News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Capsule Street Signs

Started by Henry, September 25, 2014, 01:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

I believe the standard for street signs are blades, which can be seen pretty much everywhere throughout the nation. But I'm also interested in another kind of street sign, which is probably most prevalent in NJ (home of the Tomcat Street Sign Company) and looks like this:

Are there any other cities/states where these capsule-style signs are or have been used?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Zeffy

Oh, that's what those type of street signs are called? These are in my neighborhood, literally about a few minutes walking distance from my house. Here's one right here. Interestingly enough, even closer to my house (30s walking distance), the signs change to this style, AKA street blades.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

PHLBOS

There are white w/black lettering versions of those type signs scattered around Springfield, Delaware County, PA.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

busman_49

Akron, Ohio, still has a bunch of them

PurdueBill

Quote from: busman_49 on September 26, 2014, 04:40:39 PM
Akron, Ohio, still has a bunch of them

Akron indeed has a bunch--sadly not as many as it used to as tall Clearview blades are replacing old signs slowly but surely.  I believe Baltimore also had its share.  (Akron and Baltimore also had small but measurable numbers of Walk/Wait signals until recently, interestingly enough.)

busman_49

not to hijack this thread, but Akron was where I first saw 12" Wait/Walk signals

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

mariethefoxy

Ive seen a lot of them on the south fork of Long Island, in Southampton and East Hampton. Town of Hempstead has a few scattered about, but those and the top and bottom metal border blade signs are dwindling fast as the town replaces them larger ones with this odd not quite clearview font.

ErmineNotyours

Wenatchee, Washington.  2006.

thefraze_1020

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on December 16, 2020, 12:09:19 AM
Wenatchee, Washington.  2006.

A whole bunch of those were just up for auction on Public Surplus.
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

Scott5114

It would be cool if these had semitransparent panels and LEDs inside.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

marleythedog

Dayton, Ohio still has quite a few of these in its historic districts.

danzarblx

My town has tons of them, however a lot of them got replaced by Series B or Clearview blades recently.
"Studying New Jersey's roads, one click at a time."

epzik8

Pretty sure there are some in some boroughs and cities in Pennsylvania
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

mariethefoxy

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.