News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Sike Lanes

Started by SkyPesos, October 22, 2021, 12:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

Idea from the "Change one letter of a thread title" thread:
Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 02, 2021, 05:38:27 PM
Sike Lanes: Those times when a lane gets added just for it to be removed. (I feel like this could actually be a legitimate thread)

I'll start off with two St Louis area examples:

MO 370 bridge over the Missouri River - Temporary widened to 8 lanes when the new WB I-70 bridge was under construction to the south in 2012-2013, reverted back to 6 lanes when it was finished.

I-270 SB to I-44 EB loop ramp - Temporary widened to 2 lanes in 2008-2009, and revered back to a single lane later on. I don't know the reason why, all I know is that it happened.

sprjus4

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.764979,-76.2649882,103m/data=!3m1!1e3!5m1!1e1

The westbound (pointing east) lanes of I-64 in this location was always set up with 2 inside "through lanes" and 2 outside "C/D" lanes. In order to accommodate construction of the ongoing Express Lanes / HO/T project in the median, the "through" lanes have been closed off for some months at this point. To help reduce the impact of cutting the capacity in half, the outside C/D lanes have temporarily been expanded to three lanes.

Overall, the capacity of the highway in the area has been reduced, but looking solely at the C/D lanes, it's been temporarily widened from 2 to 3 lanes.

Similarly, in the eastbound (pointing west) direction, at some point around a year ago, the typical 3 lane roadway had its lines shifted due to construction, however due to a major flaw, a small section magically was striped as 4 lanes for a good 1/4 mile, only for the "middle two" lanes to magically converge back into one with no notice. I witnessed a few near misses here personally due to people thinking there's an added lane to then only get squished right back down. It was corrected fairly quickly, however.

sprjus4

At the junction of US-70 Bypass / I-795 in Goldsboro, NC, the flyover ramp from I-795 South to US-70 Bypass East was initially striped as two lanes when it opened about a decade ago, but was restriped to a single lane a few years later.

Similarly, I-40 West was widened from 2 to 3 lanes (to then just reduce back to 2 lanes past its merge) at the US-70 Bypass junction when the bypass was constructed in the mid 2000s, though it was restriped a few years later to simply maintain 2 lanes with no added lane situation. This situation is moot now, however, since I-40 is currently being expanded to 8 lanes (4 each way) in this area, along with the interchange being completely reconstructed to accommodate the construction of the NC-540 Outer Beltway.

Scott5114

I-240 between I-44 and I-35 in south Oklahoma City is just a succession of these.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

on_wisconsin

"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Road Hog

There was a big one in Gainesville, TX southbound I-35 I damn near wrecked out on. Two exits a quarter-mile apart, was exiting the second one and merged into the accel lane off the first exit thinking it was a continuation, as so many lanes in DFW are. Practically broke my tie rod trying to get back onto the main lane when that ended and the decel lane I was wanting started 100 yards further up.

CapeCodder

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 22, 2021, 12:26:29 AM
Sike Lanes: Those times when a lane gets added just for it to be removed. (I feel like this could actually be a legitimate thread)

MO 370 bridge over the Missouri River - Temporary widened to 8 lanes when the new WB I-70 bridge was under construction to the south in 2012-2013, reverted back to 6 lanes when it was finished.

I-270 SB to I-44 EB loop ramp - Temporary widened to 2 lanes in 2008-2009, and revered back to a single lane later on. I don't know the reason why, all I know is that it happened.

The second example stemmed from the I-64/US 40 rebuild.

Revive 755

Quote from: CapeCodder on October 24, 2021, 09:06:25 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on October 22, 2021, 12:26:29 AM

The second example stemmed from the I-64/US 40 rebuild.

Yes - to do the two lane loop ramp, the ramp from EB I-44 to EB MO 366 had to be closed.  There was also an extra lane striped on I-44 during this time.

Tom958

Quote from: Road Hog on October 23, 2021, 02:07:50 AM
There was a big one in Gainesville, TX southbound I-35 I damn near wrecked out on. Two exits a quarter-mile apart, was exiting the second one and merged into the accel lane off the first exit thinking it was a continuation, as so many lanes in DFW are. Practically broke my tie rod trying to get back onto the main lane when that ended and the decel lane I was wanting started 100 yards further up.

It's hard to fight the reflex, but sometimes it's better to suck it up, take the wrong exit, and know better next time.

formulanone

Isn't the word spelled "psych"?

(Then again, sine salads are a thing.)

triplemultiplex

Quote from: formulanone on October 25, 2021, 07:27:54 AM

In this context, it would be "syke", per 90's slang. ;)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

formulanone

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 27, 2021, 04:45:03 PM
Quote from: formulanone on October 25, 2021, 07:27:54 AM

In this context, it would be "syke", per 90's slang. ;)

We said it the 1980s, too...

(Never was quite sure how to spell it...etymology of would seem to be from the word "psychological".)

Bickendan

The last three of the four passing lanes on OR 6 going west.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.