News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Weirdest happening on the forum

Started by webny99, October 31, 2017, 02:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

What is the strangest thing that you think has ever happened on this forum?

I'm not talking about strange humor, I'm talking about actually confusing stuff that has never been explained. For example this.

Also, over 5,000 users joined in 2014, but there are currently only 3,352. How do thousands of users just disappear?

Also, one day last week there were 486 posts. It is quite possible that that is the most posts that there has ever been in a single day on the forum.

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on October 31, 2017, 02:12:41 AM
Also, over 5,000 users joined in 2014, but there are currently only 3,352. How do thousands of users just disappear?

These phantom new members seem to be 6/10/11 to 9/6/13 (not in 2014 as you said), based on forum stats.

User ID numbers are chronological, and they count these phantom members as if they were real.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

jeffandnicole

Weirdest happening?  That younger people seemed way-overly concerned about forum statistics. 

Scott5114

That's simple. When you want to join the forum, a moderator has to approve your account. This is usually done by US 71, although all of us have access to the function. The mod looks over your account to see whether you're likely to be a spammer or not, by evaluating your answer to "why do you want to join the forum?" (overly generic or blank responses are a rejection) and by searching your email against lists of known spammers. If the account is likely to be a spammer, it is not approved and thus not counted in the user count. However, because the account must be listed in the database until it is approved, it is assigned a sequential ID number (for basic SQL database structure reasons).

So the difference in account population is simply the total number of accounts registered minus the rejected accounts.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

adventurernumber1

That Archer City crap was definitely weird as hell.

Also, another thing to note with that is that the thread in the "Welcome!" subforum ( https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=21049.0 ) had a random Interstate Shield Message Icon, and the thread in the "Bridges" subforum ( https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=21050.msg2256662 ) had a random US Highway Shield Message Icon. Is the latter fact supposed to imply that there is supposedly a US Highway 287 that runs through a non-existent Archer City, Florida, and that it goes across a major bridge?  :rolleyes:

Don't know whether that was a bot or a troll or what; or maybe it was a baby who was exactly 287 days old at the time of those postings, like NE2 said in one of those threads.

:pan:   :banghead:   :rofl:

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

kphoger

There was a secret war with Nimbya a while ago.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Takumi

-TheAlan360 threatening to call the police on us because of what Alanland became
-ethanman62187 pretending to be a moderator and subsequently getting banned for it
-blawp, the only person (to my knowledge) to get banned three times
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

Quote from: Takumi on October 31, 2017, 12:19:12 PM
-TheAlan360 threatening to call the police on us because of what Alan.land became
-ethanman62187 pretending to be a moderator and subsequently getting banned for it

Wow, I remember the first and third ones, but not the second!  Thanks for the blast from the past.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on October 31, 2017, 01:12:43 PM
Quote from: Takumi on October 31, 2017, 12:19:12 PM
-TheAlan360 threatening to call the police on us because of what Alan.land became

Wow, I remember the first and third ones, but not the second!  Thanks for the blast from the past.

Right before he was banned, he bizarrely started using the purple text and threatening to ban people (why, I have no clue, and those posts appear to have been deleted). I'm pretty sure that was the last straw for the moderators.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CNGL-Leudimin

I knew the stories behind the first two, but not about blawp. What happened with him?

Then there was the infamous dlzsabe. I incorporated his Hypotenuse into my plans after he was banned, and it has gone almost unnoticed since.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 31, 2017, 03:08:22 PM
Hypotenuse

This definitely ranks up there.

To be honest, the original post of the Alan land thread was really bizarre and was certainly not "strange humor."
Male pronouns, please.

NE2

I incorporated his Hypotenuse into my plans after he was banned, and it has gone almost unnoticed since.
I think that's because your plans go almost unnoticed period.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

Alanlandia was bizarre and not bizarre, yet it became bizarre-er-est. 

I think many folks' reaction to the announcement of I-69E, I-69C, and I-69W was a weird moment for our forum.

