News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMAN_WiS&S

Did you get to check out the vertical monotone/horizontal trombone combo at I94&WI37? Or the new signals on River Prairie Dr. In Altoona? Also, Claremont ave went through some slight changes recently. At Clairemont ave/North crossing, all but one approach has vertically mounted signals on trombone arms, on on the right for the right lane, and one backwards on the left for the left lane. Also, all of the green straight arrows were replaced with green balls. You are correct about the fact that we have almost every combo in the state. There are Right turn FYA's at the SPUI for Claremont ave/US53 for the southbound traffic coming off of 53 going w on Claremont, as well as right turn FYA's at 10th st & Claremont ave/US 12 going into Altoona for the 10th st turning traffic. Not sure what the purpose is.
Youtube, Twitter, Flickr Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Instagram username: jman.wissotasirens-signals

I am not an official representative or spokesperson for WisDOT. Any views or opinions expressed are purely my own based on my work experiences and do not represent WisDOTs views or opinions.

DaBigE

Quote from: peterj920 on September 05, 2015, 06:36:03 AM
Drove through Eau Claire today, and they are officially getting rid of the stop bar traffic signal.

Source?

On Brackett Ave, the new signals omit them, along with the other signals that were installed this year.

Omit is a better way of putting it. Though it hasn't been updated in a while, the signal design manual still requires it. I just rode through many of reconstructed signalized intersections around the Zoo interchange yesterday, and while there were a handful that had approaches without them, the majority had them.

I'll try to post a few photos from my trip later.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

peterj920

Quote from: DaBigE on September 13, 2015, 03:41:49 PM
Drove through Eau Claire today, and they are officially getting rid of the stop bar traffic signal.

Source?

On Brackett Ave, the new signals omit them, along with the other signals that were installed this year.

Omit is a better way of putting it. Though it hasn't been updated in a while, the signal design manual still requires it. I just rode through many of reconstructed signalized intersections around the Zoo interchange yesterday, and while there were a handful that had approaches without them, the majority had them.

All of the new traffic signals installed this year do not have the stop bar signal.  I did check out the River Prairie Dr area, and the off ramps have the trombone arms, while the the new intersections into Woodmans have monotubes.  I did check out the I-94/Wis 37 interchange and all I saw were monotubes installed on Wis 37, and pole mounted signals for traffic coming off of I-94.  It's evident by all of the new signals installed by the city of Eau Claire that they are getting rid of stop bar traffic signals, and are using dog house signals for intersections that have a left turn and straight lane.  I also saw a new BGS in clearview at the Business 53/US 12 interchange southbound.  The city of Eau Claire also exclusively uses clearview font for all of their signs.  However, the old button copy BGS' northbound on Business 53 still stand at the US 12 interchange, and there is one that says "North 53," and that has not been modified to say Business 53.  Also, most of the Business 53 signs were replaced by ALT 53, but the road is still considered Bus 53.  On US 12, there were 2 giant signs that pointed to Business 53 and Alt 53 on ramp entrance.  Another interesting observation on US 53 is that a lot of the Route Marker signs on the BGS' are faded and already need to be replaced driving southbound.  The Old High C&NW Bridge is also open to bike and pedestrian traffic.  The views are great and can be accessed off of 1st Street and I recommend a walk across it if you're in the area.   

DaBigE

Please pardon the quality...cell-phone photos from the passenger seat  :meh:

Wis 100 (Mayfair Rd) at Watertown Plank Rd

No near right-side signal for Wis 100, but they did place them for Watertown Plank. The pattern on the corridor seemed to have them for side streets, but generally not for thru-traffic on Wis 100.

Wis 100 (Mayfair Rd) at Wisconsin Ave

Wis 100 (Mayfair Rd) at US 18 (Bluemound Rd)

Note the atypical high-mount right-turn signal

Additional photos from my trip

DaBigE

Quote from: peterj920 on September 13, 2015, 07:48:54 PM

Source?

All of the new traffic signals installed this year do not have the stop bar signal.  I did check out the River Prairie Dr area, and the off ramps have the trombone arms, while the the new intersections into Woodmans have monotubes.  I did check out the I-94/Wis 37 interchange and all I saw were monotubes installed on Wis 37, and pole mounted signals for traffic coming off of I-94.  It's evident by all of the new signals installed by the city of Eau Claire that they are getting rid of stop bar traffic signals, and are using dog house signals for intersections that have a left turn and straight lane.

