News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

2024 NCAA Men's Basketball Coaching Carosel

Started by MikieTimT, April 10, 2024, 10:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikieTimT

With the Muss Bus leaving Arkansas to go to a program clearly due to Musselman wanting to get closer to family, it left the SEC with a big hole to fill.  I didn't see Coach Cal defecting from Kentucky, though.  Big shocker, and will certainly give a new dimension to the Arkansas/Kentucky basketball rivalry from now on.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: MikieTimT on April 10, 2024, 10:54:06 AMWith the Muss Bus leaving Arkansas to go to a program clearly due to Musselman wanting to get closer to family, it left the SEC with a big hole to fill.  I didn't see Coach K defecting from Kentucky, though.  Big shocker, and will certainly give a new dimension to the Arkansas/Kentucky basketball rivalry from now on.

Not Coach K...Coach Cal.

And Kentucky really didn't mind this. They had grown tired of the underperformance in the tourney in recent years.

MikieTimT

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 10, 2024, 11:40:52 AM
Quote from: MikieTimT on April 10, 2024, 10:54:06 AMWith the Muss Bus leaving Arkansas to go to a program clearly due to Musselman wanting to get closer to family, it left the SEC with a big hole to fill.  I didn't see Coach K defecting from Kentucky, though.  Big shocker, and will certainly give a new dimension to the Arkansas/Kentucky basketball rivalry from now on.

Not Coach K...Coach Cal.

And Kentucky really didn't mind this. They had grown tired of the underperformance in the tourney in recent years.

Right you are.  Corrected my error.

JayhawkCO

Cal was likely getting fired next year anything short of a Final Four. It made sense for him to bail early. Will be interesting to see if UK pays through the nose for Nate Oats or Scott Drew.

Rothman

I was coached in basketball by Coach Cal...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MikieTimT

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 10, 2024, 12:54:11 PMCal was likely getting fired next year anything short of a Final Four. It made sense for him to bail early. Will be interesting to see if UK pays through the nose for Nate Oats or Scott Drew.

It was much the same with Muss, although the family connections back in Cali likely had something to do with it too with the opening at USC coming up.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: MikieTimT on April 10, 2024, 04:42:12 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 10, 2024, 12:54:11 PMCal was likely getting fired next year anything short of a Final Four. It made sense for him to bail early. Will be interesting to see if UK pays through the nose for Nate Oats or Scott Drew.

It was much the same with Muss, although the family connections back in Cali likely had something to do with it too with the opening at USC coming up.

Muss made Arkansas as relevant as they've been since the Big Nasty days. Not a great year this year obviously, but if Arkansas was looking to get rid of him this early, that would be a little bit of a shock to me.

MikieTimT

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 10, 2024, 04:53:31 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on April 10, 2024, 04:42:12 PM

Muss made Arkansas as relevant as they've been since the Big Nasty days. Not a great year this year obviously, but if Arkansas was looking to get rid of him this early, that would be a little bit of a shock to me.

I don't know.  When you recruit one of top sets of talent in the nation and not even make the tournament like Arkansas did this year, it's not a great look.  That said, he certainly earned another year to turn it back around.  Now to who Kentucky fills their void with.

WillWeaverRVA

After failing to get Nate Oats, Dan Hurley, and Scott Drew, Kentucky hired Mark Pope from BYU. Pope played on the Kentucky team that won the national championship in 1997.

Of course, this is still a weird hire. BYU just got humiliated by Duquesne in the first round of the NCAA tournament.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

JayhawkCO

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on April 12, 2024, 10:36:38 AMAfter failing to get Nate Oats, Dan Hurley, and Scott Drew, Kentucky hired Mark Pope from BYU. Pope played on the Kentucky team that won the national championship in 1997.

Of course, this is still a weird hire. BYU just got humiliated by Duquesne in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Not saying he either will or won't succeed at UK, but obviously he's going to be able to attract a much different level of player at Kentucky vs. BYU.

hbelkins

My comment on the Calipari/Pope situation appears to have been deleted.

If a post gets deleted, it would be nice for the guilty moderator to drop a private note to the person whose post got deleted telling them so, and why.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

WillWeaverRVA

The chain that started with SMU firing Rob Lanier ended today:

The chain:
1. Rob Lanier is fired from SMU
2. Andy Enfield goes from USC to SMU
3. Musselman goes from Arkansas to USC
4. John Calipari goes from Kentucky to Arkansas
5. Mark Pope goes from BYU to Kentucky
6. BYU hires Kevin Young, assistant coach of the Phoenix Suns
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

JayhawkCO

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on April 16, 2024, 08:05:41 PMThe chain that started with SMU firing Rob Lanier ended today:

The chain:

What if a college coach replaces Kevin Young?

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 16, 2024, 08:58:07 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on April 16, 2024, 08:05:41 PMThe chain that started with SMU firing Rob Lanier ended today:

The chain:

What if a college coach replaces Kevin Young?

Young was the highest paid assistant coach in the NBA so I imagine the Suns probably won't look for a college guy.
Will Weaver

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.