News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Patrick’s Trip Journals

Started by TheHighwayMan3561, March 29, 2019, 07:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

I was realizing today I should start more of a running log since I start having trouble remembering what it is I do on the road if I wait too long to record it.

Today was an Iron Range day trip from my home in the Twin Cities. It's about three hours one way. The Range is a collection of decaying mining cities in northeast Minnesota famous for past iron ore production, and more recently taconite. More recent proposals for sulfide and copper/nickel mining have been the subject of long-running fights in both state and national government, and the public. I had been here in 2017 when I clinched MN 1, otherwise I have not been here much despite my time living in Superior.

I drove north on US 169 to Grand Rapids before I finally got onto new mileage, taking 169 northeast to Virginia in the process giving me all of 169 in the state north of I-90. After that I did a loop to clinch MN 135 and MN 169, two routes that pass through rolling hills and woods with a few small towns on the way and some mine entrances. If I had planned better I could have clinched MN 37 as well, but I didn't really plan that deeply.

After grabbing 169 I headed back north on US 53 to north of Cook where I reversed on MN 73, which was my main goal to clinch today. This was also a very rural route with little of note either, though when I reached its southern terminus in Moose Lake it was clear the weekend getaway crowd headed up north on I-35 from Minneapolis to Duluth and elsewhere is already raring to go for the season based on the packed gas station.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.