You missed the point of my question. Your earlier post said that "they are officially getting rid of the stop bar traffic signal." I was wondering if you heard this officially from the city or if the statement observationally-based.

JMAN_WiS&S

All of the new traffic signals installed this year do not have the stop bar signal.  I did check out the River Prairie Dr area, and the off ramps have the trombone arms, while the the new intersections into Woodmans have monotubes.  I did check out the I-94/Wis 37 interchange and all I saw were monotubes installed on Wis 37, and pole mounted signals for traffic coming off of I-94.  It's evident by all of the new signals installed by the city of Eau Claire that they are getting rid of stop bar traffic signals, and are using dog house signals for intersections that have a left turn and straight lane.  I also saw a new BGS in clearview at the Business 53/US 12 interchange southbound.  The city of Eau Claire also exclusively uses clearview font for all of their signs.  However, the old button copy BGS' northbound on Business 53 still stand at the US 12 interchange, and there is one that says "North 53," and that has not been modified to say Business 53.  Also, most of the Business 53 signs were replaced by ALT 53, but the road is still considered Bus 53.  On US 12, there were 2 giant signs that pointed to Business 53 and Alt 53 on ramp entrance.  Another interesting observation on US 53 is that a lot of the Route Marker signs on the BGS' are faded and already need to be replaced driving southbound.  The Old High C&NW Bridge is also open to bike and pedestrian traffic.  The views are great and can be accessed off of 1st Street and I recommend a walk across it if you're in the area.
[/quote]
The Monotube/Trombone combo is actually on 37 and I94 for the eastbound onramp, eastbound offramp and the Road for the construction company has a horizontally mounted trombone. I did notice recently that the signs are faded, and thought that was weird. And yes I know very much about that high bridge, as I live less than a mile from it and am frequently checking the progress of the rest of the trail.

I am not an official representative or spokesperson for WisDOT. Any views or opinions expressed are purely my own based on my work experiences and do not represent WisDOTs views or opinions.

peterj920

Quote from: DaBigE on September 13, 2015, 08:05:31 PM
Quote from: peterj920 on September 13, 2015, 07:48:54 PM

Source?

All of the new traffic signals installed this year do not have the stop bar signal.  I did check out the River Prairie Dr area, and the off ramps have the trombone arms, while the the new intersections into Woodmans have monotubes.  I did check out the I-94/Wis 37 interchange and all I saw were monotubes installed on Wis 37, and pole mounted signals for traffic coming off of I-94.  It's evident by all of the new signals installed by the city of Eau Claire that they are getting rid of stop bar traffic signals, and are using dog house signals for intersections that have a left turn and straight lane.

You missed the point of my question. Your earlier post said that "they are officially getting rid of the stop bar traffic signal." I was wondering if you heard this officially from the city or if the statement observationally-based.

Observationally based.  They installed 6 new traffic signals and all 6 did not have a stop bar signal.  This only applies to the City of Eau Claire.  The signals in Altoona still have the stop bar signal.  There probably won't be any new signals installed until the Water Street Bridge is rebuilt next year (most main arteries are in great shape after Brackett Ave was reconstructed, could maybe reconstruct State St), guess the verdict will be out until the signals at Water Street and 1st Ave are replaced.  They probably will be since the signals at 1st Ave and Lake Street were replaced when that bridge went under a bridge rehab project (to prepare for extra traffic from the Water St. Bridge closure.)  I have no idea if any other municipality will follow suit, all other cities I've visited still have the stop bar signal.  Oneida St in Appleton is being reconstructed at the Skyline Bridge and the intersection with Prospect Ave will have the stop bar signal, but monotubes will replace the trombone overheads. 

colinstu

What do you guys mean by 'stop bar signal'?

JMAN_WiS&S

Quote from: colinstu on September 14, 2015, 04:14:47 PM
The pole mounted signal on the close right side of the intersection, right next to the stop line on the ground.

peterj920

Quote from: JMAN12343610 on September 14, 2015, 05:16:24 PM
Quote from: colinstu on September 14, 2015, 04:14:47 PM
The pole mounted signal on the close right side of the intersection, right next to the stop line on the ground.

