News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

SR 37 (Indiana) to become like Keystone Parkway?

Started by silverback1065, May 15, 2013, 06:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

http://www.urbanindy.com/2013/05/15/study-examines-streamlining-in37-on-ne-side/?utm_source=feedly

http://www.indympo.org/Documents/US%2037%20Executive%20Summary.pdf

This is an interesting idea, it's so expensive that I don't see the city doing a similar thing to what Carmel did with SR 431.  So i guess it would likely still be SR 37 if this were to go forward.

NWI_Irish96

I guess SR 37 could get rerouted along I-69 and SR 13 if Fishers/Noblesville wanted to foot the bill for the project.   I don't see the state paying for it.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

trafficsignal

Hamilton County likes to retain control of key routes (146th & Olio are both maintained by the County despite municipality annexation), so if it were to proceed I'd imagine there'd be some sort of funding partnership between the County and the adjoining municipality for each interchange.

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Alps

Wow, I've never seen converting an existing boulevard into a freeway painted in such a positive light in the media.

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

mukade

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 16, 2013, 07:38:39 AM
I guess SR 37 could get rerouted along I-69 and SR 13 if Fishers/Noblesville wanted to foot the bill for the project.   I don't see the state paying for it.

Why not truncate SR 37 at SR 13? The SR 37 designation serves no purpose on either I-465 or I-69 (north of I-465). It would serve even less purpose when I-69 is completed up to Indy from the south.

When it comes right down to it, the state would probably pay for a big chunk of it. Remember, Carmel got $90M from the state for Keystone Parkway. With no Major Moves money now, there would be nothing like $90M.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: mukade on May 17, 2013, 06:28:04 AM

Why not truncate SR 37 at SR 13? The SR 37 designation serves no purpose on either I-465 or I-69 (north of I-465). It would serve even less purpose when I-69 is completed up to Indy from the south.

When it comes right down to it, the state would probably pay for a big chunk of it. Remember, Carmel got $90M from the state for Keystone Parkway. With no Major Moves money now, there would be nothing like $90M.

SR 37 still connects Elwood with Marion, so that's why the reroute instead of the truncation. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

Quote from: Steve on May 16, 2013, 11:37:26 PM
Wow, I've never seen converting an existing boulevard into a freeway painted in such a positive light in the media.

SR 37 isn't a boulevard up there, it's a divided highway with several traffic lights, changing it to be more like keystone and soon to be US 31 would benefit a lot of people in the area, the problem of traffic is only going to get worse, they just added another traffic light at a new crossing at 135th st.  They did this to "spur development" they should have said "to increase congestion"

mukade

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 17, 2013, 07:40:42 AM
Quote from: mukade on May 17, 2013, 06:28:04 AM

SR 37 still connects Elwood with Marion, so that's why the reroute instead of the truncation.

The truncation would be at SR 13 coming from the northeast, not the southwest. There would be no point rerouting a multiplexed SR 37 from Indy to Elwood.

The SR 37 designation itself really doesn't make sense north of Indy anymore either. At one point, it went from the Ohio River to the Ohio line northeast of Fort Wayne. Now it is in small chunks and will lose even more significance as I-69 gets built. What little might remain from Marion to Elwood if they build the parkway might better be marked as SR 15.

tdindy88

Having SR 15 be rerouted along SR 37, IMO all the way south to SR 32/38 from Marion wouldn't be too bad of an idea, and it fits the grid quite nicely, it will just look a little wierd on the map. Beyond that I would wonder what the name of this new highway. I thought I've seen older street maps refer to stretchs of the road as Huntington Avenue or Stringtown Road, but other than that it's always just been SR 37 for those in that area, and I don't personally get choked up over names like "Campus Parkway." At least Keystone had a name to fall back on so that it wouldn't be too unfamilar to those who already knew the road as Keystone.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on May 18, 2013, 03:07:02 PM
Having SR 15 be rerouted along SR 37, IMO all the way south to SR 32/38 from Marion wouldn't be too bad of an idea, and it fits the grid quite nicely, it will just look a little wierd on the map. Beyond that I would wonder what the name of this new highway. I thought I've seen older street maps refer to stretchs of the road as Huntington Avenue or Stringtown Road, but other than that it's always just been SR 37 for those in that area, and I don't personally get choked up over names like "Campus Parkway." At least Keystone had a name to fall back on so that it wouldn't be too unfamilar to those who already knew the road as Keystone.

I hate the name Campus pwky.

