News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Has anyone ever heard the term Doomsearch?

Started by roadman65, February 16, 2024, 02:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I heard a radio personality say that when you scroll through social media to see what's posted and not reply, it's called Doomsearching.

Has anyone heard of this particular phrase of those who look, but not post?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

freebrickproductions

I've heard it described as "doomscrolling" before, basically scrolling to keep-up with the latest of latest developments in any major new story, often causing a person to feel increasingly doomed, IIRC?
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 16, 2024, 02:23:09 PM
I've heard it described as "doomscrolling" before, basically scrolling to keep-up with the latest of latest developments in any major new story, often causing a person to feel increasingly doomed, IIRC?

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 16, 2024, 02:23:09 PM

I was curious the name with the word doom in it.

I can relate, as I try to stay away from the news because I'm tired of hearing the gloom as well as phony click bait.  This year is going to be tough with the primaries, as candidates will spend millions on ads to remind us who is running for what ( as if we don't know already) and acting childish with name calling.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

WillWeaverRVA

I've only ever heard of it being called "doomscrolling". The term came into vogue at the start of the pandemic when it seemed like there was nothing but bad news everywhere.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

J N Winkler

Doomscrolling is the term I've heard, and I've always felt it has less to do with the content and more with the user interface design, specifically the "endless feed" and the constant cueing-up of new posts that are designed to keep your attention glued to the ad pipeline.

I do not consider it to be ethical for social media platforms to treat their users in this way, so I have pretty much abandoned all of them except Facebook, which I visit just twice a day and only with a Web browser that has the Fluff Busting Purity plugin, running on a laptop that has an ad-blocking HOSTS file.  (I am narrowly defining "social media" to exclude Web forums, which thankfully do not exploit the same dopamine loop.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

JREwing78

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 17, 2024, 01:26:55 PM
Doomscrolling is the term I've heard, and I've always felt it has less to do with the content and more with the user interface design, specifically the "endless feed" and the constant cueing-up of new posts that are designed to keep your attention glued to the ad pipeline.

That's the context I've always heard that reference in. A common complaint about YouTube, Twitter, and other is that, in the search for more clicks, they tend towards more negative (harmful) entries. If the user is a teenager, for instance, they lean hard into posts about body dysmorphia. If someone has a bent towards a political view, they cue up the most extreme versions of said viewpoint.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.