News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErmineNotyours

Oregon uses a sign similar to a "Divided Highway Ahead" sign to indicate a no passing zone, except the barrier in the sign is a cross hatch like this.  (I've looked for confirmation in the latest Oregon Driver's Manual, but they didn't mention it.  Maybe they're phasing it out.)  However, at least a couple of times they've gotten careless and used a regular Divided Highway Ahead sign when there is no divided highway ahead.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ozarkman417

When you can't rotate text in MS Paint

SM-G965U

CoreySamson

Quote from: ozarkman417 on August 04, 2020, 04:47:34 PM

SM-G965U

This has got to be one of the worst signs I've ever seen. Looks like a malformed Ohio with a short, squared-off tail.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

formulanone

Well that's one for the ages.  :-o

noelbotevera

So close yet so far...what they've created is a near replica of Connecticut.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Scott5114

Okay, I get how US-69 markers can end up being posted upside down. But...

Is MoDOT hiring PEs from Oklahoma now?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

csw

Generally posts in this thread and the Worst Of thread are overblown. But this, this is a masterpiece. Bravo.

GaryA

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 04, 2020, 05:35:04 PM

I think it looks more like Ohio with a bad lower-left corner.

odditude

welcome to the state of MOhio.

plain

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 04, 2020, 05:35:04 PM

Normally I'll tell someone "don't give them any ideas", but in this case... by all means, give them some ideas!!
Newark born, Richmond bred

STLmapboy

SM-G965U

Fuck! On behalf of my state I apologize. Where is that sign so I can do a bit of...rotation?  :hmmm:

Edit--nvm, I found the current iteration on Farty-Far in Lebanon, but even that doesn't look great (why does the 5 stand out?).
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

ozarkman417

/\

The order of the routes is different, too. This time around, they just did it in order but normally it has to do with the direction of the route from the interchange. All but Rte 64 go both ways, so 64 should be to the very left.

StogieGuy7

That's amazing! Never would have thought that MO's shape could be mistaken for OH or CT (each of which I now see), but some knuckleheads just proved me wrong...

hbelkins

I had to cock my head sideways to realize that's Missouri after the next big one at New Madrid.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mrsman

Hey, be greatful that you can still read the sign.  Imagine if they got the state shiled oriented correctly, but placed the numbers on sideways.

ozarkman417

The contractor also forgot to replace one of the signs altogether.

This one

rarnold

Quote from: CoreySamson on August 04, 2020, 04:51:15 PM

SM-G965U

This has got to be one of the worst signs I've ever seen. Looks like a malformed Ohio with a short, squared-off tail.

A badly shapen Connecticut, times three.

thenetwork

Quote from: rarnold on August 07, 2020, 07:07:12 PM
Quote from: CoreySamson on August 04, 2020, 04:51:15 PM

SM-G965U

A badly shapen Connecticut, times three.

Or if the shapes of Indiana and Ohio had triplets...

CovalenceSTU

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on July 09, 2020, 09:15:04 PM
Oregon uses a sign similar to a "Divided Highway Ahead" sign to indicate a no passing zone, except the barrier in the sign is a cross hatch like this.  (I've looked for confirmation in the latest Oregon Driver's Manual, but they didn't mention it.  Maybe they're phasing it out.)  However, at least a couple of times they've gotten careless and used a regular Divided Highway Ahead sign when there is no divided highway ahead.

I drive that highway regularly, the crosshatch sign is just an oddly designed Divided Highway sign that's being phased out (they're replacing a lot of old signs on the highway and that's one of them). Here's one with a poorly designed crosshatch - no passing lanes anywhere nearby, but if you go a bit forward there's a turning lane.

The first one you linked is an old picture taken a few years ago (I can tell because there's no sign for the market ahead), that sign has since been taken down and replaced with a normal Divided Highway sign. The second one has a center turning lane ahead, but it's over 1800 feet away - whoever placed the sign did a terrible job and should have placed it at least 1000 feet ahead.

The actual "no passing zone" sign is a bit further up on the first link - it's a giant version of the white "DO NOT PASS" sign (it's 36x48 instead of 18x24).

Offtopic: clicking the first link confused me, because that stretch of highway is so close to my house  :-P

roadman65

This is very wrong. US 75 is no where near Houston.

Sheryl Crowe

STLmapboy

Quote from: roadman65 on September 05, 2020, 11:12:59 AM
This is very wrong. US 75 is no where near Houston.
It was down there until its truncation in 1987. That may be a very old sign or just a modern screwup.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

ozarkman417

I would put this in the state/US mixup thread, but I don't think Virginia uses square shields.

US 60 & 220, Covington, VA

roadman65

If it were TX SH 75 I would, but this is not any kind of Route 75 here.

Sheryl Crowe

US 89

Quote from: roadman65 on September 05, 2020, 09:29:49 PM
If it were TX SH 75 I would, but this is not any kind of Route 75 here.

But as was mentioned above, US 75 used to extend past Dallas, through Houston, and on to Galveston. So that was likely correct when it was put up, and now it's a cool relic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.