Alps

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 18, 2013, 09:43:56 PM
Quote from: tdindy88 on May 18, 2013, 03:07:02 PM

I hate the name Campus pwky.

silverback1065

According to a news report on CH13, it will take 15 years to complete this project!  So get used to congestion for a long time!  I think the state is too preoccupied with other more high profile projects, plus this is expensive, so money is likely a huge issue. 

silverback1065

It would be interesting if they put all michigan lefts on this stretch, it's cheaper, and would help the issue, although not a permanent fix in my opinion. 

ysuindy

Indy Star reporting that Hamilton County, Fishers and INDOT will announce December 10 a plan to convert Indiana 37 in Fishers  to a "roundabout corridor" similar to Keystone Parkway

The approach seems to be to convert each of the existing intersections in Fishers (126th, 131st, 136th, 141st and 146th) to a roundabout interchange.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/hamilton-county/2015/12/02/hamilton-county-convert-ind-37-into-roundabout-corridor/76662594/

No mention of timing in the story.

Noblesville indicated not enough money available at this time to convert intersections between 146th Street and Indiana 32

silverback1065

146th st is the worst of the intersections, they should have removed the one at 135th and did 146th instead, 135th st doesn't even need to exist! does this deal mean the end of SR 37 through here?

mgk920

This kind of makes me wonder if, someday, we might see Binford Bd get the same treatment 'in' from I-69/465 . . . .

<DUCKS and RUNS!!!>

:wow:

Mike

mukade

Quote from: mgk920 on December 03, 2015, 01:32:14 AM
This kind of makes me wonder if, someday, we might see Binford Bd get the same treatment 'in' from I-69/465 . . . .

<DUCKS and RUNS!!!>

Mike

My guess is no. They would need it to connect the south end to I-70 for the road to be effective, and I suspect there would be a lot of opposition to that. Obviously, that would also be very expensive. Secondly, Indy is a big city with its own priorities: 1) controlling crime and 2) promoting the downtown area as a destination. A better Binford Avenue would probably help suburban commuters more than anyone else. Yes, Indy residents could reach the shopping areas to the north easier, but not all of these establishments are in the city. Generally, I have not seen that the city of Indianapolis has been very committed to improving its roads too much.

I would think giving the treatment to roads like (parts of) 146th St. and Ronald Reagan Parkway might be more likely.

silverback1065

Quote from: mgk920 on December 03, 2015, 01:32:14 AM

<DUCKS and RUNS!!!>

Mike

it will never happen, the same everything is still on that road, signals, signage, and pavement since it was SR 37 in 2002, they clearly aren't interested in fixing it.  Money is an issue, or they just don't care, or both.  They need to focus on more than downtown to solve it's many problems, like why everyone is moving out. 

silverback1065

I had a fictional set of projects I wish Indy would do, remove all signals on Meridian st from I-65 to 96th st and replace them all with at grade roundabouts (with roundabout interchanges at 86th, & 96th st).  Do the same to keystone from 71st to I-70, and make binford like keystone parkway to 38th st, then continue with roundabouts on Fall Creek parkway to Meridian st.  (I could go into greater detail, as I know some areas would need further study, but this is off topic.)  It would be a huge undertaking, but it would go a long way to improve traffic flow, safety, and beautify the area.  I always hated how seemingly obsessed with traffic lights Indianapolis is. So many major corridors are filled with them, most of them leading to pointless side roads! 

silverback1065

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/hamilton-county/2015/12/10/here-details-adding-roundabouts-ind-37-hamilton-county/77064270/

SR 37 will not be rerouted, it will stay SR 37 after construction, interchanges on 37 from 126th to 146th for phase 1, 135th will be a RIRO.  Construction to start around 2018.  No money now for anything north of that, but they have a right to extend it as far north as they want, which I believe will ultimately end at 191st st in the far future.  Glad to see 37 won't be rerouted. I bet the interchanges will be more akin to us 31 and not keystone, allowing for higher speeds.

The Ghostbuster

Will this upcoming project reduce congestion on SR 37? How long will it take to complete?

tdindy88

Designs of the roundabouts seem to imply more Keystone Parkway style as opposed to US 31, not that it's much. One of the pictures of the proposed 146th Street roundabouts had in the distance along 146th Street to the west what looked like a grade-seperation with Allisonville Road, at least it looked that way. I don't believe it's planned with this project but I thought some sort of thing was thought about for that intersection.

I'm happy to see SR 37 remain the designation along that stretch, though it appears that Fishers will gain control over the roadway during the construction, would that qualify for a "temporary decommissioning." Unlikely, it just seemed like a term I never heard before for a highway on this site.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on December 10, 2015, 09:21:58 PM
Designs of the roundabouts seem to imply more Keystone Parkway style as opposed to US 31, not that it's much. One of the pictures of the proposed 146th Street roundabouts had in the distance along 146th Street to the west what looked like a grade-seperation with Allisonville Road, at least it looked that way. I don't believe it's planned with this project but I thought some sort of thing was thought about for that intersection.

I'm happy to see SR 37 remain the designation along that stretch, though it appears that Fishers will gain control over the roadway during the construction, would that qualify for a "temporary decommissioning." Unlikely, it just seemed like a term I never heard before for a highway on this site.

there was an idea to put an interchange at allisonville road and 146th, but that's likely all on noblesville.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.