AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Illinois notes  (Read 269420 times)

edwaleni

• Last Login: July 28, 2021, 11:53:23 PM
Re: Illinois notes
« Reply #2000 on: June 22, 2021, 09:58:43 AM »

Sometime ago in this thread we had several posts about the idea of IDOT duplicating ISHTA efforts to use LED's for ramp lighting to save energy and cut costs.

In my recent use of I-72 between Champaign and Decatur and subsequently the use of US-51 from Decatur to Pana, I did notice that that district has started to put LED fixtures to good use.

Hopefully the email to consider it a couple years ago resonated well in IDOT brass or at least with the District leads.

Keep going Illinois! With your roads budgets separated now, every dollar saved here goes to better work in the future.

When I was at IDOT, around 2001 we spec'd LEDs for bridge navigation lights (the red and green clearance marker lights) on one of our projects, hoping to save on bulb changing costs. At the time they were fairly expensive, like $1,000 a unit. 20 years later, IDOT just opened up the IL 178 bridge in Utica (a project I was project manager for), and everything is LED, including the navigation lights, roadway lighting, and some decorative lights along a parallel pedestrian/bike trail.

Today LEDs are becoming the defacto standard elsewhere, including home lighting, and naturally the price came down as they began to be mass produced on today's scale. It was only a matter of time. Hopefully the suggestion was something they had considered, and looked at what ISTHA and the other states were doing.

FWIW: US-51 south of Decatur was pretty dead. Of course my line of sight was only a hour on a Saturday, not a typical M-F workday. Not so much a criticism but an observation, my issue with 4 lane freeways without limited access are the number of accidents at rural crossings. This trip was no exception as I was diverted off US-51 to old US-51 at Assumption because a truck t-boned what appeared to be a camper attempting to pull out.

Rick Powell

• Last Login: Today at 12:58:01 AM
« Reply #2001 on: June 22, 2021, 11:25:53 AM »

Not so much a criticism but an observation, my issue with 4 lane freeways without limited access are the number of accidents at rural crossings. This trip was no exception as I was diverted off US-51 to old US-51 at Assumption because a truck t-boned what appeared to be a camper attempting to pull out.

Reminds me of my days on the original construction on I-55 while the US 66 expressway was still in place. The intersection of IL 47 and US 66 in Dwight was the first traffic light out of Chicago. Even with flashing "signal ahead" warning signs, it was the scene of more than a few fatal and severe injuries. There was at least one stoplight in most of the little towns along the route, and traffic zooming by at 70 mph in between them, as well as all the minor intersections where it was sometimes hard to get a break in oncoming traffic to get across and people would shoot through there, not a great recipe for traffic safety.

edwaleni

« Reply #2002 on: June 23, 2021, 12:41:18 AM »

Not so much a criticism but an observation, my issue with 4 lane freeways without limited access are the number of accidents at rural crossings. This trip was no exception as I was diverted off US-51 to old US-51 at Assumption because a truck t-boned what appeared to be a camper attempting to pull out.

Reminds me of my days on the original construction on I-55 while the US 66 expressway was still in place. The intersection of IL 47 and US 66 in Dwight was the first traffic light out of Chicago. Even with flashing "signal ahead" warning signs, it was the scene of more than a few fatal and severe injuries. There was at least one stoplight in most of the little towns along the route, and traffic zooming by at 70 mph in between them, as well as all the minor intersections where it was sometimes hard to get a break in oncoming traffic to get across and people would shoot through there, not a great recipe for traffic safety.

Yes, I do remember that light at Dwight.  There was another one at McLean (in front of the Dixie) and Atlanta during those US-66 to I-55 days. Can't tell you how many times I drove that route during the transition years.

Revive 755

• Last Login: July 27, 2021, 10:03:57 PM
« Reply #2003 on: July 17, 2021, 11:18:35 AM »

IDOT has placed some information online for redoing I-270:

* The IL 3 interchange gets further downgraded to a folded diamond with a design that resembles the IL 53 interchange with IL 62/Algonquin Road in Schaumburg (the merging of dual lefts down to a single lane works so well for EB IL 62 to SB IL 53  :banghead:)

* The signing plans in the Access Justification Report (larger file) show the secondary control cities of St. Charles and Effingham going away.

