News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Kentucky
Last post by hbelkins - Today at 02:45:26 PM
A few years ago, the Kentucky legislature officially changed the name of the Cumberland Parkway to the Cumberland Expressway. I was told by the bill's sponsor that this was done to expedite and facilitate the conversion of the road to I-365, although nothing similar was done to the Purchase, WK, Pennyrile, or Green River Natcher parkways when they became interstates.

I recently drove most of the Cumberland Park/Expressway (from Exit 86 to Exit 1) and noticed that the signs have all been changed along the route in the District 3 (Bowling Green) counties of Metcalfe and Barren. A glance at the KYTC photolog shows that most of the signs along the intersecting routes have been changed as well -- although the overheads on I-65 have not been changed. However, the signs along the route in the District 8 (Somerset) counties of Adair, Russell, and Pulaski have not been changed. The only "Cumberland Expressway" sign I've seen in District 8 is on westbound KY 80 at US 27, where there's a "To Cumberland Expressway (right arrow)" sign. (I find it faster to continue straight at that intersection onto the old alignment of the parkway, as opposed to going north on US 27 for a couple of miles before getting on the parkway where it was extended to become part of the future northern Somerset bypass.)

What makes that more interesting is that the bill's sponsor is from Somerset.
Off-Topic / Re: Random Thoughts
Last post by 1995hoo - Today at 02:44:58 PM
Northeast / Re: Massachusetts
Last post by bob7374 - Today at 02:42:23 PM
Quote from: kramie13 on Today at 01:38:36 PMLooking at Google Street View, I've noticed multiple sign changes along I-195 East in Fall River in a short amount of (recent) time.

In July 2021, the sign for 24 North from 195 East is an "old-style" sign with a "1/2" exit tab and no white horizontal line below "exit 14B".

In October 2022, a new sign was installed replacing the old one, and includes a yellow "LEFT" tab.

In October 2023, the "LEFT" tab has been removed, and exposes the fact that the sign was fabricated with its old sequential number (8B), despite being installed AFTER the exit numbers were switched over to mileage-based ones!  Who dropped the ball here?  This has the exit sign presentation looking really ugly.
Guess they had the same potential problem with the exit tab bracket that caused MassDOT to remove them from signs on I-93, I-95 and elsewhere. New ones have only gone up in a few places, but I haven't seen them south of Boston yet. The overhead signs were designed prior to the exit renumbering in 2017 but were not put up until 2022 since they discovered problems with the soil around the MA 24/I-195 interchange during the initial sign contract that was to install them in 2019-2020.
Northwest / Re: Washington
Last post by TEG24601 - Today at 02:26:39 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on April 28, 2024, 08:59:55 PM
Quote from: kkt on April 28, 2024, 08:48:09 PMYou're gonna die if you go that way?

[Mukilteo Ferry] Terminal Way.

There are quite a few other "Terminal Way" designations in other parts of the country, chiefly near airports or other cargo-handling places.
It would be hilarious if WSDOT gets involved and they have to call is "Whidbey Island Highway" or "Whidbey Island Blvd", given how much distain residents of old Mukilteo have towards the ferry and ferry traffic.
Sepulveda BLVD through the Sepulveda Pass should have been addressed as well. It should be 3 lanes each way with protected bike lanes and sidewalks. Instead there are sections with no pedestrian footpaths. It's very dangerous to ride a bike on it. It is only two lanes each way and can get extremely congested, and has a bottleneck at the tunnel where it narrows to 3 lanes.

I also wish the subway would've been built at the same time the freeway was expanded. It'd be nice to see this country take on more mega projects at once addressing entire corridors instead of segments.
Since we're less than 24 hours from SWPA25, I figured I would post a round-up of important information for tomorrow.

Details about lunch and the itinerary can be found at my site.  Lunch will be $17.50/person, so if you bring $21, the change plus the dollar (which equals 20%) can be gratuity for the servers since that is not included on the bill.

The weather is not looking great as showers will be in the area with possible thunderstorms after 2 PM, and the high temperature will be in the upper 60s as per the National Weather Service.

Attendees will receive a copy of the 2024 official state road map, which has one partially erroneous update since the 2023 edition.
Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 02, 2024, 09:02:10 PMI would be fine with it, but June 29th is the Extra Miler's Club meeting in Lansing, MI.  It may be a nonissue, but there were concerns with Indy having been scheduled that weekend (though I am pretty sure that meet is being postponed).
I thought @Hot Rod Hootenanny canceled it altogether.
Northeast / Re: Interstate 81 in Syracuse
Last post by froggie - Today at 02:08:45 PM
I did awhile back.  But it's probably buried in the dark recesses of an external hard drive somewhere at home.
Central States / Re: Missouri
Last post by Sani - Today at 02:07:38 PM
MoDOT has posted the design-build plans for I-70 between U.S. 63 in Columbia and U.S. 54 in Kingdom City. For Kingdom City, they didn't use any of the proposed alternatives and will instead turn the interchange into a large roundabout.

I feel like they turned the value engineering up to 11 on this one and that roundabout is going to fail pretty quickly with all the semis that exit to use the truck stops. It looks like they also dropped the improvements they were planning to make to the signalized intersection just to the south of the interchange as well. Ugh.
Northeast / Re: Interstate 81 in Syracuse
Last post by Rothman - Today at 02:05:15 PM
Just out of idle curiosity and nothing more, has anyone in here come up with their own mileage-based exit numbers for I-81 from PA to Ontario, following its soon-to-be new routing around current I-481?

(personal inquiry emphasized)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.