Illinois freeway history research

Started by Revive 755, October 15, 2009, 05:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Spent some time today going through another university library and turned up a few interesting tidbits - only the ones generally relating to Illinois are listed here:

Champaign-Urbana

* In the past there were long-range plans for a southern bypass of the area, running south of Church Road and connecting to I-74 east of the IL 130 interchange.  Seems to have died.

* I-74 had two full cloverleafs east of I-57 that have since been downgraded to diamonds - think one was at US 45, but can't remember exactly (it was too wet and too long of walk back to the car for copies).

Quad Cities
* The area transportation plan had the freeway that is now I-88 extending inward towards downtown Moline, but not connecting to I-74.  A further extension that would have provided a freeway from I-88 that tied into the end of the IL 92 freeway was not adopted.

* The supplemental freeway for the US 67 corridor was shown using the IL 92 freeway.

* Back when this study was done it was recognized that the Quad Cities area would need another Mississippi River crossing in addition to those that exist today.  Still waiting for it.

* Not in Illinois, but the now completely dead freeway for the US 61 corridor in Davenport apparently had the direct connection to the Centennial Bridge cut as part of this study.

Supplemental Freeway Study by consultant in 1976

* This study seemed to be the results of cost increases for the supplemental freeway program  and a few corridors/sections having EIS's rejected.  It gave recommendations as whether to proceed with a freeway, expressway, or improved two lane route.

* The now dead freeway from the IL 3 interchange at the PSB complex to I-57 at Marion was recommended to be scaled back to only be a freeway from the PSB complex to Waterloo.

* I think what is now I-72 west of Jacksonville was recommended as only a two lane road, and what is now I-39 was recommended only as an expressway (am planning to go back and take another read through this study again).

Alex

QuoteNot in Illinois, but the now completely dead freeway for the US 61 corridor in Davenport apparently had the direct connection to the Centennial Bridge cut as part of this study.

Is this the same "561 Freeway" proposed mentioned on Jason Hancock's Quad Cities page? Was there any more details on it?

QuoteWhile "Freeway 561" south of I-80 was killed by the Davenport city council in favor of an extension of the Harrison/Brady one-way system on September 4, 1975, the US 61 freeway between I-80 and US 30 in De Witt was completed on December 1, 1982.

Alex

Quote from: Revive 755 on October 15, 2009, 05:46:43 PM
Spent some time today going through another university library and turned up a few interesting tidbits - only the ones generally relating to Illinois are listed here:

Quad Cities
* The area transportation plan had the freeway that is now I-88 extending inward towards downtown Moline, but not connecting to I-74.  A further extension that would have provided a freeway from I-88 that tied into the end of the IL 92 freeway was not adopted.

* The supplemental freeway for the US 67 corridor was shown using the IL 92 freeway.

Would this extension of the Interstate 88 freeway travel through downtown East Moline as well? When you refer to the further extension to the end of the Illinois 92 freeway, is that the current Centennial Freeway, or another proposed freeway for the state route?

The supplemental freeway for U.S. 67 exists as part of the IL-92/Centennial Freeway? Was the road going to tie directly into the bridge or lead southward beyond Interstate 280?

misterdeez

QuoteChampaign-Urbana

* In the past there were long-range plans for a southern bypass of the area, running south of Church Road and connecting to I-74 east of the IL 130 interchange.  Seems to have died.

I thought the Curtis Road exit (Exit 232) might have been considered a bypass (but in reality, not), but a southern bypass for Champaign-Urbana would make perfect sense now.  Like all things IDOT, not happening!  :(

Alex

I have seen three different maps showing three different names for the Illinois 92 freeway in Rock Island: Rock Island Parkway, Centennial Freeway, Centennial Expressway. What is the current name?

Revive 755

Quote from: AARoadsIs this the same "561 Freeway" proposed mentioned on Jason Hancock's Quad Cities page? Was there any more details on it?

I believe it was the "561 Freeway," and there was a map showing interchange locations.  Probably a decent amount of discussion about it, but there were several other studies I wanted to at least skim at the time (early Cincinnati, Louisville, Chicago, and Albuquerque).

Quote from: AARoadsWould this extension of the Interstate 88 freeway travel through downtown East Moline as well? When you refer to the further extension to the end of the Illinois 92 freeway, is that the current Centennial Freeway, or another proposed freeway for the state route?

IIRC, the extension of the I-88 freeway was to continue west towards the Mississippi, parallel the railroad track/IL 84 along the river, and terminate around 7th Street.  The rejected option was to have this freeway continue west along/near the riverfront to connect with the already built(?) then IL 199/now IL 92 freeway at the US 67/Centennial Bridge.

Quote from: AARoadsThe supplemental freeway for U.S. 67 exists as part of the IL-92/Centennial Freeway? Was the road going to tie directly into the bridge or lead southward beyond Interstate 280?

