News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Worlds Coolest Library

Started by roadman65, November 13, 2017, 03:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Bruce

Those higher bookshelves are completely inaccessible and are only eyecandy. Give me a room full of shelves and nooks anyday.

Reminds me a bit of Seattle's Central Library, designed by a star-chitect and is functionally the worst library I've encountered. The metal finishes and open space make it very loud when trying to walk around, it's overcrowded because there's too much open air, and trying to get from floor to floor requires walking through a maze that only goes up...going down requires using the overburdened elevators or emergency stairs.

kkt

They have forgotten that the library is not the building.  The library is inside the building.

Aluminum plates that look like books?  really?

Roadgeekteen

And how the fuck do you reach the top shelf?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 19, 2017, 01:17:52 AM

After a certain height, they use fake books, not real books.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on November 19, 2017, 08:42:44 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 19, 2017, 01:17:52 AM

After a certain height, they use fake books, not real books.
So the point of it is to look cool?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

english si

You can do functional libraries with awesome architecture and grand reading rooms - off the top of my head the Library of Congress, New York Central Library and the Bodleian Library are well known for it, and I'm sure there's others.

However, all these are old in style: the floor has lots of tables to actually read the books and make notes. The shelves go high up, but there's walkways to reach the higher ones (and sometimes those rolling ladders as well, but never having to go too high up). Of course, the reading room isn't the whole library (and they have those clinical other rooms and densely packed shelf piles with the moving shelves so they don't have to have gaps between them all).

The issue is modern architecture is usually minimalist. Thus tables and chairs in a grand open space are off theme. Ladders and walkways and stuff ditto.

The new British Library somewhat pulls it off - modernist architecture but still functional (though not functional enough that they don't let you in without a specific reason to be there as it can't deal with plebs coming in), but when people think of the British Library they think of the large Victorian reading room on the old site.

US 89

The Salt Lake City Library is pretty cool, especially from an architecture point of view.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.