News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Quote from: GeekJedi on June 17, 2015, 07:45:53 PM
From the looks of it, WisDOT simply opted to replace pretty much all the 65MPH zones with 70MPH zones, without "transitions" from 70 -> 65 -> 55. It actually makes more sense this way, IMHO.
If Appleton and GB got 70s I need to check out Mad-town, Point and Wausau.  I have a feeling there's no drops there either.  La Crosse is a construction zone so it won't be getting a boost - hopefully yet.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

GeekJedi

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 17, 2015, 08:55:09 PM
From the looks of it, WisDOT simply opted to replace pretty much all the 65MPH zones with 70MPH zones, without "transitions" from 70 -> 65 -> 55. It actually makes more sense this way, IMHO.
If Appleton and GB got 70s I need to check out Mad-town, Point and Wausau.  I have a feeling there's no drops there either.  La Crosse is a construction zone so it won't be getting a boost - hopefully yet.

I was in Madtown today. 94W is 70 to the Badger Interchange, and 39/90 is 70 through the area with no reduction.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

SSOWorld

Quote from: GeekJedi on June 17, 2015, 09:33:11 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on June 17, 2015, 08:55:09 PM

I was in Madtown today. 94W is 70 to the Badger Interchange, and 39/90 is 70 through the area with no reduction.
Well that settles it - I'm pretty sure Point's 70 all the way too. Wausau's marred by construction still as they upgrade the freeway at both ends of Business 51.  WisDOT pretty much scrapped their plan of speed reductions - as you said.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

GeekJedi

I also verified this morning that I-43 going north is 70 all the way to the Milwaukee County line instead of WI 164, which was the original plan. Kudos to WisDOT for making that change. It's much easier to understand "all Interstates that were 65 are now 70" instead of "they're 70 until here, then 65 until here." It's a pretty much common sense decision.

Roadguy

Looks like right now the assembly and senate have agreed to a $800 million dollar reduction in bonding over the next 2 years for transportation. 
http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/gop-leaders-in-legislature-squabble-about-budget-impasse-b99522269z1-308205131.html
It will be interesting to see how the people and politicians react when they actually get a list of projects across the state that would be postponed or even cut.  This amount is significant enough that current contracts under construction would be affected.  Because of this WisDOT would have to get contractors to agree through change order a delay in completion or claims would be submitted (Both will cost the state money).  It will be interesting to watch how this all plays out (A LOT of competing interests and priorities for many from the WTBA, Unions, residents, and legislators).

For others replying to this, I ask for this discussion to not to turn into a negative finger pointing politics discussion but rather let's focus on the potential effects (including listing projects you may think would get postponed or cut) due to this reduction in funding.

DaBigE

Quote from: Roadguy on June 19, 2015, 12:46:41 AM
Looks like right now the assembly and senate have agreed to a $800 million dollar reduction in bonding over the next 2 years for transportation. 
http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/gop-leaders-in-legislature-squabble-about-budget-impasse-b99522269z1-308205131.html
It will be interesting to see how the people and politicians react when they actually get a list of projects across the state that would be postponed or even cut.  This amount is significant enough that current contracts under construction would be affected.  Because of this WisDOT would have to get contractors to agree through change order a delay in completion or claims would be submitted (Both will cost the state money).  It will be interesting to watch how this all plays out (A LOT of competing interests and priorities for many from the WTBA, Unions, residents, and legislators).

For others replying to this, I ask for this discussion to not to turn into a negative finger pointing politics discussion but rather let's focus on the potential effects (including listing projects you may think would get postponed or cut) due to this reduction in funding.

A lot of us (myself included, in addition to the rest of my office and other colleagues with other firms) are watching all of this with great interest/nervousness. Many don't realize how big of an impact this will have across the state. It's not just postponing maintenance or other road projects...this trickles down much further, to the construction crews and design engineers. Cutting projects => less work to be done => less workers needed => layoffs.

One of the projects rumored to be ground to a halt is the I-39 expansion between Illinois and Madison. Supposedly, the Zoo Interchange would continue.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

midwesternroadguy

One project that might be low-hanging fruit to cut would be the expansion of STH 23 between Fond du Lac and Plymouth.  As mentioned on the forum already, it may be undergoing further environmental review which would push back its construction schedule.

DaBigE

Projects that are all but guaranteed not to get cut are any with HSIP funding.

Rothman

Quote from: DaBigE on June 19, 2015, 09:57:42 AM
Projects that are all but guaranteed not to get cut are any with HSIP funding.

What's strange about that is that FHWA seems to be cracking down on the use of HSIP in terms of making certain projects meet their definition of safety projects.  At least in NY, using HSIP has actually been difficult historically, given the size of the apportionment and the size of the actual safety needs -- needed safety projects would be prohibitively expensive and so a more "puzzle piece" approach has traditionally been taken (a lot of HSIP projects also get supplemented by other fund sources).  I'm scratching my head over my perception of FHWA, since if NY's having trouble using it, why make it harder?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SSOWorld

A standard Wisconsin "Speed Limit 70" sign on the original triple Interstate.

[/cue yawns]

New speed limit approved in WI by Scott O, on Flickr
Scott O.

Raise your what?

jwags

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 20, 2015, 10:26:09 PM

[/cue yawns]

Strange thing about this particular sign is this was part of an area that wasn't originally going to be signed at 70.