I was originally under the impression that the US 67 freeway/FAP 413 was going to be a direct continuation of the US 61 freeway in Iowa into Illinois somehow, but either I was mistaken or the section staying closer to US 67 between I-280 and the Mississippi River had been canceled by the time of this study.  This study had the freeway coming up from the south, overlaying the now IL 92 freeway to the Centennial Bridge, and accessing the bridge with a slightly better interchange than what currently exists today - the ramps between  IL 92 and the Mississippi River weren't built.

Earlier Illinois Supplemental Freeway plan for partial reference:
http://www.midwestroads.com/illinois/il%20supp%20fwy.pdf

I have extensive info on the supplemental freeway system.  It's the original Wilbur Smith Study - many of the corridor studies and what routes are still under construction study, etc.
The 1976 study was never official.  IDOT denies the original was, but they issued freeway bonds and put many of the routes in their annual budget.  In 1983 they were turned into principal arterials and that is what they are today.  None are completly dead but several like Illinois 1 are very dormant.
The Gaines Street Expressway in Davenport is indeed dead and I think may have only existed in that study.
You should see the 1971 Interim CATS Plan for Chicago!

[Edited out grammar/spelling - AlpsROADS]

Revive 755

^ Just found it via Google.  Not sure the link below will work; the document is not displaying a web address in reader.
http://www.cmap.illinois.gov/WorkArea/linkit.aspx?LinkIdentifier=id&ItemID=6664

Another Chicago area plan:
http://www.catsmpo.com/pub/reports/history/cats_1954-62.pdf

Right The 1962 plan was very close to the 1971 interim plan
I can go over each supplemental freeway route and what happened to it as well when I am feeling better.
It would be really great if someone could post a map I am sure one can be found on google

Revive 755

Came across this the other day:
http://www.lib.niu.edu/1975/ii750255.html

Didn't realize I-255 was apparently coming close to cancellation - wondering if there were other sections of I-255 that were controversial besides the section near Cahokia Mounds.  Originally it was suppose to continue more northerly than northeasterly after I-64, putting it closer to the area and I believe on the west side of the visitors center there.

I'm also curious where this construction on the East St. Louis-Marion supplemental freeway occurred.

Also found from the St. Clair County Comprehensive plan that the originally proposed freeway from the Tudor Ramps at the PSB Complex to somewhere on IL 15 around I-255 may be dormant as a lower grade (non-freeway) facility. (See page 54/90):
http://www.co.st-clair.il.us/NR/rdonlyres/F3A3F090-63E8-4959-8240-065B99FD0342/0/081104SCCCompPlanTextforWebsite.pdf

I did not know that about 255 . The good news is it will be finished and more work will continue on FAP 413-US 67
The supplemental freeways are now expressways. I am intrigued about shared 4 that MO is trying . It might be a good alternative on some moribund Illinois projects

Revive 755

I found another study for the St. Louis area from the late 1960's that indicates the real controversial stretch of I-255 was the part through Frank Holten State Park.

This study was looking at what roads to improve or add to the area via several network simulations.  One of the networks included a new bridge somehow connecting I-55 and MO 755 to IL 157 to relieve congestion on the PSB, but the network maps weren't clear on the alignment for the bridge.  The bridge did not draw enough traffic to be worth constructing.

Revive 755

Since I've managed to get a lot more time to look at the Quad Cities study while being near a computer, I've put together a Google map showing the recommendations:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=117499567522166489363.00047d76987e5e427dff9&z=11

I might add in a few of the considered but rejected routes later, including a further extension of the John Deere Expressway to now the now IL 92 freeway and the "I-88" Extension to the east end of the now IL 92 freeway

Great Map
74 will be the new bridge. The Centennial and Arsenal are old but well built and under capacity . Aresenl will be closed to public this summer for contruction. There was talk of a bridge east of 74 but itwent nowhere.
67 to Monmouth would really be more than fine as a shared 4 There are 3 miles of 3 lane now and preemption and Viola just need the lines repainted. The busiest strech is 6000 vpd in Rock Island County

froggie

Have you ever thought about scanning in the maps from these transportation studies, or taking a digital photo of the maps and posting them online instead of using Google Maps to draw them out?

Revive 755

^ Main reason I haven't put images online is due to the lack of a personal website; also moderately concerned about copyright issues for some of them

bugo

The most interesting unbuilt freeway in Illinois to me is the phantom I-64/US 50 freeway.

Scott5114

Does that explain the bizarre configuration of I-55/64/70 through East St Louis?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

And 755s maps are nicer than some of the documents. I have seen them

No US 50 is being studied as a 4 lane expressway. Part was built for 64 and the supplemental freeway sysytem. Now the I57 to IN -I 69 is being studied. Maybe it could be the Southern Illiana!

