Do any stations still show Mister Rogers?

Started by bandit957, January 20, 2024, 08:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Are there any TV stations that still show Mister Rogers? I can't seem to find him on our local PBS stations.

Mister Rogers had so many valuable lessons for the kids of today. I don't understand why his old shows wouldn't still be on the air.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Life in Paradise

Quote from: bandit957 on January 20, 2024, 08:47:32 PM
Are there any TV stations that still show Mister Rogers? I can't seem to find him on our local PBS stations.

Mister Rogers had so many valuable lessons for the kids of today. I don't understand why his old shows wouldn't still be on the air.
Apparently it may be available on several streaming services, but I hear that its available on PBSkids.org

Scott5114

Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood seems to be the modern incarnation of it—it's an animated show created by Mr. Rogers' production company, and is set in the Neighborhood of Make-Believe from Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. A screenshot on the Wikipedia article suggests that Daniel Tiger (who is an anthropomorphic tiger meant to be the son of the Daniel the Striped Tiger puppet from Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood) even does Mr. Rogers' famous shoe-changing routine.

Neither OETA (in Oklahoma) nor Vegas PBS seem to carry the original Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood anymore. While it is kind of a shame, I suppose they only have so many hours in a day, and carrying a TV show from 20 years ago just isn't something they're willing to do, especially when there's a show that's close to the same thing putting out new content.

Mr. Roger's Neighborhood actually predates PBS—it was originally broadcast on the NET network. One of the buildings in the opening diorama scene actually had the NET logo painted on it originally; when the show transitioned to PBS, this building was repainted to look like a normal building, but the distinct off-center roofline remained for the rest of the show.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

lepidopteran

When Mr. Rogers resumed taping in 1979 after a 4-year hiatus, a street-running trolley was added to the opening/closing diorama.  I think I read somewhere that the person tasked with reconstructing the diorama was a railfan, so he modified a railcar to look like the Neighborhood Trolley used on the show and ran it on some trackage carefully inserted into the layout.  He apparently didn't even tell Fred Rogers about it until he showed him the finished product.  But Mr. Rogers liked it, so the trolley car remained.

Road Hog

Anyone remember "Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood" on SNL? Featuring Eddie Murphy.

Rothman

Well, sure.  He's done the skit a lot more recently than that.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

freebrickproductions

I'm pretty sure SNL likes to replay it during their annual holiday specials as well.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

roadman65

Was Mr. Rogers really a Navy Seal or was that political propaganda?  I heard from fellow Knights of Columbus members who listened to a Speaker at a meeting I missed who talked about Fred Rogers and Captain Kangeroo being proud men serving our nation in the armed forces.  I was told that Mr. Rogers was a navy seal and wore long sleeves on camera to hide full sleeve tattoos.

Then on a social media post I mentioned that meeting and speaker, and some woman accused me of spreading untrue rumors.

Was Mr. Rogers a Seal or is it an incorrect story?

[Edited to remove irrelevant inflammatory content. Come on, that's not necessary. -S.]
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fred-rogers-rumors/

A popular form of humor-cum-legend is to float a rumor that some mild-mannered, physically unimposing celebrity (such as John Denver or Don Knotts) not only served in the military, but held a position particularly known for requiring toughness and extreme mental and physical fortitude, such as a Navy SEAL, an Army Green Beret, a Marine Corps drill instructor, or an armed services sniper. Fred Rogers has also been the subject of such rumors, all of them false.

Not only did Fred Rogers never serve in the military, there are no gaps in his career when he could conceivably have done so. He went straight into college after high school, he moved directly into TV work after graduating college, and his breaks from television work were devoted to attending the Pittsburgh Theological Seminary (he was ordained as a Presbyterian minister in 1963) and the University of Pittsburgh's Graduate School of Child Development. Moreover, Fred Rogers was born in 1928 and was therefore far too old to have been a draftee during the period of America's military involvement in the Vietnam ground war (1965-72) and too established in his career at that point to have run off to enlist.

Route66Fan

In my area (Carrollton, MO), Mr. Rogers Neighboorhood airs on weekend mornings from 5-5:30AM on KMOS-TV, Ch. 6.1, Sedalia\Warrensburg, MO & Sunday mornings from 5-5:30AM on KCPT-TV, Ch. 19.1, Kansas City, MO.

These showings likely come from the PBS feed.

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 22, 2024, 03:57:17 AM

A popular form of humor-cum-legend is to float a rumor that some mild-mannered, physically unimposing celebrity (such as John Denver or Don Knotts) not only served in the military, but held a position particularly known for requiring toughness and extreme mental and physical fortitude, such as a Navy SEAL, an Army Green Beret, a Marine Corps drill instructor, or an armed services sniper. Fred Rogers has also been the subject of such rumors, all of them false.

