News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Day trip: Petersburg to Raleigh and back

Started by Takumi, March 02, 2019, 10:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

I took a little day trip to the outskirts of Raleigh and back this afternoon, doing a big loop: I-85 to Henderson, then south on US 1 to Raleigh, where I stopped for an hour or two for food and drink, then east on I-540 to its end at US 64/264/I-87/495/whatever else, then 64 east to Rocky Mount, and finally 95 back home. Wasn’t really for much of anything other than I hadn’t done a road trip in a few months, and hadn’t been to Raleigh since I was a child. (As such, this was my first time driving everything between Henderson and Rocky Mount.) Traffic wasn’t an issue until I got to Wake Forest, but even then it wasn’t that bad. Some observations:

-I-495, not 87, is still posted at the end of I-540. I-87 posting is spotty and its current end is unclear. There are two reassurance shields eastbound before the end of the six-lane segment and a single future I-87 corridor sign east of Wendell.
-The reconstruction of I-85 from the Virginia state line to Henderson has progressed a bit since the last time I went that way back in the fall, with about 10-12 miles of completed highway before the first lane closure, and even then the shifts to the other side of the median are gone.
-I-540 is neat. I liked it. It’s like a nicer version of I-295.
-North Carolina interstates generally seem to be in better shape than Virginia’s. Fewer potholes and such.
-Emporia has a construction zone northbound on 95 between exits 8 and 11, with a speed limit drop to 55. There was a single police car sitting on the side of the road at exit 11. Last time I drove through Emporia I didn’t see any police cars at all.
-Overall I saw North Carolina police cars a little more frequently than I did Virginia ones, both local and state. The brief 45 MPH section of US 1 south of Henderson seemed to have the heaviest enforcement as I saw three state troopers there in a short time.
-North Carolina seems to like to add little supplemental signs to exit signs instead of using greenout. Also, I saw no Clearview whatsoever there. Bonus point for that.
-There’s a detour for I-85 posted to follow US 64 and I-95, which I assume comes from the 85/40 split and is for bypassing the construction in the north of the state. I also noticed an alternate route for I-40 posted to follow US 264.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

froggie

Quote-Emporia has a construction zone northbound on 95 between exits 8 and 11, with a speed limit drop to 55.

That'd likely be for the bridge replacement over the Meherrin River not far south of Exit 11.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.