SSOWorld

Quote from: jwags on June 20, 2015, 10:29:13 PM

[/cue yawns]

Strange thing about this particular sign is this was part of an area that wasn't originally going to be signed at 70.
Yea, WisDOT completely scrapped plans to keep any 65 zones on Interstates.  Even Milwaukee is 70 up to the original 55 zones. NOTE: Construction zones have not gotten new signs yet (Menomonee Falls (41), La Crosse (90), Wausau (39), Appleton/Neenah (41), Green Bay (41) to name a few. They should be getting the signs after the work zone limits are no longer needed.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

jwags

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 20, 2015, 10:31:51 PM
Quote from: jwags on June 20, 2015, 10:29:13 PM

[/cue yawns]

Yea, WisDOT completely scrapped plans to keep any 65 zones on Interstates.  Even Milwaukee is 70 up to the original 55 zones. NOTE: Construction zones have not gotten new signs yet (Menomonee Falls (41), La Crosse (90), Wausau (39), Appleton/Neenah (41), Green Bay (41) to name a few. They should be getting the signs after the work zone limits are no longer needed.

Yeah. I noticed that the other day driving westbound towards Madison. Patiently waiting the slowdown to 65 which never happened. It finally hit me that 65 is gone when I got on 39/90 SB/EB and I saw a 70 sign. It makes perfect sense what they did.

JREwing78

What's awesome is that the signs are consistent! Same exact sign everywhere, mounted the exact same way. The obsessive-compulsive side of me approves.

Minor complaint: the location of the lower mounting bolts is right in the black text of the 70 numerals. The fact that I notice it and it bugs me may say more about me than the signs themselves.

Driving I-39/90 seems considerably calmer the past few days; the slow drivers appear more willing to yield the fast lane than usual.

SSOWorld

Quote from: JREwing78 on June 20, 2015, 11:34:03 PM
What's awesome is that the signs are consistent! Same exact sign everywhere, mounted the exact same way. The obsessive-compulsive side of me approves.

Minor complaint: the location of the lower mounting bolts is right in the black text of the 70 numerals. The fact that I notice it and it bugs me may say more about me than the signs themselves.

Driving I-39/90 seems considerably calmer the past few days; the slow drivers appear more willing to yield the fast lane than usual.
I noticed the bolt placement as well.

To be honest, the majority of traffic was already traveling at 75 to 80 so kicking up the limit does relieve the stress and calm traffic, but not completely - I've ran into a few slow-pokes (I don't count semis due to their restrictions)
Scott O.

Raise your what?

DaBigE

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 20, 2015, 11:51:24 PM
Quote from: JREwing78 on June 20, 2015, 11:34:03 PM

I noticed the bolt placement as well.

To be honest, the majority of traffic was already traveling at 75 to 80 so kicking up the limit does relieve the stress and calm traffic, but not completely - I've ran into a few slow-pokes (I don't count semis due to their restrictions)

I noticed the same thing on my way to Milwaukee from Madison earlier Saturday. However, that notion seemed to disappear the closer we got to Milwaukee County. The Zoo Interchange was certainly living up to its name.

invincor

I drove on US 53 near Chippewa Falls on Saturday.  That's still signed at 65 mph.

GeekJedi

I'm pretty certain that at least for now, 70MPH zones will be Interstate-signed routes only.

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone think electronic tolling will ever come to Wisconsin? I'd support it for the most congested routes, but I may be in the minority.

peterj920

I see the Wis DOT website was redesigned over the weekend.  I like the older format better, it was simpler to view and the recent news items are gone.  Thoughts?

DaBigE

Quote from: peterj920 on June 22, 2015, 03:27:58 PM
I see the Wis DOT website was redesigned over the weekend.  I like the older format better, it was simpler to view and the recent news items are gone.  Thoughts?

I saw the warning last week about this happening... As of right now, it's a HUGE PITA for me, as over half of my links no longer work :banghead: :banghead:  Also doesn't help that their search function returns results that have old/dead links while things that should show up, don't.

On the plus side, you no longer need a login to access the standard sign plate designs...once you find them.

SEWIGuy

As with most redesigns, no one like them to start, but once you get used to it, it will be fine.

SSOWorld

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 22, 2015, 03:09:44 PM
Does anyone think electronic tolling will ever come to Wisconsin? I'd support it for the most congested routes, but I may be in the minority.
Hard to tell, I don't think that the state well ever adopt tolls unless they were in dire straits with finances and a road had to be built between point A and point B - can you name a scenario? I can't.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

skluth

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 22, 2015, 07:29:37 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 22, 2015, 03:09:44 PM
Hard to tell, I don't think that the state well ever adopt tolls unless they were in dire straits with finances and a road had to be built between point A and point B - can you name a scenario? I can't.
I don't think toll roads are even legal in Wisconsin. That was what we were all told when I was growing up. I could see it for a south bypass of Madison from Verona to I-39/90. It would take traffic off the Beltline and possibly satisfy those locals who would otherwise be against it.  A toll is likely the only way one gets built. I'm not sure traffic counts could justify it though. Others here probably know more about that.

colinstu

Everyone here seems opposed to tolling. See it as something that the "lower" people of Chicago do... corrupt and trying to earn every penny from drivers. Every time it's brought up, it's knocked down right away. I don't see it ever happening. Not any time soon.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.