Not only did Fred Rogers never serve in the military, there are no gaps in his career when he could conceivably have done so. He went straight into college after high school, he moved directly into TV work after graduating college, and his breaks from television work were devoted to attending the Pittsburgh Theological Seminary (he was ordained as a Presbyterian minister in 1963) and the University of Pittsburgh's Graduate School of Child Development. Moreover, Fred Rogers was born in 1928 and was therefore far too old to have been a draftee during the period of America's military involvement in the Vietnam ground war (1965-72) and too established in his career at that point to have run off to enlist.
I believe this was also addressed in the excellent documentary, Won't You Be My Neighbor?.

That said, the lack of Betty Aberlin in that film is interesting.  Think it was because she wanted to get away from the show after it was done, especially when you look at her work since...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

wriddle082

https://www.misterrogers.org/watch/

For the first two weeks of every month, they have a week's worth of episodes from the 1968-1976 era.  Then for the second two weeks, they have a week's worth of episodes from the 1979-2001 era.

This is how I've been watching it for the past couple of years.  I usually look forward to the older episodes more because most of them haven't been aired since the 80's.

Henry

Quote from: Route66Fan on January 22, 2024, 04:06:17 AM

In my area (Carrollton, MO), Mr. Rogers Neighboorhood airs on weekend mornings from 5-5:30AM on KMOS-TV, Ch. 6.1, Sedalia\Warrensburg, MO & Sunday mornings from 5-5:30AM on KCPT-TV, Ch. 19.1, Kansas City, MO.

These showings likely come from the PBS feed.
He's been dead for 20 years, so there's that. But I like that at least one station will air his show every now and then.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

roadman65

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 22, 2024, 03:57:17 AM

When one of the rumors is heard from a valid group and one your own father belongs too, it's a good question to ask. My father is not one to gossip and he don't respond to rumors like many do, but he is human too.  Plus to serve one's country is pretty honorable.  Usually when rumors are made up it's to dishonor or discredit a person's character. To me I would see no reason for people to hate Fred Rogers to do such a thing and to say good things to boot.

Then again, this world is crazy.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

People make up stuff all the time to make themselves feel important, or because they think it's funny, or because they want to see if the other person will believe them, or whatever other reason. If whoever hears it doesn't bother to check if it is true or not, they're apt to repeat it, and then that's how these things spread. This was especially a problem before the Internet since there was no easy way to check whether a claim was true in five seconds.

A lot of the people who never check anything end up being easily led into believing fantastical things like the tackamars stuff or that eating fish medication cures nearsightedness or whatever other sort of nonsense someone can con them into believing. Spouting such beliefs to someone who knows better usually doesn't do a lot of good to one's reputation. It's good practice to just get in the habit of checking before believing anything, so that you don't unwittingly lead others to believe untrue things; this is everyone's responsibility to do no matter who they heard it from.

roadman65

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 05, 2024, 09:36:05 AM
People make up stuff all the time to make themselves feel important, or because they think it's funny, or because they want to see if the other person will believe them, or whatever other reason. If whoever hears it doesn't bother to check if it is true or not, they're apt to repeat it, and then that's how these things spread. This was especially a problem before the Internet since there was no easy way to check whether a claim was true in five seconds.

A lot of the people who never check anything end up being easily led into believing fantastical things like the tackamars stuff or that eating fish medication cures nearsightedness or whatever other sort of nonsense someone can con them into believing. Spouting such beliefs to someone who knows better usually doesn't do a lot of good to one's reputation. It's good practice to just get in the habit of checking before believing anything, so that you don't unwittingly lead others to believe untrue things; this is everyone's responsibility to do no matter who they heard it from.

This year will be a lot of that, due to the election coming up.   However, Google don't help as its search engine don't weed out old articles and hooks you up to bad sites.   Yet, these rumors make it into institutions like local clubs and churches, and people trust their friends and coworshippers to not want to check.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

Yep, getting good information takes a non-zero amount of time. A lot of people don't want to take the time to make sure they've got it right. And that's what people are counting on when they intentionally spread false info.

kphoger

Bob Ross, on the other hand, was a master sergeant in the Air Force, and it was his job to yell at people.  When he was done with his military service, he promised himself to never yell again.  True story.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Maybe that's how the rumor about Mr. Rogers started—they heard about Bob Ross's history and mixed the two of them up.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.