News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JREwing78

Quote from: DaBigE on October 24, 2013, 01:52:51 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on October 24, 2013, 12:50:33 PM
If I had the available cash, I'd add an additional lane in each direction from the Badger Interchange (I-39/90/94/WI 30) in Madison to the I-90/94 split at Tomah.

Mike

You want 4 lanes? It's already 3 from CTH N (IH94 east of the Badger) north to the IH39 interchange near Portage. I could see adding one from the IH39 split to Tomah, but I've never had any non-construction problems south of there until I got south of Madison

I suspect a freeway upgrade of Hwy 16 between Portage and I-94 near Waukesha would divert a sufficent amount of thru traffic on I-94 between Madison and Milwaukee, and on I-39/90/94 between Madison and Portage, to make a widening of both highways completely unnecessary. That's certainly in "Fictional Highways" territory though.

I could certainly see 4 lanes each way on I-39/90/94 becoming a useful upgrade in about 20 years, but I don't think we're there quite yet. The 4-laning of US-12 between the Dells and Madison will divert some of this traffic, but this alternate route is not sufficiently developed to make a large impact. The congestion on the Beltline in Madison would also reduce the usefulness of US-12 as an alternate route.

6-laning of I-90/94 between Portage and Tomah? That should be a no-brainer - it's absolutely needed. But I-39/90 south of Madison warrants the upgrade first.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: JREwing78 on October 21, 2013, 01:17:39 AM
Construction on the Hwy 16/26 expansion north of Watertown appears to be winding down for this year. Crews are working to put in place a relocated roadway (partially new alignment on the future NBD lanes, partially old alignment) in time for winter, and to allow the sections of old roadway crossing the new roadway's path to be obliterated.

Farther south on the Fort Atkinson to Milton stretch, crews are close to switching traffic to the future NBD lanes north of the Jefferson/Rock line, and on the future SBD lanes south of the line to County N. They have not yet set up the crossover needed to switch between the lanes, but that appears to be coming soon.

The traffic switch south of Fort Atkinson to County N occurred yesterday.

colinstu

New sign gantry and sign installed on I-43 for Green bay Ave / Capitol Dr exit.

Took a picture of the interesting (temporary) configuration... I suppose they're taking down the old gantry behind it?

GeekJedi

My guess is that there was probably a pull-through sign (or an advance sign for Atkinson Ave.) in the center years ago.  No need for the gantry for just an exit sign.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

Big John

Quote from: GeekJedi on November 04, 2013, 03:30:31 PM
No need for the gantry for just an exit sign.
Calling Georgia.

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

DaBigE

WisDOT's got a few more of those on the beltline in Madison:

WB Beltline east of USH 51
EB Beltline west of USH 51
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

SSOWorld

I've noticed that Arizona had put up their gantries with no signs in construction zones around the emerging Gateway Interchange and Loop 303/I-10 Interchange.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: DaBigE on November 05, 2013, 12:42:02 AM
WisDOT's got a few more of those on the beltline in Madison:

WB Beltline east of USH 51
EB Beltline west of USH 51

I do not recall what was on the WB one, but the EB one used to have a sign indicating that the far right lane was ending.  When this section of the Beltline first opened in 1988, for some reason they decided to go down to two lanes over the bridge to give traffic from US-51 a dedicated lane into which to enter.  It was a dumb idea that lasted only a few years though.  As you head east on Streetview, you can even see the pavement markings indicating a lane change prior to the bridge.

I believe that they also had a sign indicating the upcoming interchange with I-90 there too.

JREwing78

The Seminole Highway bridge over the Beltline in Madison is nearly completed.

Photos: Seminole Highway bridge ready to open
http://host.madison.com/gallery/news/local/photos-seminole-highway-bridge-ready-to-open/collection_2bbfeed4-4d83-11e3-b28b-0019bb2963f4.html

JREwing78

Update: As of this morning, the Seminole Highway bridge is open to traffic.

WarrenWallace

Public meeting scheduled for Stage 2 of Verona Road (US 18/151) Project

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/opencms/export/nr/modules/news/news_4357.html_786229440.html

Proposed improvements for stage 2 include:

- Constructing a single point interchange at Verona Road and County PD with Verona Road traffic traveling over County PD.
- Construct a diamond interchange at Williamsburg Way with Verona Road traffic traveling beneath Williamsburg Way.
- WisDOT is also reviewing intersection alternatives for County PD between Fitchrona Road and Verona Road.

The SPUI at 18/151 and PD/McKee is new I believe.
I hate sprawl!

mgk920

I still believe that WisDOT should do the 'Texas frontage road thing' along Verona Rd out to County 'PD', designing it in such a way as to make future real improvements at the Beltline as easy as possible.

This will extend the US 18/151 freeway inward to just short of the Beltline, too, correct?

Mike

tchafe1978

Correct. There will still be stoplights at Raymond Rd. and A RIRO intersection at Summit Rd. (by Home Depot).

Jordanah1

Ugh... I don't understand why they don't just do it all at once and get it over with!! Screw they stupid SPUI at the belt line and just get the damned freeway->freeway connection done! It's badly needed and will increase safety on the road. In addition, if will save alot of money to do it all now, rather than to let the property values go up over the next 20 years and do it in the future... Simply another example of govt waste around here!
"Oshkosh"- "Oh, you mean like 'Oshkosh BGosh'?"