Realitically I think it should be a shared 4 . The east part just needs the lines repainted

froggie

Quote^ Main reason I haven't put images online is due to the lack of a personal website; also moderately concerned about copyright issues for some of them

Flickr/Photobucket/Picasa/etc etc takes care of that problem.  And I wouldn't be concerned about "copyright issues" for agency planning documents....

Revive 755

Found a 1970's plan for Rockford, IL today.  Only freeway cancellation appears to be a Southeasterly radial along some railroad tracks.  The freeway that evolved into I-39 underwent a shift westward, with the one shown on the map not having a section concurrent with the US 20 bypass.  Many of the expressways shown seem to have been built.  Google map:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=117499567522166489363.0004803d2cb2e90b6fa6a&z=11

MikeTheActuary

Yeah, I'm late to the party.

Quote from: Revive 755 on October 15, 2009, 05:46:43 PM

Champaign-Urbana

* I-74 had two full cloverleafs east of I-57 that have since been downgraded to diamonds - think one was at US 45, but can't remember exactly (it was too wet and too long of walk back to the car for copies).

That other exit would be the Neil Street exit, exit 182, and the exit for the Market Place mall.

*sniff* It's sad to see Shampoo-Banana with fewer cloverleaves.  One of my earliest roadgeek memories, dating back to my first incarnation in C-U (lived there through age 6, and then again for college) was of marveling over the beauty of the cloverleaves, and of my parents amusing me by going through all four petals at interchange after interchange.

I don't remember whether that was before or after my parents taught me to read by using BGS's.

Revive 755

Above is an excerpt the minimum build network for Rockford from the study.  The xxxx pattern indicates routes that would not be built if there was insufficient funding to carry out the full plan.

This excerpt comes from Plate 3 from F.A.I. Route 270 From Collinsville To SIU-E Draft Environmental Impact Statement Volume II  The folded diamond at the bottom is the Horseshoe Lake Road interchange.  I haven't included all of FAP 413 since there is a separate EIS for it, but the map does show an alignment that looks very close to the one being built.

I'm actually surprised there weren't more alternatives for this section of highway; I had been expecting one that would be west of the as built alignment. 

Note the I-870 designation for the section of I-270 between what is now I-255 and Troy.  Also note the plan for a semi-direct ramp between WB Poag Road and what is now SB IL 255.  I'm guessing this was to accommodate SIUE traffic. 

There's mention in the DEIS of a connector from South University Drive to I-270 that would provide a bypass of the IL 157/Chain of Rocks Road intersection and tie directly into I-270 with a half semi-directional T interchange.  This connector is mentioned as an improvement until the FAP 413/IL 255 route was built.  There were two alignments due to the alternatives for I-270; one branching off I-270 west of the Sand Road overpass for the East I-270 alignment with a brief overlay of Chain of Rocks Road, and the other branched off east of the Sand Road overpass for the western I-270 alignment

I have the FAP 413 EIS(and most of the other Illinois EISs). It had a lot of alternates but mostly on the north end.
I have heard Rockford wants a western bypass Considering the cost my guess is it gets nowhere like the Peoria,Bloomington and Decatur proposals
There was a Springfield study from that era as well
I just found Will County 2030 is out Kane has been for a while.
I think there are 2020 plans for Lake,McHenry,Dekalb and Kankakee
They include the county suggestions for the state systems as well
I have not read the new Will but it should be interesting because WIll likes to build

Revive 755

Quote from: 3467 on February 23, 2010, 08:44:38 PM
I have heard Rockford wants a western bypass Considering the cost my guess is it gets nowhere like the Peoria,Bloomington and Decatur proposals

The Peoria bypass is actually under study again:
http://www.easternbypass.com/

I think it might get a protected corridor if IDOT really feels the need for it, though it might only get that far like the Gateway Connector has.

Speaking of the Gateway Connector, there's a letter in the EIS's for now I-255 between I-55/70 and I-270 from the Collinsville School District that seems to indicate a study was underway for a similar outerbelt back then.

The supplemental freeway study I mentioned early was done by Seelye Stevenson Value & Knecht, Inc, and Nelson, Ostrom, Baskin, Berman & Assoc. Inc., and is dated March 1976.  There's three routes that don't seem to be included in the online map (http://www.midwestroads.com/illinois/il%20supp%20fwy.pdf):  one for IL 35 from the US 20 route to the Wisconsin border, and the unbuilt freeway between Congress Parkway and the spur off of I-90/94 south of I-55.  It's hard to tell from the pdf map, but the Elgin-O' Hare route was also included.

Quote from: 3467There was a Springfield study from that era as well
I've come across one older Springfield plan, but didn't see any new freeways planned.  An MTR post mentioned that I-55 was once planned to run through the downtown area, but I've yet to find any verification of that.

I've relocated the

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.