News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

"Who's Online" on this forum

Started by hotdogPi, August 11, 2013, 09:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

I often check "Who's Online" on this forum (that's often how a topic gets resurrected), and here are some interesting things I have found about it:

1. Nobody else checks "Who's Online".

2. Sometimes someone will have Nothing, or nothing you can see...
What does that mean? Also, only guests and admins seem to do it.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Molandfreak

I have no idea what you are attempting to ask, but maybe I can shed some light on the situation.

Quote from: 1 on August 11, 2013, 09:48:34 PM
1. Nobody else checks "Who's Online".
Why do we need to?

Quote from: 1 on August 11, 2013, 09:48:34 PM
2. Sometimes someone will have Nothing, or nothing you can see...
What does that mean? Also, only guests and admins seem to do it.
I have noticed when I've conversed with members, sometimes it will show them as offline. I assume these users are using smartphones to post to the forum on these occasions.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

froggie

QuoteI often check "Who's Online" on this forum (that's often how a topic gets resurrected),

Huh?

Topics get resurrected because A) someone has new information on the topic, or B) a new user wants to have their say on an old topic.  Has nothing to do with "who's online".

Quote1. Nobody else checks "Who's Online".

Moland's right...no real need to.  Plus, the main forum page shows who's been active within the last 15 minutes, so why go to a special page?

Some (most?) of us aren't on this forum to see who else is.  We're on this forum to comment/post information related to transportation, or other stuff in the case of the "Off-topic" folder, mostly sports and hobbies there.

1995hoo

I never look at the list of who's online, but it's meaningless anyway. I've often looked at the forum and then, because I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing, left it running in a browser tab for several hours while I was doing something else. It might show me as "online" when for all practical purposes I might as well not be.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Takumi

Quote from: froggie on August 12, 2013, 04:24:33 AM
QuoteI often check "Who's Online" on this forum (that's often how a topic gets resurrected),

Huh?

Topics get resurrected because A) someone has new information on the topic, or B) a new user wants to have their say on an old topic.  Has nothing to do with "who's online".
I think what he's saying is he sees someone on the Who's Online screen viewing an old topic, so he goes and looks at it himself, and in some cases resurrects it.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

J N Winkler

I wouldn't check "Who's online," largely because I don't know how the forum software generates the listing, and it might actually be spurious.  If I had to guess, "Who's online" might be shorthand for "Which of these users sent a page request in the last fifteen minutes that was accompanied by the login cookie for that specific user," which would mean that some users would be excluded if, for example, they used private browsing.

In short:

*  If you are tempted to post something on the basis that a given user is not shown as "online" and thus won't see it immediately--don't.

*  If you post and hope that a user shown as "online" will see it and reply immediately--be patient, and be prepared to send a PM or use another direct contact mechanism if you really need an answer.

"Who's online" is useful mainly for getting an impression of who checks the forum frequently and how active the forum is at various times of day.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

ET21

Making a topic on everything I see?  :rolleyes:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

froggie

QuoteI think what he's saying is he sees someone on the Who's Online screen viewing an old topic, so he goes and looks at it himself, and in some cases resurrects it.

Which might be the case with him/her, but from what I've seen, is not the case overall.

QuoteI wouldn't check "Who's online," largely because I don't know how the forum software generates the listing, and it might actually be spurious.  If I had to guess, "Who's online" might be shorthand for "Which of these users sent a page request in the last fifteen minutes that was accompanied by the login cookie for that specific user," which would mean that some users would be excluded if, for example, they used private browsing.

I'd think (and expect) that posting a reply would trigger it as well, even if 'private browsing' was used.

bob7374

Speaking of 'Who's Online', anyone notice that a new log-in record was set on August 4? From the bottom of the main page -'Most Online Ever: 261 (August 04, 2013, 11:35:07 AM)'.

I was logged in at the time and the online listing had about 40 or so 'users' and about 220 'guests.' Typically there may be over 100 guests at times, but over 200? Anyone know what could account for this large number of guests, especially given that it was on a Sunday morning. Was the main topic of concern at the time, airport signage, of that much interest? Was the Forum address listed in an article in the Sunday paper somewhere?

vdeane

Quote from: froggie on August 12, 2013, 01:06:47 PM
I'd think (and expect) that posting a reply would trigger it as well, even if 'private browsing' was used.
Private browsing doesn't affect anything if you're signed in, and if you not, there's no posting a reply, so it's moot.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.