There are also plans to replace the I-57/IL 16 cloverleaf with a "raindrop diamond/dumbbell interchangehttps://idot.illinois.gov/projects/I-57-IL-16-Interchange-Reconstruction.html

Crash_It

• Last Login: Today at 12:58:12 AM
« Reply #2004 on: July 17, 2021, 04:46:08 PM »

IDOT has placed some information online for redoing I-270:

I'd argue that alot of the congestion and crash issues are caused as a result of trucks just randomly cutting off motorists to pass another truck that was only going marginally slower (for example 59mph vs 58mph). I swear , I cannot have one totally smooth drive downstate and back without this happening.

edwaleni

« Reply #2005 on: July 17, 2021, 05:13:22 PM »

My father totalled his car as he came over the new Chain of Rocks bridge (I-270) over the canal. A truck had spun out just before the Mississippi River Bridge and traffic came to sudden halt.  As he came over the arch of the bridge, he got surprised by the sudden stopped traffic and rear ended someone.

I have seen lots of near misses at the same location in the winter time.

ChiMilNet

• Last Login: July 28, 2021, 11:45:05 AM
    • ChiMil Photos
« Reply #2006 on: July 25, 2021, 10:02:24 PM »

OK, this weekend, as I was driving I-290 (IKE Expressway) to and from Downtown Chicago, I had to wonder, why the heck doesn't IDOT have the ramp meters going during the weekend??? The level of traffic honestly approaches that of during the week, especially now as people honestly are avoiding the Metra and CTA for the most part. It seems that having these meters going may help manage the level of traffic entering the expressway, especially through that absolutely horrible stretch in Oak Park. Vision test tells me it would have to help at least somewhat. I imagine on I-90 (Kennedy), it would help through the section on the far NW Side there as well. I am just curious maybe if anyone else has noticed that, and better yet, how I can bring this idea to someone's attention at IDOT?

JoePCool14

• I'm surrounded by IDiOTs.

• Last Login: Today at 12:21:31 AM
« Reply #2007 on: July 25, 2021, 10:07:25 PM »

OK, this weekend, as I was driving I-290 (IKE Expressway) to and from Downtown Chicago, I had to wonder, why the heck doesn't IDOT have the ramp meters going during the weekend??? The level of traffic honestly approaches that of during the week, especially now as people honestly are avoiding the Metra and CTA for the most part. It seems that having these meters going may help manage the level of traffic entering the expressway, especially through that absolutely horrible stretch in Oak Park. Vision test tells me it would have to help at least somewhat. I imagine on I-90 (Kennedy), it would help through the section on the far NW Side there as well. I am just curious maybe if anyone else has noticed that, and better yet, how I can bring this idea to someone's attention at IDOT?

Try this page here: https://apps.dot.illinois.gov/WER/?from=1

I've used that once before to get signage fixed. It's just a general contact form.

IDOT probably doesn't monitor the traffic actively enough to have the meters kick in without manually switching them on. It would be a good idea if they implemented that, assuming they don't.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.

ChiMilNet

• ChiMil Photos
« Reply #2008 on: July 25, 2021, 11:00:06 PM »

I've used that once before to get signage fixed. It's just a general contact form.

IDOT probably doesn't monitor the traffic actively enough to have the meters kick in without manually switching them on. It would be a good idea if they implemented that, assuming they don't.
Well, I sent them a note, so we'll see if I get any response. Thanks for the info. It is rather surprising that they wouldn't monitor that more closely, especially since just about anyone coming to and from Chicago on the weekend is well aware of the traffic issues that plague just about all the expressways in and out and city.

Crash_It

• Last Login: Today at 12:58:12 AM
« Reply #2009 on: July 26, 2021, 03:59:28 PM »

Well, I sent them a note, so we'll see if I get any response. Thanks for the info. It is rather surprising that they wouldn't monitor that more closely, especially since just about anyone coming to and from Chicago on the weekend is well aware of the traffic issues that plague just about all the expressways in and out and city.

It does help, I recently did that to a district downstate about some signage that was confusing drivers, in short they listened and changed the signage. Now, I haven't noticed anyone stopping at that intersection anymore the last couple times I've been down there.

ChiMilNet

• ChiMil Photos
« Reply #2010 on: July 26, 2021, 04:08:59 PM »

It does help, I recently did that to a district downstate about some signage that was confusing drivers, in short they listened and changed the signage. Now, I haven't noticed anyone stopping at that intersection anymore the last couple times I've been down there.

Well, here's hoping for the same luck on I-290!

JoePCool14

• I'm surrounded by IDiOTs.

• Last Login: Today at 12:21:31 AM
« Reply #2011 on: July 26, 2021, 08:26:49 PM »

That's a pretty decent fix that IDOT made. I would've printed "TURN RIGHT WITHOUT STOPPING" or "RIGHT TURNS DO NOT STOP" and combined it with this:

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.