Signal is unique to Wisconsin for the most part and was required by the state, but must not be now if Eau Claire is opting not to put signals there.  The Mason St. and Ashland Ave Interchange doesn't have them at the 2nd ramp after crossing under Mason St, but I think the only reason that they weren't installed there is because the ramps are very close together.  Other new signal installations in Green Bay still include them.  Illinois uses them in a lot of their intersections, and have seen them in California and Arizona.  Otherwise, most states don't put a signal at the stop bar. 

colinstu

Where do other states put this signal? xD This all seems normal to me

Big John

Quote from: peterj920 on September 14, 2015, 05:44:31 PM

The Mason St. and Ashland Ave Interchange doesn't have them at the 2nd ramp after crossing under Mason St, but I think the only reason that they weren't installed there is because the ramps are very close together. 
Yes.  When the bridge was first opened in 1973, there were near-side stop bar signals at that interchange.  One was removed almost immediately (NB near right) and the others (including in the median) were removed in 1983.  Reason was they were causing confusion with the signals before them.

One other case in Green Bay was on Baird St. and Main St.  For a long time there was no right side stop-bar signal for NB traffic, though there was one in the median.  There is no close-by intersection so its omission was a mystery.  But they have since put in the stop-bar signal on the right side.

Big John

Quote from: colinstu on September 14, 2015, 05:53:31 PM
Most states have their typical signal installations on the rear side above the street or an overhead rear-side signal(s) and a pole-mounted rear-side signal, or on a diagonal wire over the intersection.

peterj920

Quote from: Big John on September 14, 2015, 05:58:58 PM
Quote from: peterj920 on September 14, 2015, 05:44:31 PM

The Mason St. and Ashland Ave Interchange doesn't have them at the 2nd ramp after crossing under Mason St, but I think the only reason that they weren't installed there is because the ramps are very close together. 
Yes.  When the bridge was first opened in 1973, there were near-side stop bar signals at that interchange.  One was removed almost immediately (NB near right) and the others (including in the median) were removed in 1983.  Reason was they were causing confusion with the signals before them.

One other case in Green Bay was on Baird St. and Main St.  For a long time there was no right side stop-bar signal for NB traffic, though there was one in the median.  There is no close-by intersection so its omission was a mystery.  But they have since put in the stop-bar signal on the right side.

I didn't even notice that the stop bar signals were missing from that interchange until the signals were replaced recently.  I looked at streetview to look at the old configuration and you could tell that they were there at one point, but missing.  It's also surprising that there weren't any overhead signals for the offramps.  There are now with 3 overhead signals there.  Interesting that the interchange with Monroe St on the other side of the river has stop bar mounted signals.  For many years, the ramp from East Mason to Monroe St only merged north on Monroe (South Monroe Traffic exited off on Madison St and turned right on Chicago to meet with Monroe), and there wasn't a signal there.  Sometime in the late 90's, the ramp was reconfigured to allow the ramp to turn south on Monroe, signals were added, and they were placed closer than at the Ashland Interchange.  Signals were just replaced there and the stop bar signals were kept after the reconstruction.   The Main/Baird St intersection also has a unique overhead signal hanging right behind the westbound overhead signal for eastbound traffic because of a curve where the buildings limit the distance that the signals can be seen that are normally placed. 

Roadguy

Quote from: Big John on September 14, 2015, 06:02:59 PM
Most states have their typical signal installations on the rear side above the street or an overhead rear-side signal(s) and a pole-mounted rear-side signal, or on a diagonal wire over the intersection.

The stop bar signal (near right) is a waste of installation and operating costs now that the state, counties, and cities are converting to monotubes for installations.  The monotubes with the multiple heads and better visibility along with the fact they are installed to not be knocked down makes the stop bar signal un-needed.  It made sense to have it back in the days of the trombone installations as knockdowns of the mast meant only the stop bar and median signal (or far left remained).  Also the trombones with the horizontal signal heads have less visibility.

As for span wires :banghead: I cannot believe states like Michigan use them for standard installations.  Every span wire signal we have put in we purposely have tried to take as as soon as possible because the extra maintenance required with them is a pain in the butt.

peterj920

Quote from: Roadguy on September 16, 2015, 08:11:10 AM
Quote from: Big John on September 14, 2015, 06:02:59 PM

The stop bar signal (near right) is a waste of installation and operating costs now that the state, counties, and cities are converting to monotubes for installations.  The monotubes with the multiple heads and better visibility along with the fact they are installed to not be knocked down makes the stop bar signal un-needed.  It made sense to have it back in the days of the trombone installations as knockdowns of the mast meant only the stop bar and median signal (or far left remained).  Also the trombones with the horizontal signal heads have less visibility.

As for span wires :banghead: I cannot believe states like Michigan use them for standard installations.  Every span wire signal we have put in we purposely have tried to take as as soon as possible because the extra maintenance required with them is a pain in the butt.

