News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What happened to the "angry rant?"

Started by hbelkins, December 06, 2019, 11:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

So, where's the "angry rant" referenced here?

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=26050.msg2460997#msg2460997

When I clicked the link, https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=26049.0, I got a "not available" message.

Looks like I missed something good.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ozarkman417

I was asking myself the same question. I had a feeling it would be deleted, so I took a screenshot of the rant before it disappeared. The next question is: who deleted the rant? It probably wasn't Scott, as he moved the rant to the correct board and admitted he got a chuckle out of it. I was going to recommend that tolbs17 (the author) change the title to "angry rant about NCDOT", but it was gone before I could do so.

tolbs17

Some administrator deleted it. I think it was rickmastfan (or Alps) that removed it. The reason probably is because that it was too aggressive and they probably didn't want that thread to turn into a fighting thread where it would cause attacks like sprjus4 and beltway for example, and I'm sure more members too.

I think that was a pretty good rant. I love making rant threads about roads, delayed projects, construction, budget issues, and more.

kphoger

The OP stated that he would cancel the post if leadership determined it was inappropriate.  Considering the amount of profanity used for no apparent reason other than to let us all know how mad he was, I suspect that happened.  Whether it was he or an admin who deleted it, I don't know.  Can a person even delete a whole thread they'd started?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

I don't think so, but if he had stated that, an admin might have just gone ahead and done it to save him the trouble of asking them to do that.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ozarkman417

Quote from: kphoger on December 06, 2019, 12:49:03 PM
The OP stated that he would cancel the post if leadership determined it was inappropriate.  Considering the amount of profanity used for no apparent reason other than to let us all know how mad he was, I suspect that happened.  Whether it was he or an admin who deleted it, I don't know.  Can a person even delete a whole thread they'd started?

You cannot delete your own threads for whatever reason, from my experience. This forum would benefit from the ability to delete our own threads as it would cut down on the number of duplicate threads.
I Ctrl+F ed the rant and 'fuck' appeared six times.

SM-G965U

kphoger

The problem is that people might then delete every thread they ever started if they get mad enough.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

X99

Quote from: kphoger on December 06, 2019, 01:14:39 PM
The problem is that people might then delete every thread they ever started if they get mad enough.
In that case, it could be an "ask to delete thread" option, so that the author can give a valid reason for its removal and a mod can approve or deny the request based on that.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

tolbs17

Users can't delete threads.

Roadsguy

Can you delete a thread if no one has replied yet? I've never tried. Having any replies at all from other users is reason enough for it not to be allowed. (Some other forum software I've seen lets you delete the OP and leaves a zombie thread with only the replies that only mods/admins can see.)
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 06, 2019, 01:35:38 PM
Can you delete a thread if no one has replied yet? I've never tried. Having any replies at all from other users is reason enough for it not to be allowed. (Some other forum software I've seen lets you delete the OP and leaves a zombie thread with only the replies that only mods/admins can see.)

FWIW, zombie threads can be created here too.  Just ask webny99.
Male pronouns, please.

tolbs17

The OP stated that he would cancel the post if leadership determined it was inappropriate.  Considering the amount of profanity used for no apparent reason other than to let us all know how mad he was
Can't PM anyone so I can't let anyone know how mad I am. The best thing to do is for me is to make threads about my feelings.

Alps

Yes, I deleted it, or more appropriately "moved it to the killfile" (it's intact). Excessive profanity is not allowed on this site - profanity can be used but it should be contextual and limited. I felt that the whole thing was rather gratuitous.

Tolbs, the best way to express your feelings is to talk to people. I know you've expressed some very strong emotions before, and what I would recommend is moderating how you come across. A lot of yelling, threatening to hurt yourself, etc. is violent and extreme and is not appropriate for this venue. There are less aggressive ways to express emotions even if you feel them very strongly, and healthier outlets for them than a forum to discuss roads. I understand what you're going through and I'm on your side. A lot of forums tend to ban people who "don't play well" - you've mentioned yourself that you've been banned from many fora. We've really moved away from that here, except for extreme cases (people stalking/harassing users or trying to bring down the forum).

So, yes, your thread is intact, just in hibernation. I'm not going to discourage you from going on rants, but I would say to tone it down a bit. If you'd like, I can email you the content of the original thread so you can revise it to something less gratuitous and then repost.

tolbs17

Quote from: Alps on December 06, 2019, 10:59:16 PM
Yes, I deleted it, or more appropriately "moved it to the killfile" (it's intact). Excessive profanity is not allowed on this site - profanity can be used but it should be contextual and limited. I felt that the whole thing was rather gratuitous.

Tolbs, the best way to express your feelings is to talk to people. I know you've expressed some very strong emotions before, and what I would recommend is moderating how you come across. A lot of yelling, threatening to hurt yourself, etc. is violent and extreme and is not appropriate for this venue. There are less aggressive ways to express emotions even if you feel them very strongly, and healthier outlets for them than a forum to discuss roads. I understand what you're going through and I'm on your side. A lot of forums tend to ban people who "don't play well" - you've mentioned yourself that you've been banned from many fora. We've really moved away from that here, except for extreme cases (people stalking/harassing users or trying to bring down the forum).

So, yes, your thread is intact, just in hibernation. I'm not going to discourage you from going on rants, but I would say to tone it down a bit. If you'd like, I can email you the content of the original thread so you can revise it to something less gratuitous and then repost.
Talk to friends or talk to the people on this forum and I can put them under "Suggestions and Questions"?

I'm a 17 year old high school student (a senior) and i'm going to be graduating this year. I've tried hard making many friends and sometimes it works and it doesn't work because I think sometimes I push it too hard. Yeah this is a forum to talk about roads and there's an "Off-Topic" section where you can talk about what you want that also interests people. However, by not pictures of your personal life (like family and friends because that is kind of invasion of privacy). So I'm going to try my best to not let myself getting extended moderation or even being banned from more forums (this one as well) and talk to my friends about how I'm feeling.

You can email me the thread that was deleted, and I will clean up the language and make that thread a little less aggressive.

-Tolbs

Alps

Ya know what, I'm feeling generous tonight. It's back, modified.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.