News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Posting of emails

Started by hbelkins, November 02, 2019, 05:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Ultimately, any time anyone sends an e-mail, the recipient can do whatever he wants with it, regardless of stupid boilerplate disclaimers lots of law firms like to use claiming that forwarding the message is "strictly prohibited." Same is true, of course, of paper correspondence, the difference being that it's easier to forward e-mail. The old saying remains true: Don't put it in an e-mail if you wouldn't want to see it in the newspaper.

hbelkins' point about segregating personal and work devices is spot-on. It's also a good idea not to use your personal e-mail account for business matters so as to protect your personal account from being discoverable, regardless of whether you're a government employee. I've worked on multiple matters where that sort of thing has become an issue. People who use their personal e-mail accounts for work become quite dismayed when corporate counsel winds up seeing all sorts of private communications–while that stuff doesn't get produced to the adverse party, it can obviously still be quite uncomfortable if your personal e-mail has salacious communications, nude photos, etc. Earlier this year I worked on a matter in which the former employee at the heart of the matter was having an affair. I'm sure his girlfriend did not expect her topless photos to be viewed by an attorney in DC!

(Don't want to get political, but consider how President Trump has continued to use his personal Twitter account instead of the @POTUS account. His tweets have been found to be public records–correctly, of course–and there have been questions raised about whether he can block people.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

It is now apparent to me that an e-mail from a government employee isn't necessarily public record.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.