I have seen instances where knocked down signals in the median cause problems that the monotube installations fix.  In Green Bay, I was at an intersection that had 2 signals installed in the median along Mason St.  The one on the far side of the intersection was knocked down, and the only light that was up was the light at the stop bar in the median.  There was a green arrow, and the driver did not go.  With the light on the far side down, the driver couldn't see the green arrow because the signal was posted slightly behind the stop line, and the driver was ahead of the light.  I here's a picture of the intersection. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.5241399,-88.08901,3a,90y,266.76h,71.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqthgFsKG9gliN5tZA44nkw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Big John

^^ Those signals were orignally installed by WisDOT in 1987.  Control of that section of road was transferred to the city around 1993.  Most of the signal heads except those on the trombone arms had been replaced since.  But with the city's early adaptation of monotube arms, I am a bit surprised that they had not converted these intersection to those.

peterj920

A lot of intersections had signals replaced but I'm surprised also that the signals on Mason St west of I-41 haven't been replaced either.  The signals on Main St east of Mason St already had monotubes with horizontal overheads, now they were replaced with new monotubes and there are now 3 veritcal signalheads with flashing yellow lights.  Those intersections aren't nearly as busy as the ones on W Mason.  At the intersetions of Mason&Challenger, Mason&Webster, and Packerland&West Point, the horizontal overhead signals were remounted to be vertical on existing poles.  I think at Challenger, the remounts were done because the signals at I-43 and Ontario are vertical, and the signals were modified at Packerland&West Point because of the roads being used for alternates during I-41 construction.  Otherwise, it seems like the City of Green Bay is replacing and modifying signals at random.

TriCountyExpressway

I was driving on I-41 South & US 10 West today and noticed that the signs for Outagamie County Regional Airport (at the College Ave./County Road CA and County Road CB exits, respectively) have been replaced with "Appleton Int'l. Airport" markings.

The airport changed names last month, coinciding with its 50th anniversary, and these are the first road signs I've seen reflecting the change.

mgk920

Quote from: TriCountyExpressway on September 17, 2015, 07:56:54 PM
I was driving on I-41 South & US 10 West today and noticed that the signs for Outagamie County Regional Airport (at the College Ave./County Road CA and County Road CB exits, respectively) have been replaced with "Appleton Int'l. Airport" markings.

The airport changed names last month, coinciding with its 50th anniversary, and these are the first road signs I've seen reflecting the change.

I noticed them, too, while driving around today, including WisDOT BGSes on I-41.  The airport's code remains the same - 'ATW'.

Have you seen the 'WI 41' sign on the EB approach to I-41 on Prospect Ave yet?

Mike

DaBigE

Quote from: TriCountyExpressway on September 17, 2015, 07:56:54 PM

So is this an international airport in name only, or is Appleton actually handling international flights? With Green Bay not that far away, I figured Appleton would remain a regional airport indefinitely. I figured Dane County Regional would go international before Appleton. [sarcasm]Especially with having an address of 4000 International Lane. :) [/sarcasm]

peterj920

There's a customs station that can handle small flights.  20 passengers is the maximum an incoming international flight can have.  Cargo planes can land also.  Gulfstream has a big facility at the airport and they wanted the designation so it would be easier for their jets to be serviced.  More information in this Post-Crescent Article:

http://www.postcrescent.com/story/money/companies/buzz/2015/09/01/buzz-international-airport-really/71536342/

triplemultiplex

Wow, "Appleton International Airport"? 
And some folks said promoting Highway 41 to an interstate was pointless.
:-D
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

mgk920

Quote from: peterj920 on September 18, 2015, 07:36:40 AM
There's a customs station that can handle small flights.  20 passengers is the maximum an incoming international flight can have.  Cargo planes can land also.  Gulfstream has a big facility at the airport and they wanted the designation so it would be easier for their jets to be serviced.  More information in this Post-Crescent Article:

http://www.postcrescent.com/story/money/companies/buzz/2015/09/01/buzz-international-airport-really/71536342/

I do see a lot of foreign-registered aircraft parked outside of the Gulfstream facilities on a regular basis.

Mike

peterj920

Quote from: mgk920 on September 19, 2015, 01:18:15 AM
Quote from: peterj920 on September 18, 2015, 07:36:40 AM

I do see a lot of foreign-registered aircraft parked outside of the Gulfstream facilities on a regular basis.

Mike

Before the international airport designation, they had to stop at another airport before going to Appleton.  With the customs station opening, they can fly direct and Gulfstream was helping push for the international airport status.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.