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Jordanah1 on November 28, 2013, 01:19:34 AM
Ugh... I don't understand why they don't just do it all at once and get it over with!! Screw they stupid SPUI at the belt line and just get the damned freeway->freeway connection done! It's badly needed and will increase safety on the road. In addition, if will save alot of money to do it all now, rather than to let the property values go up over the next 20 years and do it in the future... Simply another example of govt waste around here!

Why issue one contract when you can issue two?

The wasteful and inefficient spending in Wisconsin isn't limited to road construction either, but pretty much all state facilities.  It is an absolute joke.

triplemultiplex

WisDOT already owns some of the property it needs for the proposed system interchange at Verona Rd.  Compare the Google aerials to the more recent low-angle aerials on Google and watch some buildings disappear.

Elsewhere on US 51...
WisDOT completed a new overpass on US 51 north of Merrill thus extending the freeway by a couple miles to the next at grade intersection.  This is the one where the gas station was generating an unsafe amount of turning traffic.  I complained at length about this several times.  The gas station has a billboard on the side of it bitching about WisDOT costing people jobs and stuff.  But screw them for building at an unsafe location like that.

Work on the south end of Wausau finished recently and I-39's new SB exit to Bus 51 is so much safer because of it.

On the other end of Wausau, the reconstruction project at Bus 51/CTH K looks like it will get really fun next summer.  They are ready to divert all four lanes around the bridges via the NB exit and entrance ramps once the frost thaws.  Should be a Friday afternoon/evening bottle neck for a couple months.

Deforest's new freeway segment of US 51 is half complete.  South of Vinburn Road is open including the interchange at Windsor Rd. Construction at CTH V/North Street is still in the earlier stages and much earthwork is yet to be done north of there.  About 2 miles of the old alignment will function as a frontage road with the new freeway built just to the east.

Lastly, a shout out to the ballsy deer hunter I saw crossing the controlled access part of US 51 around Tomahawk today, the Sunday after Thanksgiving.  Those freeway fences are there for a reason, bro.  At least the blaze orange made him highly visible.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Jim920

WisDOT has added 2 tenth mile markers along the median I-39/90 from just north of the County N interchange to Janesville (I assume all the way to the stateline as well.)  The new signs use both 39 & 90 shields however, they only use I-90's East/West directionals.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Jim920 on December 08, 2013, 12:37:34 AM
WisDOT has added 2 tenth mile markers along the median I-39/90 from just north of the County N interchange to Janesville (I assume all the way to the stateline as well.)  The new signs use both 39 & 90 shields however, they only use I-90's East/West directionals.
They should have only put I-90 on them.  I believe they are only using 39 to give the route # recognition.  Technically I-39 has no markers since it uses the freeway's (N of the Cascade) original #s, which correspond to US-51.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

JREwing78

Quote from: Jim920 on December 08, 2013, 12:37:34 AM

Just in time for the winter season and 40+ mile backups on I-39/90!

Jim920

Here is a video from a WisDOT traffic cam showing the pile up on SB US-41/45 @ Lannon Rd. just north of Menomonee Falls.  The freeway here is 3 lanes each direction, but only 2 lanes were able to be used. Obviously people were driving way to fast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NW0Nne0zrw

tkiller314

Quote from: Jim920 on December 10, 2013, 01:11:46 AM
Here is a video from a WisDOT traffic cam showing the pile up on SB US-41/45 @ Lannon Rd. just north of Menomonee Falls.  The freeway here is 3 lanes each direction, but only 2 lanes were able to be used. Obviously people were driving way to fast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NW0Nne0zrw

I can't say I am too surprised, having driven this stretch around this time of the year this seems like a common occurrence.

JREwing78

There's a reason I stay the heck off the interstate in inclement weather, if possible.

WarrenWallace

Quote from: WarrenWallace on November 26, 2013, 02:39:16 PM
Public meeting scheduled for Stage 2 of Verona Road (US 18/151) Project

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/opencms/export/nr/modules/news/news_4357.html_786229440.html

Proposed improvements for stage 2 include:

- Constructing a single point interchange at Verona Road and County PD with Verona Road traffic traveling over County PD.
- Construct a diamond interchange at Williamsburg Way with Verona Road traffic traveling beneath Williamsburg Way.
- WisDOT is also reviewing intersection alternatives for County PD between Fitchrona Road and Verona Road.

The SPUI at 18/151 and PD/McKee is new I believe.

Some updates:
http://projects.511wi.gov/documents/34048/1f79fc3c-26b1-4e0a-ac60-811d943dd3a4

Stage 2. http://projects.511wi.gov/web/veronaroad-18-151/exhibits
I hate sprawl!

JREwing78

Interesting pseudo-Michigan Lefts being proposed on County PD.

I've never seen a SPUI (Beltline/Verona Rd) that had piers in the middle of the interchange before. It appears to be arranged in such a way that it'll work fine, but after all the other SPUIs I've seen, it looks strange.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.