brownpelican

I say raise the gas tax AND registration/vehicle taxes. No to bumping sales taxes.

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

brownpelican

However, I am okay with another TIMED scheme.

oscar

Quote from: RoadPelican on March 29, 2019, 10:50:58 AM
Also, increased sales taxes on dining out and amusements could work too, that's how Myrtle Beach pays for most of it's roads.

That's Myrtle Beach's way of socking it to tourists, while leaving local residents (and voters) largely unaffected. Less attractive option for non-tourist trap communities.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

vdeane

Quote from: RoadPelican on March 29, 2019, 10:50:58 AM
Quote from: Brian556 on March 29, 2019, 01:35:59 AM

I agree with you about toll lanes, but raising the gas tax is like dumping more sand into a bucket with holes on the bottom.  It's a short term band-aid at best.  The best thing to do would be to raise vehicle registration fees or vehicle property taxes.  Also, increased sales taxes on dining out and amusements could work too, that's how Myrtle Beach pays for most of it's roads.
Vehicle property taxes?  Yeesh.  Fortunately we don't have those in NY, and I'm not directly exposed to regular property taxes because I rent.  Taxes on simply owning something (rather than income or consumption) are evil.

I see no problem with raising gas taxes.  The majority of the problems on that front are due to inflation and construction cost increases, contrary to what mileage tax/tolling proponents claim.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: brownpelican on March 29, 2019, 11:34:27 AM
I say raise the gas tax AND registration/vehicle taxes. No to bumping sales taxes.

Here in Quebec, we got the highest gas taxes and registration/vehicule taxes and the shape of our roads here....let's wish all of that money will go to roads and not diverted elsehwere, like our local bureaucrats did for years....

brownpelican

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.