Roadgeekteen

When a member signed up with 2 identities and revealed it in a math problem.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Takumi

I knew the stories behind the first two, but not about blawp. What happened with him?
I’ve forgotten why he was banned the first time (he was constantly bashing the Midwest and saying everything California does is perfect and should not be questioned, but I’m not sure what put it over the top), but the second two times he was banned for joining after already being banned.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: NE2 on October 31, 2017, 03:27:37 PMI think that's because your plans go almost unnoticed period.

I noticed that, and I believe it's because my plans are reasonable and prudent (Now I think, where did I see that?). Perhaps I need to route an Interstate through Yellowstone.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 31, 2017, 06:54:32 PM
Quote from: NE2 on October 31, 2017, 03:27:37 PMI think that's because your plans go almost unnoticed period.

I noticed that, and I believe it's because my plans are reasonable and prudent (Now I think, where did I see that?). Perhaps I need to route an Interstate through Yellowstone.

For me personally:  they're very extensive, and I just don't the attention span to look through them all.   :-P
Male pronouns, please.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: kphoger on November 01, 2017, 12:52:55 PM

For me personally:  they're very extensive, and I just don't the attention span to look through them all.   :-P

Truthfully though, what new material is still being brought to the table with any of these ongoing grand plan threads? We've seen the more "realistic" ones by original forum members, then the Fritz plans and the people trying to one-up his absurdity, so where else can we go? Brutally honest, it's all become a big yawn by now.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

roadman65

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 31, 2017, 07:19:22 AM
That's simple. When you want to join the forum, a moderator has to approve your account. This is usually done by US 71, although all of us have access to the function. The mod looks over your account to see whether you're likely to be a spammer or not, by evaluating your answer to "why do you want to join the forum?" (overly generic or blank responses are a rejection) and by searching your email against lists of known spammers. If the account is likely to be a spammer, it is not approved and thus not counted in the user count. However, because the account must be listed in the database until it is approved, it is assigned a sequential ID number (for basic SQL database structure reasons).

So the difference in account population is simply the total number of accounts registered minus the rejected accounts.
How did Archer City get approved then?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 05, 2017, 04:42:52 AM
Quote from: kphoger on November 01, 2017, 12:52:55 PM

Truthfully though, what new material is still being brought to the table with any of these ongoing grand plan threads? We've seen the more "realistic" ones by original forum members, then the Fritz plans and the people trying to one-up his absurdity, so where else can we go? Brutally honest, it's all become a big yawn by now.

The “I-2 Immigration Freedomway” ensured all future absurdist proposals were either jumping the shark or created out of greater boredom than sense. Fictional Highways are fine for proposals that would make some sense given some data, renumbering situations, roads that are not quite complete...

Even more weird was I-2 actually appearing a few months later, seemingly out of thin air.

Roadgeekteen

InterstateNG. I have never seen a good post of his.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

vdeane

Quote from: formulanone on November 06, 2017, 08:14:36 AM
Even more weird was I-2 actually appearing a few months later, seemingly out of thin air.
And along part of the same route for the Freedomway proposal, too!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 06, 2017, 08:37:13 AM
InterstateNG. I have never seen a good post of his.

The irony is just dripping off this post...

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadman65

Quote from: vdeane on November 06, 2017, 01:00:47 PM
Quote from: formulanone on November 06, 2017, 08:14:36 AM
And along part of the same route for the Freedomway proposal, too!
He once shit his pants when I told a Bud Schuster joke and tried to get the moderator to warn me about necro posting as Bud jokes were old at the point in time except for NE2 who this guy never got upset about when he necroposted and such.  This guy acted like he knew me the way he was obsessed with my posts and it appeared that he singled me out as he never said a thing to others especially the troll.

Later I learned from Alex that he was trouble before and got himself banned for telling him to f off. 

I also think that he tried to become a user again using the name federalroute1 but a mod caught him on that name.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.