News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Mispronouncing 'squander' for comedic effect

Started by bandit957, December 20, 2017, 11:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Anyone else do this?

'Squander' is a funny word even when pronounced correctly. It means to waste something. But it's even funnier when people purposely mispronounce it for comedic effect.

What I'm talking about is the 'a' sound in 'squander'. It's hilarious to change the 'a' sound so the word rhymes with 'slander' or 'meander'. I can't help but bursting into laughter at the mere thought.

Who else feels the same way?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Max Rockatansky

kphoger

Some days, I make every word rhyme with "meander".
I can't help but burst into laughter at the mere thought.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SectorZ

Quote from: bandit957 on December 20, 2017, 11:25:34 PM
Anyone else do this?

'Squander' is a funny word even when pronounced correctly. It means to waste something. But it's even funnier when people purposely mispronounce it for comedic effect.

What I'm talking about is the 'a' sound in 'squander'. It's hilarious to change the 'a' sound so the word rhymes with 'slander' or 'meander'. I can't help but bursting into laughter at the mere thought.

Red Sox radio broadcaster Joe Castiglione loves using the word, usually in the context of the Sox getting 2 or 3 guys on with no outs and then not scoring. It's become an on-running joke on the sports radio stations for years. However, he pronounces correctly.

hbelkins

Quote from: bandit957 on December 20, 2017, 11:25:34 PM
Anyone else do this?

No.

Quote'Squander' is a funny word even when pronounced correctly. It means to waste something. But it's even funnier when people purposely mispronounce it for comedic effect.

No one.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

"Chipotle" and "Qdoba" should always be pronounced the way they're spelled, however, without exception.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

I sometimes pronounce "pasta" or "Mazda" with the same "a" as "lamp". Classic Canadianism that I've unintentionally picked up. But I don't say it on purpose. I'm usually stigmatised for doing so. I've been lead to believe that not all parts of Canada pronounce these words in that manner, though.

Max Rockatansky

Now that I think about it I do intentionally mispronounce words in Spanish with an American accent.  The comedic effect around significant others is too much to ignore. 

formulanone

Some times I pronounce "filter" as "just post it anyway".

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 21, 2017, 10:47:48 PM
"Chipotle" and "Qdoba" should always be pronounced the way they're spelled, however, without exception.

Chipotle is pronounced the way it's spelled.  /chee-PO-tleh/

Quote from: formulanone on December 22, 2017, 07:33:18 AM
Some times I pronounce "filter" as "just post it anyway".

:D
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on December 22, 2017, 01:29:22 PM

Nah. The /t/ goes on the second syllable, not the third: /tʃɪˈpoʊt.leɪ/ . /tl/ as a syllable-initial consonant cluster is pretty rare in English.

kphoger

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 22, 2017, 04:31:50 PM

Nah. The /t/ goes on the second syllable, not the third: /tʃɪˈpoʊt.leɪ/ . /tl/ as a syllable-initial consonant cluster is pretty rare in English.

It's not an English word.  It's a Spanish word of Náhuatl origin.  In Náhuatl, the tl is a single consonant sound.  Mexican syllabification follows by not dividing the cluster into separate syllables (in contradistinction to peninsular Spanish).  The syllabification by Mexican convention, then, is exactly as I described.
Male pronouns, please.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on December 22, 2017, 04:49:01 PM

It's not an English word.  It's a Spanish word of Náhuatl origin.  In Náhuatl, the tl is a single consonant sound.  Mexican syllabification follows by not dividing the cluster into separate syllables (in contradistinction to peninsular Spanish).  The syllabification by Mexican convention, then, is exactly as I described.

Chipotle is an American chain of restaurants, pronounced as "chi-poht-lay" (/tʃɪˈpoʊtleɪ/ according to Wikipedia). The jalapeno has a different pronunciation in Spanish. I assume we're talking about restaurants, given the Qdoba reference.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on December 22, 2017, 04:53:15 PM

Chipotle is an American chain of restaurants, pronounced as "chi-poht-lay" (/tʃɪˈpoʊtleɪ/ according to Wikipedia). The jalapeno has a different pronunciation in Spanish. I assume we're talking about restaurants, given the Qdoba reference.

Mmmmm....  OK.  It's named after the pepper, and it serves (awesome) Mexican-ish food, so I treat it as a Spanish name.  So how am I supposed to be pronouncing it, Scott5114?  And, while we're at it, how do you pronounce Qdoba the way it's spelled, anyway?  Not familiar with pronunciation rules for the QD cluster.
Male pronouns, please.

MNHighwayMan

Right, but we're talking about English, not Náhuatl. The two have different rules about phonology. Phonetic sounds undergo changes to adapt to a different language's phonology.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on December 22, 2017, 05:18:21 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on December 22, 2017, 04:53:15 PM

Mmmmm....  OK.  It's named after the pepper, and it serves (awesome) Mexican-ish food, so I treat it as a Spanish name.  So how am I supposed to be pronouncing it, Scott5114?  And, while we're at it, how do you pronounce Qdoba the way it's spelled, anyway?  Not familiar with pronunciation rules for the QD cluster.

Well, no one's going to knock you for going the extra mile. I'm just knocking you for trying to correct us on the "tl" sound. It's not meant to be used in this instance, at least not by those speaking English.

I could see "Qdoba" being mispronounced as "kwuh-dough-buh". Starting a word off with a letter pronounced independently, followed by a several consonants and vowels pronounced together seems odd.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

jakeroot

Scott5114

Wrong. It's chee-pot-ul and qui-doh-buh. Learn to read!

/s
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 23, 2017, 04:51:42 AM

Wrong. It's chee-pot-ul and qui-doh-buh. Learn to read!

/s

Well, everyone at my work pronounces Chipotle as /chuh-POLE-tay/, and Qdoba as /too-ex-PEN-siv/ .
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

^ As the "t" comes before the "l", I assume you know that can't be correct. I say "chi-poht-lee", and FWIW, I do have frequent reason to use that word  :D

Never been to Qdoba, as it is not within a reasonable distance from my workplace. I cannot imagine it is MORE expensive than Chipotle. If that is the case, I don't intend to make an effort to go there. Chipotle serves me quite well.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on December 23, 2017, 04:31:35 PM
^ As the "t" comes before the "l", I assume you know that can't be correct.

I speak Spanish, and I have dried chipotles in my cupboard at this very moment.  So yes, I definitely know it's not correct.  It drives me nuts!  Of course, my boss also pronounces specific as "Pacific" and Vonage as "Vontage".
Male pronouns, please.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on December 23, 2017, 05:25:27 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 23, 2017, 04:31:35 PM
^ As the "t" comes before the "l", I assume you know that can't be correct.

I speak Spanish, and I have dried chipotles in my cupboard at this very moment.  So yes, I definitely know it's not correct.  It drives me nuts!  Of course, my boss also pronounces specific as "Pacific" and Vonage as "Vontage".

What you make me think of:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.